What's new

Why are you afraid of drop towers?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
cp23 said:
Out of interest, furie, have you ever tried Mystery Castle at Phantasialand? I'd just be interested in your thoughts. I, too, dislike drop towers for much the same reasons as you described, but Mystery Castle I really quite like!

No, I haven't sadly :(

Having said that, I found Space Shot at Blackpool exceptionally dull and I quite like Bounce at Oakwood. Bounce works for me because it's not too powerful, so my girly system can cope with it and quite enjoy it. Space Shot is just too weak...

A-Kid

Giga Poster
I'm not so much afraid of drop towers, its just anticipating the horrible feeling of your internal organs being lighter than you are and that feeling being substained.

Sorta similar to furie, I am on every other point.

nadroJ

CF Legend
If I'm honest....it makes my fanny feel weird, and while that's quite nice in small does (Jumping Bean, Paultons Park, Ian can vouch for that one) the sustained feeling of that you get with the really big drop towers is horrible.

cp23

Mega Poster
If I'd gone on a drop tower when I was much younger I think I would have died of a heart attack - I remember when Chessington's Runaway Mine Train was too intense for me!

I've never been on a really intense launched tower - only ever Mystery Castle and Blackpool's Ice Blast (is this what you mean by Space Shot, furie?). Mystery Castle is a bit different from Ice Blast in that it launches you to the top and then keeps you there, like a conventional drop tower, before dropping you again.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry, yeah, Ice Blast... Was Space Shot the one at Southport (which was a much superior ride in terms of thrill)?

The worst (well, best, well, whatever) is the short tower at Pleasure Island as it hits the top at such a speed - it's very intense.

Nadroj, if I had a fanny, then I guess that would be the same for me - though I doubt I'd get out of the bedroom to a park ;)

cp23

Mega Poster
I was at Lightwater Valley recently and saw that they put their 'Trauma Tower' into the highest thrill category, yet it looked like a Berry Bouncers style ride. Has anyone been on it? Is it in any way thrilling/scary?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ The little berry bounce towers tend to be quite thrilling. The one at Alton is great and don't even get me started on Jumping Bean at Paultons...it's fantastic!

Xpress

Strata Poster
I'm not afraid of them, but I hate them so dearly...

The whole part about being slammed into the top of the restraint ....

Mike

Giga Poster
The suspense of the tower slowly pulling you up, then holding you at the top forever is what does it for me, as well as how they always feel a lot taller than they are.

Oddly, I never have any problems with Shot towers. Take something like Cliffhanger at Flamingoland. I'm fine with it just launching me upwards, but as soon as it started dragging me up for the normal drop tower, I was ****ting myself. :p

Snoo

The Legend
Xpress said:
I'm not afraid of them, but I hate them so dearly...

The whole part about being slammed into the top of the restraint ....

Of course.. the best drop towers don't do that.. as they aren't S&S. :p

andrus

Giga Poster
I'm afraid of heights and that's what makes it so good! Drop towers are probably the only ride that gets me really scared nowdays, and it's great to hang for an eternity at the top and think you're gonna die then drop down and get the greatest adrenaline rush of your life :--D love it!

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
I find them pretty scary, but love them once I've been on them. Saying that, when I return to a park I will be re-scared of the same tower until I re-ride and remind myself of the joy.

I think the thing I find worst about them is the fact that you can't see the track or anything in front of you, so you feel more exposed and less in control, similar to what others have said.

I would strongly recommend a ride on Wallis' travelling 'Mega Drop' tower - it's at hull fair at the moment. It's a fabbri one similar to Thorpe's, yet the drop on it is like nothing I've ever experienced before, it's incredible.

Pierre

Strata Poster
I'm not afraid of them, but the anticipation of the drop is exciting.

****ing love det and Cliffhanger.

A

Anonymous

Definitely the waiting, anticipation, and not knowing when you will be plunging towards the ground.

I still get on them, and every single time I do, I get that feeling of terror all over again.