What's new

Where will the next Disney theme park be built?

• Anaheim

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Orlando

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Tokyo

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Paris

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hong Kong

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Shanghai

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Elsewhere

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • There won't be any more

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
With the newest park opening in Shanghai last year and no current announcements of any more, where do you think the next Disney theme park is most likely to be built?

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Hong Kong, maybe? I could see them adding a second gate, possibly a water park. Also, the long-rumored water park for France?
As far as Orlando goes..... Unless it too was a new water park... I don't really see a fifth gate coming. Not really sure what it's focus would be. Animal kingdom is about to finish it's whatever billion-dollar expansion, Studios is in the middle of the their mass expansion, and Epcot is coming up. I see a lot of internal park expansion for Florida but not necessarily an entire new property.... But for sure another resort hotel, or five.

davidm

Strata Poster
^ I was in Telford yesterday, as I was driving there I was thinking that it was good location for a huge new theme park - good motorway access / near a big population center ; DisneylandCosford perhaps?

Anyway, back OT, wasn't the next Disney park at Paris anyway - that Nature Village thing that noone has heard anything about for a while?
http://www.villagesnature.com/

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I would love a third gate in California, but it just isn't possible.

I would expect the next new park to be in Dubai or India. It's going to be a while before that happens. Other guess would be somewhere else in China. That's about as much input as I have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
See, if it were to happen in South America... Brazil would be the logical choice but I don't think their economy could support it... Or if the Disney Company would be willing to attempt a park there. Brazil and Argentina are a massive market for tourism groups to Orlando. I don't know if Disney would want to cannibalize/jeopardize that business coming to the Florida parks.

Edward M

Strata Poster
My vote would be in for Hong Kong. If this expansion goes good enough and draws people away from Shanghai, it would be pretty likely I think.
I can't really see a new park at any other resort for a while really (maybe around 2030). Shanghai is brand new. Anaheim has 0 room. Same with Tokyo (from the look of it at least). Florida needs to fix all their parks before even thinking about making new ones. Same goes for Paris.
As for the new Disney resort location, I could see another Chinese park if Shanghai continues to thrive. I just don't see many other viable options honestly.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
I think Hong Kong will eventually get a second gate and Tokyo isn't off the cards either if they just reclaim land. Both would be a very long time off.
I think Anaheim will come first though with a WDS sized park. I want Disney to steal Knotts Berry Farm and make it their third gate instead.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I was expecting Hong Kong to be close to announcing a second gate, but then they went with that massive expansion completely out of nowhere.

The land is obviously there, and would have cost a crapload to create since it's all reclaimed, so it'll happen eventually.

Otherwise, I can't think of any of the other resorts that are likely anytime soon. Tokyo have the visitor numbers to justify it, but not the land.

Chinese media reported another mainland China park near Chongqing, but Disney flat out denied it.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
If I may hazard an uneducated guess:

Shanghai, then Shanghai again, then Anaheim. China's economic boom has made park trips affordable to literally hundreds of millions of people, and even though a Disneyland trip is mainly something for the richest percent of people, that's still a number in the millions. Barring any crackdown on Western culture in China, the Shanghai park soon won't be able to meet the demand (or rather, a second gate will become a very profitable investment), and the park may be expanded into a resort of some sort. Cue a second gate and a waterpark. Meanwhile, Disney will eventually find the cash to buy one of the hotels next to their California parks, as the buildings age and their value goes down. With some trickery involving more compact parking garages (since open-air parking lots are woefully inefficient), there could be enough land to fit a small-sized park - for instance in the area east of the current park, in the triangle between the existing park and the highway.

As for entirely new Disney parks in entirely new markets... probably won't happen for decades. When it eventually does, my main bet is on Mumbai, India. Possibly even later, somewhere in or near Nigeria or Ethiopia - both countries will have more than 200 million inhabitants by 2050. Time will tell if their economy as well as their population may warrant a Disney park. After that, most of the world will be somewhere in the "catchment area" of a Disney park. Once Africa and West Asia are covered, the next entirely new park might as well be on the Moon.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
^I believe you might be referring to the Wrexham rumour that was floating around as an alternative location to Paris, obviously never happened though and is doubtful to ever happen.

There is almost definitely going to be expansion in the eastern markets for Disney, Hong Kong expansion and/or Dubai wouldn't surprise me

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ There was never really a Wrexham "rumour" as such since the whole thing was way before the Internet, forums, and general interest to the extent we have now. It's all information that came to light way after the fact.

There were numerous locations under consideration for Disney Europe, with (I think) three in the UK and including a site near Wrexham. Obviously, some of those locations were considered more seriously than others - Wrexham definitely would not have been one of those - before Paris was settled on.

Any idea that Disney would come to the UK now that Paris exists has to be dropped. It's not worth even a hint of speculation. It's all done and finished.