What's new

What is your favourite roller coaster manufacturer?

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^For a long time I wouldn't even consider a park trip unless it secured multiple B&M creds.
Fun fact - It's only just occurred to me that last year's Sweden Live was the first big trip I've ever done that didn't have any. :eek:

*Edit - almost forgot, honourable mention to Schwarzkopf. How could I forget Anton?
Bad Howie.

Last edited:

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
Until last year I would've said B&M for sure, but I was blown away by the three Intamin launch coasters I rode last year (even though most people would say two of them are meh) so I think Intamin are my new favourite... but I'm going to ride three RMCs this year so that might not last!

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
I started to answer a question in this topic
but then far too late realised I'd gone completely off the rails and was answering this one instead, which I've had to dig up.

Justification is that I guess it would be good to get some 2020 opinions on this, see how things have changed, but here's what I was going to say anyway:

My heart says Gravity, which I'm happy to see have already had several mentions in the other thread (the fact that they only really have 1 coaster 'type' is what led me astray).
My head says RMC (again, only really 1 official type).
Let's see what the computer says.

The tricky thing about this with my spreadsheet in its current state is that Steel, Wood and Combined are ranked in different ways.
Steel is done from 1-19, followed by groupings of 20, 30, 40 & 50.
Wood is done from 1-76
Combined is only 1-30 or 50ish depending on how I feel.
So if you want to include the full sample size of everything that manufacturer has put out - have the weak stuff dragging it down, then we can only look at steel and wood individually.

Steel
I've filtered out any manufacturers with less than 5 rides to my name.

ManufacturerSteel CountSteel Average
RMC
8​
10.75​
B&M
66​
22.64​
S&S
15​
24.93​
Intamin
69​
28.88​
Premier
9​
28.89​
Gerstlauer
45​
29.56​
Meisho
8​
31.25​
Togo
15​
31.33​
Mack
79​
31.79​
Schwarzkopf
15​
32.67​

Just for reference on steel, a 30 grouping is basically 'worth a ride on a revisit' and a 40 is 'not worth that', so only 6 manufacturers sit on the right side of 'everything they do is at least rerideable.'
It's an interesting result to say the least. Gerts, Meisho and Togo you say? I like it.
Pains me to see Mack down there, but that's the power of filler rides.

Wood
Applied the same rule of minimum 5 rides for wood, so we've only got a top 5 here. Not much interesting going on underneath that other than RMC winning with an average of 9.00, but Wildfire bugs me so the result isn't canon for now.

ManufacturerWood CountWood Average
Gravity Group
13​
15.92307692​
GCI
19​
29.94736842​
Intamin
6​
32.17​
CCI
6​
40.83333333​
PTC
8​
54.25​

The fact that Intamin made woodies other than the prefabs is potentially keeping them below GCI here.
Initially this was bothering me, but because I spend so much time moaning about them I had somehow forgotten that GCI hold 2 spots in my overall top 10. Filler isn't prevailing here just yet.

Combined
If you want to see who frequents the top the most, regardless of how much other rubbish they make, we can look at combined.
Feel like going with the full 50ish ranks even though it's very woolly at the lower end, because it gives us an exact top 10.
Minimum 5 rides for the manufacturer still applies, but obviously they don't have to be within the scored list.

ManufacturerCombined CountCombined Average
RMC
10​
17.60​
Intamin
75​
23.10​
S&S
16​
25.00​
Mack
79​
25.17​
GCI
19​
28.80​
Gravity Group
13​
29.50​
Premier
9​
32.00​
B&M
66​
32.67​
Gerstlauer
46​
33.00​
CCI
6​
49.00​

Here I was initially uncomfortable with Intamin being that high. The inherent tease in me was immediately saying nah... Taron ain't that good.
I tragically forgot that they made other rides and that some hold 3 spots (the most of any) in my overall top 10.

Not having the full statistical population does favours to GCI here, moving them up above Gravity. That's the damage of not including the filler.
Mack finally shine a bit more but narrowly miss out on the top three. Making a top 5% ride for me is actually harmful with this method, so I need to go away and do better.

TL;DR - It's RMC isn't it.

Will

Strata Poster
This is why there are flaws in the spreadsheet system :p

Rocky Mountain Construction
8.00​
1​
B&M
7.91​
23​
GCI
7.50​
6​
ART Engineering
7.00​
1​
British Rail
7.00​
1​
Ingenieur-Holzbau Cordes
7.00​
1​
Kumbak
7.00​
1​
Pax
6.50​
2​
Schwarzkopf
6.36​
11​
Valdemar Lebech
6.33​
3​

I reckon B&M would possibly still come out on top if Daemonen didn't exist...

If I take out manufacturers where I've ridden less than 5...

B&M
7.91​
23​
GCI
7.50​
6​
Schwarzkopf
6.36​
11​
CCI
6.20​
5​
Intamin
6.12​
33​
Gerstlauer
5.90​
29​
Maurer
5.33​
21​
Soquet
5.25​
8​
Mack
5.22​
49​
Arrow
5.22​
9​

Mack would be a lot higher if they hadn't built so many bloody mine trains and wild mice...!

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
I used to think B&M was the best and then they farted out Nemesis Inferno and Swarm.

Haven't been on an RMC but taking something old and doing that to it is just ultra-cool, isn't it? Old AND New. RMC for me!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Just when I was beginning to think B&M's were becoming predictable, and safe, and familiar, maybe even a little bit dull... then I go and ride Shambhala and it reminds just why I love them so much. What a machine! Yeah, still B&M for me.
RMC are obviously snapping at their heels, and Vengeance still remains my overall favourite coaster for the time being, but I've only ridden 8 of the things, compared to 53 B&M's so in my exclusive list of favourite coasters - my top 10% ish - the RMC's are still considerably outnumbered by team Switzerland.

Matt N

CF Legend
I think the fact that 7 out of my top 10 coasters are manufactured by B&M answers this question for me! But even excluding that fact, it has to be B&M for me. Their creations just ooze quality, and the smoothness and comfort of them always leaves me craving more! Out of the 14 I've ridden, 2 or 3 of them do fall a little more on the "average" side, but I think I am yet to ride a B&M that I strongly dislike!