What's new

Wild Mouse at BPB Closure - R.I.P. 1958-2017

Will

Strata Poster
Blackpool and co. tend not to be very good at letting other people salvage their own rides - I'm possibly forgetting something, but can only think of Space Invader II that's gone on to live any kind of meaningful life elsewhere. They couldn't give everything at Southport the chainsaw treatment quickly enough...

rob666

Hyper Poster
I was the person who put the original post on the old CPBE website that said it was closing...I heard from an old family friend, who I had known for fifty years, I didn't have any reason to not believe them.
It was closed because of repeated recorded incidents, sometimes up to three a day, and it was the park owners decision to do so, H&S allegedly were happy with it reopening.
The final straw I think was the tripe advisor review at the end of August where there was a seat belt accidental release...they were altered so that it couldn't be repeated.
Can't see it being rebuilt elsewhere, it doesn't meet modern clearance envelope standards.
Sad, sad, sad.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
If someone would have asked me before this had happened, would you rather Icon to be built and sacrifice the Wild Mouse, or keep the Wild Mouse open and not build Icon, I would definitely shut the mouse down and build Icon. Icon will generally be superior, and a better ride. Although it is sad the Wild Mouse has shut, they will replace it with... something.

Will

Strata Poster
I'm loathed to count Circus Clowns/Wacky Worms/Big Apples etc. - but as I typed that, I had a feeling somebody would put me right :)

Should Wild Mouse go, it will not be replaced by anything of the same calibre - and it's daft to look at Icon as a replacement as it takes up different space, and would have been built anyway.

Last edited:

lachlan

Mega Poster
If someone would have asked me before this had happened, would you rather Icon to be built and sacrifice the Wild Mouse, or keep the Wild Mouse open and not build Icon, I would definitely shut the mouse down and build Icon. Icon will generally be superior, and a better ride. Although it is sad the Wild Mouse has shut, they will replace it with... something.
Yes but many launched and even multi-launch coasters exist around the world. There is only a handful of these left. I would honestly rather have the mouse open.

Dipper_Dave

Roller Poster

I'm not sure how it will be a 'better ride' just because it is new. Yes it will be replaced by something. A food stall, games hut, or boring ride probably. The Mouse was a one off. I, along with many others I reckon, cannot imagine anything in its space ever being better than it. I am greatly looking forward to Icon by the way, but its a totally different ride and I don't see why they had to lose something so historic before Icon opens.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I don't think Icon has anything to do with this, I think even if Icon wasn't being built that it would happen anyway. I think we should leave Icon out of this, so negativity isn't aimed towards it.

And RCDB now lists it as defunct:-

https://rcdb.com/796.htm

TilenB

Strata Poster
Blackpool and co. tend not to be very good at letting other people salvage their own rides - I'm possibly forgetting something, but can only think of Space Invader II that's gone on to live any kind of meaningful life elsewhere. They couldn't give everything at Southport the chainsaw treatment quickly enough...
To be fair, I believe the Southport's Wild Mouse was dismantled and picked up by the people behind the Dreamland project. It's reported to still be in storage somewhere, but I doubt it'll get built anytime soon.

lachlan

Mega Poster
I don't think Icon has anything to do with this, I think even if Icon wasn't being built that it would happen anyway. I think we should leave Icon out of this, so negativity isn't aimed towards it.

To be honest you were the person who brought up Icon to begin with.

For me at least I certainly feel less excited about Icon now. Launched coasters exist all over the globe. I was looking forward to revisiting the Mouse (only had one ride back in 2013) and that's not going to happen now.

I'm sure I'll still visit at some point this year but I'm less inclined now.

Dipper_Dave

Roller Poster

To be fair you mentioned Icon first! I have not directed any negativity towards Icon, and don't see why anyone else would either. I will be in the queue to ride it as soon as I possibly can and fully expect it to be a superb ride. Anyway, I don't want to start an argument, I am just devastated at the Mouse's closure so emotions are running high. I doubt any ride will ever match its intensity and sheer levels of fun and hilarity. I mean, nobody came off this without a huge grin on their face. . well, maybe the whingers who ran to the accident book and review sites did. I hope these people are pleased with themselves.

davidm

Strata Poster
Posted on the ECC fb site;
BPB Statement in Ref to the Removal of the "Wild Mouse"

After very careful consideration and planning, our current winter work programme has seen the permanent closure and dismantling of the Wild Mouse and the removal of the facade of the former Trauma Tower attractions. This will create an area for future exciting developments.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach is a constantly evolving amusement park and has been for the past 122 years. The changes it has seen over the years are what has made it the great park it is today. This, coupled with a relatively small amount of space, means that in order to progress and look to the future we occasionally need to alter the landscape of the park to make way for future developments.

sandgrown

Mega Poster
Bastards!
I'm from the South Shore area of Blackpool. The Pleasure Beach was my first ever job. Before that I spent almost every day of my adolescence there with my cousin and friends - that is when it was a place that was just part of the town to Blackpudlans and not ever referred to as a "theme park". Now I live away from home but the first place I took my new girlfriend when i went home was to the park. It's a massive part of my life. Next year I'm trying to get friends from around the UK and Spain together to go there, with the little two-seater being one of the highlights.

I absolutely love the Mouse and this is a stupid mistake. A brilliant ride that I have so many memories of. It's bad enough that the Pleasure Beach doesn't even get painted any more, that it has lost most of its funfair atmosphere, and it's closed off from the townUnlike her dad, Amanda is never there walking around, and is letting it rot in some ways. This is a real kick in the balls. I've been reading this forum for a few weeks and it's clearly the only ride we've got that any of you rate. I have been really excited about Icon but **** that now, I'd rather keep the mouse and not have that built.

I'm so upset so I'm just spouting random, badly-formed sentences on a forum. But i guess you guys will understand.

I'm very unhappy at losing something so fantastic. I'm glad one of my best mates accidentally drove the Ice Drome golf buggy into Amanda's car now. It was 25 years ago and he got sacked for denting it, but it's the only happy thought I can come with now.

Smithy

Strata Poster

You mentioned Icon literally 14 minutes before this post you twonk.

Yes but many launched and even multi-launch coasters exist around the world. There is only a handful of these left. I would honestly rather have the mouse open.

On your own. Icon will hopefully drag the park out of the red and into the black; Wild Mouse may have a nostalgiac pull for enthusiasts but for most members of the public it's not going to draw them into the park; Icon will.

That's a ****ter of a statement. They've handled this poorly.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I am so, so ****ing sad about this - and am kicking myself that we didn't make a point of riding it when I visited for my Hen Party back in August. Ironically we skipped it because the queue was too long, so clearly it was still a popular attraction! Ffs...

Also, interesting that of all the listed rides at Blackpool, this wasn't one. Anybody have any info on why this may be?