What's new

Wiener Prater - The World's Wurst Static Fun Fair

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
You know when you collect football stickers / Pokemon cards; and you end up getting loads of duplicates of the same crappy player and no special shiny ones?

Wiener Prater is the amusement park equivalent of that. The park inexplicably has multiple versions of the same mediocre rides, with nothing shiny or special crammed a top its concrete. I counted:

- 5 ghost trains (!?)
- 3 dodge thems
- 3 spinning coasters
- 3 go kart tracks
- 2 gravitrons
- 2 boosters
- 2 really ugly big wheels

And I wasn't paying much attention, because I was too busy moaning about what a rip-off dump the place is.

If you aren't already aware, each ride at Prater is owned and operated by individual vendors. So there's no nice 'all day wristband' available. You have to pay per ride. Cred prices ranged from 3.50 - 5 Euro depending on how slightly above or below average it was.

With 11 creds on offer (Goon alert: Autobergbahn is a spiteful kiddie cred); you're looking at spending at least 40 Euros just for the pleasure of ticking boxes on Coaster Count (because you won't get any pleasure on the rides themselves).
Expect to lose a whopping 65 Euros if you want to chance it on the interesting-looking flat / dark rides as well. :x

Let's start with the parks newest cred: an indoor Gerstlauer spinning coaster named 'Maskerade'. I already hated it because it's name falls prey to that stupid belief that spelling mistakes make things more 'fun'.

The track colour is gorgeous though.

11102768_10153180756695081_8913823322204133914_n.jpg

Anyway. The coaster didn't look open. There were building men still doing work to the exterior of the ride building. But annoying man in the booth insisted it was open and kept harping on that I must ride it. (That's the kind of vibe at Prater, like the ops are desperate for your money.)

So I walked up the bland office like stairs, sat in the ride cart and noticed that THERE WAS STILL BUBBLE WRAP ON THE FLOOR OF THE CART! They hadn't even bothered to remove it!

The coaster is very, very short. The ride building, due to having massive holes in it for the track to roam outside, is completely light. There are no visual effects. But there is a sad looking disco ball at the top. There was music playing, it's in the building, not on board the ride. I got an orchestral version of Guns N Roses, no complaints about that.

Due to being so fresh out the packet, this was possibly the smoothest coaster I've ever ridden. But it literally does nothing, it barely spins and the layout is uninspired.

The most exciting part was getting stuck on the brake run for 15 minutes. The engineer came out in a pair of dungarees, and he seemed to have no idea what he was doing.

You know that Simpson's episode where Homer avoids a meltdown at the power plant by doing 'Eeniee-meenie-miny-mo' on the buttons? I swear the engineer was doing that too. He was just making random stabs and looking lost. I couldn't believe it. In the end they figured out they had to align our cart so it was straight to get it to release back into the station.

To make my mood worse, the ride opposite 'Maskerade' is this:

11205986_10153180756580081_6534283699554869188_n.jpg

The photo doesn't really capture it. One of the cruelest exploitations of animals I've seen in an amusement park. All these horses are chained tightly together to form a living, breathing carousel. Disgusting. I really hope the park gets rid of this soon.

Tucked away behind Maskerade is the 65 year old woodie-avec-brakeman 'Hochshaubahn'. I love the 100 year old woodie-avec-brakeman at Tivoli Gardens, so was looking forward to this one. It's awful. It does NOTHING. It's basically a kiddie train ride. It doesn't even feel like a roller coaster.

Moving on. As I endured the Volare, the boomerang, the Reverchon mouse and the SBF kiddie cred; I noticed something...

19619_10153180756485081_1862669976387773622_n.jpg

11182175_10153180756550081_4967905523395451284_n.jpg

Prater have colour-coded all their worst roller coasters! All of these awful machines are painted a vile combination of red and yellow; just like those insects that have gross colour schemes according to how venomous they are.

If it's red and yellow at Prater, it will give you a headache!

Anyway. I suppose I should be positive about something for a minute. The best coaster in the park is 'Insider'- an indoor Maurer spinner. It's name makes me think of those cinema cards you can buy at Showcase.

The indoor queue line features a mirror maze AND a laser maze! For approximately 43 seconds, I was actually having fun at Prater!

The coaster is ok too, although I expected more of an exciting layout from a Maurer spinner. This one is very similar to the classic Reverchon mouse, with lots of hairpin turns. It had bangin indoor music though. Makes me wander why they bothered to build that shoddy Mess-karade this year, when the park already has a better version of an indoor spinning coaster with Insider.

Continuing on the positive theme, Prater has one amazing stand-out ghost train. Being a big fan of ghost trains, I was a bit stuck for choice by the 5 that were on offer here. I didn't want to spend even more money riding all of them, so I looked at their facades and decided to go for 'Hotel Psycho'.

It looks impressive from the outside:

11150678_10153180756710081_337085226151278663_n.jpg

11141330_10153180756720081_5509225875682212064_n.jpg

It has a 12+ age limit and lots of warning signs everywhere, which can only be a good thing!

The individual carts spin around in pitch black, making it really disorientating. The ride music is proper horror film music - ominous sub-bass and creepy synthesizers interspersed with nerve-jangling loud noises. The animatronics and effects were ridiculous! Witches floating out of chairs, zombies on the ride track getting 'run over' by the ride car, ghouls smashing through the windows... I've ridden many ghost trains but this was the next level. It's the only ride that made the trip to Prater worthwhile! Loved it <3

There's no point in saying much about the other creds at Prater because they were all, to quote nadroJ, **** ****.

So I've summarized them on a chart instead:

11234978_10153180839620081_9040238333153058722_n.jpg

Here are some highlights from Praters selection of odd flat / dark rides. Firstly, there was Thing On A Bit Of String:

11226189_10153180756360081_6682048160374023009_n.jpg

The seats were just dangling from the ride arm by those tiny wires!

Then there was Creepy Crappy Dark Ride With Falsely Alluring Fab Facade:

10983579_10153180756540081_1671176920958040160_n.jpg

Look at the wonderful outside! The inside was nothing like that.

Tarted Up Storm Surge:

11165055_10153180756405081_5971375644588501175_n.jpg

If only Thorpe Parks' looked more like this and less like a mouldy rainbow. *sigh*

And 'Extasy' - the flat ride indoors. (I wonder if it releases indoorphins)

11018101_10153180756455081_5406407563560099834_n.jpg

11259439_10153180756395081_3176486491535524604_n.jpg

In conclusion, I'm glad I didn't make the effort to come to Vienna just for this lousy park. It's only worth bothering with if you happen to be the city already. I wouldn't even class it as an Amusement Park, the place is so disorganised and mish-mashed that it feels more like a Static Fun Fair. Cheap, tacky, over priced.

Oh well. I have returned home with my Coaster Count resting tantalizingly on 299. That almost makes it worthwhile!

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Oh Vienna.

Wow, I almost feel better about cancelling my trip there! At least you have the creds and don't have to worry about going back any time soon.

Maybe Midge Ure was singing about the Prater when he sang the words "This means nothing to me".

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I see what you're saying, but I think you're kind of missing the whole point of Prater. It is crap if you're viewing it from an enthusiast point of view or viewing it as a theme/amusement park day out because that's really not what it is.

It IS just a permanent fairground, but that's the point of it. The locals view it as a place to hang out for food and drinks - the atmosphere at night is great - and maybe jump on a ride or two. They're not going there for a day out to ride everything.

For us, it's expensive because we have to ride all the coasters, and is mostly lacking in decent rides. For a place to hang out in the middle of a major city though, it's great.

It also has the best Boomerang thanks to the lap bars. The woodie is s**t though; I agree there.

I actually really enjoyed Prater for what it is, which is a permanent fun fair as you've pointed out. I found it loads better than the average fun fair though (considering most of our fairs over here are two or three rides plonked in the parking lot of a mall for two days), but the cost to get all of the creds and the lack of an all day pass was really an abomination. There was so much more there I wanted to try out, but it was pricey, so I couldn't. The Volare was really bad, I do agree, but I liked the Boomerang and the kiddie wooden coaster.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Fantastic report. No sugar coating, but I think Gavin's on point with this one.

TilenB

Strata Poster
I agre with Gavin and LFTL on this one. The park gets much more atmospheric during the evening, since a lot of locals come here to hang out and ride a ride or two. Tourist mostly visit to place to see the Ferris Wheel, which is, to my knowledge, now the sole example of one from the late 19th century (and was for some reason completely voided in your TR). But it IS going to disappoint enthusiasts like ourselves who expect a nicely themed amusement rides, with a theming that connects individual areas, etc., since it's not that. I think it remains one of the few examples of how the amusement parks used to be before Disney and Six Flags reformed the industry (for good, don't get me wrong).

Radaxian said:
Let's start with the parks newest cred: an indoor Gerstlauer spinning coaster named 'Maskerade'. I already hated it because it's name falls prey to that stupid belief that spelling mistakes make things more 'fun'.

Don't tell me you are one of those ignorant people who think that English is the only language spoken in our world and that everybody should speak it and name their **** in it. Y'know, they speak German in Austria... ;)

http://en.pons.com/translate?q=masquera ... c_en&lf=de

Radaxian said:
Tucked away behind Maskerade is the 65 year old woodie-avec-brakeman 'Hochshaubahn'. I love the 100 year old woodie-avec-brakeman at Tivoli Gardens, so was looking forward to this one. It's awful. It does NOTHING. It's basically a kiddie train ride. It doesn't even feel like a roller coaster.

It's sans-brakeman and that what makes it bad, IMO. The coaster designed to operate with one will always be butchered upon it's removal. Regular brakes just kill the pacing in the completely wrong spots. Those of you that have been to Bakken after KumbaK trains replaced the old ones know how that's like.

Otherwise, it was a nice little report and I mostly agree with the points you made, although I did miss a bit more of an insight on the Boomerang, which is, in my opinion, the best one out there. :D

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Brilliant report!
I'd love to have bubble wrap on a coaster, especially if said coaster is ****, so I have some form of entertainment!

The place look like a dive!

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
TilenB said:
Don't tell me you are one of those ignorant people who think that English is the only language spoken in our world and that everybody should speak it and name their **** in it. Y'know, they speak German in Austria... ;)

No, I'm one of those ignorant people who doesn't bother to look up ride names on a translator! :oops: My bad!

TilenB said:
It's sans-brakeman and that what makes it bad, IMO. The coaster designed to operate with one will always be butchered upon it's removal.

There definitely was a brakeman sat at the back. I thanked him as we got off the ride. In German ;)

gavin said:
It IS just a permanent fairground, but that's the point of it. The locals view it as a place to hang out for food and drinks - the atmosphere at night is great - and maybe jump on a ride or two. They're not going there for a day out to ride everything.

I see your point, maybe if I hadn't been wearing my Goon Glasses I'd have appreciated Prater more for what it is. I did think to myself 'this place would be better all lit-up at night' as I left.

On the subject of the Boomerang, I negected to mention that it's definitely the most comfortable one I've ridden. No OTHRs to bash your head into on the cobra roll. But.. it's still a Boomerang, it still goes backwards (bleurgh) and jerks through the inversions.

Thanks for reading my report. I hope it has lowered any Goony expectations of the park so others may actually enjoy visiting it for the first time :)

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Very good report. I'm going in just over a week now, so thanks for lowering my expectations :)

To be honest, I'm more looking forward to the ridiculous selection of spinning flats. The coasters themselves never really attracted me to the park, but at least there is a lot of them.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^It's fair enough though. We look at RCDB, see 8/9 coasters and gear ourselves up for a "proper" park day.

My advice to anyone who hasn't been yet:

View it more like a travelling fair, be prepared to spend money accordingly and go in the evening.

S

SimonSays99

In 2012 we had a hotel between Praterstern and the Danube and every evening I rounded off the day with some spins on Funtime's Black Mamba - IMO one of the best rides at the park.

Also liked the rafting ride from abc rides - spins like crazy.

Als noteworthy the Funtime highflyer after dark with great views over the city.

But have to agree that some parts of the park look quite shadowy after dark. But the city is trying to re-vitalize the area with new lighting and re-established Eisvogel Restaurant - overpriced but good food.

Overall you Vienna is there for culture and coffee houses - they offer amazing (!!!) cakes and pastry. So nothing for people on a diet...

Attachments

• blackmamba1.jpg
    blackmamba1.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 42
  • blackmamba2.jpg
    blackmamba2.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 42

TilenB

Strata Poster
There definitely was a brakeman sat at the back. I thanked him as we got off the ride. In German

Glad to hear it was reintroduced. There definitely weren't any when I visited 2 years ago. It was also at around that time when rcdb stopped listing the ride to have a brakeman, so I just (incorrectly) assumed they didn't make a change after just 2 seasons. :D