What's new

What's the Best Wooden Coaster in Europe?

What's your favourite woodie in Europe?

• Balder

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Colossos

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Cú Chulainn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • El Toro

• Grand National

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Joris en de Draak

• Megafobia

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Rutschebanen (Tivoli)

• Thunderbird

• Thundercoaster

• Tonnerre de Zeus

• Troy

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Twister

• Wild Mouse

• Wodan Timbur Coaster

• Other

• Total voters

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Over the past 20 years, Europe has built up a rather solid collection of more modern wooden coasters and with the confirmation of at least three coming next year (providing Wildfire doesn't have any more 'bumps in the road'), I thought it would be interesting to see which one is currently the CF favourite. Of course, I have also included some of the more popular 'classics' in the poll. For those who maybe haven't ridden many/any of them, I would be very interested which one(s) you think look the best and why?

My personal favourite is Troy (although, Tonnerre de Zeus on a good day would definitely give it a run for its money). It has everything I look for in a standard type of wooden coaster. Fantastic pacing, a good amount of rattle that creates that great 'out-of-control' feeling, intensity, sudden moments of airtime that come out of nowhere and just an overall, ferocious ride.

I've been lucky enough to ride most of the notable woodies in Europe, except for Thundercoaster and the newly-opened Cú Chulainn, which I'm not sure would beat Troy for me, but would almost certainly be up there from what I've heard about it so far.

Anyway, what does everyone else think?

Note: I obviously haven't included every European woodie in the poll because I doubt some of them would get any votes, but I apologise if I have left out a fairly popular one.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm going to hold off voting until after riding that new thing in Ireland this coming weekend.

At the moment though, the European "highlights" of the woodies I've done would include:

Collossos
Troy
Megafobia (though it's been YEARS)
Grand National
Wild Mouse
Tonnerre du Zeus
Rutschebanen (Tivoli)
Twister (only after visiting Grona for the second time and whoring it; didn't rate it the first time around)

I'm afraid I fall into the camp of people who are largely unimpressed with Balder, and this is after two visits to the park. It's by far the weakest of the Intamin plug 'n' play woodies.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Collossos for me! simple out and back (with a corner), but done very well and loaded with airtime!

Followed by Cu chullain - which is great fun

Then quite a distance to the next one, which would probably be one of the GCIs, but I can't decide which!

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
gavin said:
I'm afraid I fall into the camp of people who are largely unimpressed with Balder, and this is after two visits to the park. It's by far the weakest of the Intamin plug 'n' play woodies.
QFT!
My Top 10 pretty much says it all, but I haven't ridden Cú Chu yet, although I doubt it will unseat Collossos or Wild Mouse at PBB.
So glad that you didn't include Anaconda at Walygator Parc, Coaster-Express at Parque Warner Madrid or Bandit at Movie Park Germany, as they are the bottom three woodies in the world (according to the last Mitch Hawker poll). Same goes for Magnus Colossus at Terra Mitica, which actually is the sixth worst.

mouse

Giga Poster
I've only done the English ones and Zeus, but I can't see anything overtaking that in the near future. All my rides on it have been mental, quite rough and out of control but great fun!

S

SimonSays99

1. Colossos
2. Balder
3. Twister (Gröna Lund)

Classics
1. Rutschebanen (Tivoli Copenhagen)
2. Wild Mouse (Blackpool)
3. Grand National

ThomVD

Giga Poster
From this list:

Joris en de Draak
Troy
Twister
Wodan
Balder
Thunderbird

Will be able to add Cú Chulainn this saturday.

TilenB

Strata Poster
^ Some like it fast.

I haven't yet ridden anything remotely good when it comes to European wood (apart from perhaps Wild Mouse, but that one is different from your traditional woodie), so I can't make a decent contribution to this topic. That should change in September, when I'll knock off the Dutch GCIs off my to-do list.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Been on all the Blackpool ones, RollerCoaster at Yarmouth, Megafobia, the ones at Port Aventura and then that one at Terra Mitica whose name always escapes me and of course Balder.

The latter is the only one I would gladly ride and ride again and the only one that makes it anywhere near my top 10. It'd take some ride to better it.

andrus

Giga Poster
Troy: I simply love the ferocious speed this ride carries throughout it's long layout! Closely followed by the magical airtime Colossos provides. Also, I'm in the "not very impressed by Balder" camp; I really can't see what people like about that ride?

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Out of the few I've ridden, Balder is my favourite.

I didn't rate Megaphobia. I like Wild Mouse and Grand National is ok.