What's new

What pre-planning do you do?

How do you plan?

• I see where the park is, and turn up! I like surprises

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I find out the major rides and coasters, so I know what to do first!

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • I check the other rides on the parks website etc. and make a few notes, so I know I'm not going to m

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • I find details of every ride there, so I know exactly what to ride, when, where and how, and bring a

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
If you are visiting a park for the first time, and it's likely to be a while before you go back, what sort of planning do you do before hand?

I do a pretty thorough check on what sort of rides are there, and bring some notes so that I'm unlikely to miss anything!

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I'd like to know what is in a park in terms of the big rides but apart from that I just take the day as it comes. Queue for whatever, whenever.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Check rcdb to make sure I don't miss any coasters, but that's it. Otherwise I just show up and take it as it comes.

I think for Disneyland this summer I might plan a bit since it'll likely be heaving, but it'll probably just go as far as checking which rides have single rider or something.

bmac

Giga Poster
It depends on the day I go. If it's on a day where the park is supposed to be packed I plan everything down to the very last detail in order to avoid the crowds as much as possible. If it's on a day where it'll be rather slow I usually just fart around and enjoy the day at my own pace.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Up until 18 months ago it was nothing more than check a CF guide for a quick overview of anything quirky I might miss, maybe search for a trip report or two to get a general idea of the place if it's a bit unknown to me (Adventure Island, Lightwater Valley).

Lately it's been a case of rcdb to make sure I don't miss a credit, CF's youtube for pov's, I like to have a proper plan in place because I'm arsy and I hate feeling like I've missed something, or wasted some time unecessarily.

BBH

Giga Poster
I usually just check RCDB to see what's at the park and in the area and go for it.

I only have one day at Indiana Beach, though, so I may do some planning for that.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^It's not very big and there's not much outside of the coasters. "Only" one day is plenty. No need to plan.

Rachel

Coaster MILF
I'm a bit of an organised freak so I tend to go a bit OTT when visiting a new park. I'll go on their website / wiki page to check what rides are there and then check sites/forums and get advice to make sure I don't miss anything.

I was unbearable when I went to Florida, I had an itinerary and everything ha!

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Depends on the park really, I'll do the usual checks on all of them but big parks I tend to go overboard with the plan, especially if it's just me or 1 other.
Everything in the states was planned down to the final detail, so was Europa. Not so much when I went to heide with the goons, and little uk parks I don't plan anything.

jj23w

Hyper Poster
If it's a park I've done before like Disneyland Paris I'll go in with no knowledge because I'll know where to go.
If it's something like thorpe then I take an enthusiasts and friends with me.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
For new parks I check out the website for the park map, check out the counting sites to see what the creds are, and make a basic gameplan (walk in and turn left/right/go to the back etc....). I very rarely go to new parks on busy days so usually end up not needing much of a plan.

Gazza

Giga Poster
I'll sort of check rcdb, park websites and wiki articles to figure out what i want to do, which worked out well for Blackpool for instance, because I only had a day and there is so much to try.
For big parks known to be busy ill read trip reports (dedicated 'one park' fan sites are useful) to figure out a good strategy. Often I'll find trip reports from the previous year at a similar time to when I'm going to get an idea what to expect (Eg If I was going to a theme park on a weekend in July, I'd check last years calendar and find TRs dated on July weekends)

For me in particular, any theme park trip outside Australia is at least a $3000 spend, so I'm happy to be a nerd and research to make sure I actually do all what I want to do.

Also, bannister.org has a TR from basically every theme park, so it's a good starting point.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
Planning Part 1: Research
1. Coast-to-coaster.com
2. RCDB.com
3. Coasterforce.com (guides/extra help)

Planning Part 2: Booking
1. Plane Tickets
2. Hotel
3. Park Tickets
4. Transportation (if necessary)

Planning Part 3: RIDE

Keeps me organized :mrgreen:

Jake

Strata Poster
If it's just one or two new parks, not a lot.

However if it's quite a long trip with loads of new parks, you have to take some sort of list with you or you will end up missing a cred <///3.

You can't always rely on checking RCDB the night before, what if the Wifi dies? Tivoli small missed!