What's new

Why do people hate VR on roller coasters?

TLARides

Hyper Poster
I really don't get it. What's so bad about it? Makes the ride more interesting, right?

Right?

I've got no problem with it. And I don't see why others would.

Does it just make people sicker on the ride or does it just completely ruin the ride experience? I tried Iron Dragon VR on my last trip to Cedar Point. Didn't seem too bad to me.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Three main reasons.

1. Theme parks are seen by the vast majority as a social experience. You go to theme parks to share the fun with whoever you go with. Putting on a headset means that there is more isolation from others during a ride.

2. One of the best things about rollercoasters is interaction with surrounding terrain in the real world. This interaction is lost when transferred to the virtual world. I imagine some of this is also due to the fact that theme parks are about escapism, and much of modern life is spent looking at screens already.

3. Operations are slowed by the addition of VR meaning longer queues.

I can't judge myself as I've not done any VR rides, but that's the gut feeling I get from them

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
jayjay said:
Three main reasons.

1. Theme parks are seen by the vast majority as a social experience. You go to theme parks to share the fun with whoever you go with. Putting on a headset means that there is more isolation from others during a ride.

2. One of the best things about rollercoasters is interaction with surrounding terrain in the real world. This interaction is lost when transferred to the virtual world. I imagine some of this is also due to the fact that theme parks are about escapism, and much of modern life is spent looking at screens already.

3. Operations are slowed by the addition of VR meaning longer queues.

I can't judge myself as I've not done any VR rides, but that's the gut feeling I get from them
Exactly this.

It's a fad being forced into a theme park environment, and it doesn't work.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Snoo

The Legend
Just no. If you want a VR experience, go to some place made for it. Rollercoasters arent that. As the man above me pointed out in his signature:
Pink Panther said:
VR is literally the ISIS of theme parks

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
It increases queue times tremendously. It turns operations into complete ****. Honestly, I view it the opposite way you do. Why would someone like this ****? It's a waste of time and is completely unnecessary and pointless.

Ireeb

Mega Poster
When I rode Pegasus* at Europa-Park with VR I really disliked it.
*(A pretty standard family coaster)

I felt disoriented and everything I felt was kinda "muffled". It made it appear even more forceless than it already us, making it more like a simulator experience than a roller coaster, and it felt about half as long as it usually does. I also felt disoriented at some points, not knowing what is going on.

The whole thing felt like a dream. Not exactly knowing what is happening, seeing blurry and unrealistic stuff, and you are not sure what you feel right now or where you are right now.

Of course it also increases the queue times on this coaster, which sucks as well.

I probably won't try a VR Coaster again anytime soon.

CoasterEv

Roller Poster
It probably wouldn't be so bad if the video itself didn't look like something off of a Nintendo 64. I used to be a game developer and it may just be my pickiness ripping it apart, but I personally felt really let down with the final product. Plus all the stories of it freezing and/or synchronization issues.... blegh! I also think it takes away from the whole point of riding the roller coaster and if paired with crappy dispatching (*cough* SF *cough*), it just becomes more of a pain in the ass than anything else. If you want virtual reality, they have plenty of simulator rides :p Hahaha.

TheFlyerMan1

Roller Poster
It takes away from the nostalgia factor of the coaster if said ride is more than 10 years old. Another off-putting factor is the 'improvements' done to the ride that make a change back irreversible. I mean, look at Air Galactica...

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Yeah, pretty much what everyone's already said... I wrote a lengthy critique of VR within theme parks as an idea, then a review of DBGT and a review of Galactica if anyone's interested on hearing my in depth thoughts on VR. Again.

But in short. It's just not very good, it damages capacity and it's frankly daft to make a simulator out of a roller coaster.

One VR thing I'd actually really like to do is the GhostBusters thing at Madame Tussauds New York. I wish I knew someone whose tried it.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Whereas my first and only experience of VR was on Pegasus at Europa Park and we ****ing loved it. Went in with really low expectations but came off suitably impressed with it. If the video works, if it's in sync with the movements of the car, and if you're able to immerse yourself as best you can, it's really good.

Queue time wasn't really impacted at all during our visit because of how well it was being managed too.