What's new

What is this coaster like ?

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
I often find myself wondering ' what is this coaster like?' Mainly because I don't hear much about it either because it is new or maybe is overshadowed by another coaster at the park. The purpose of this topic is for people to ask about specific coasters and others who have ridden it can give their opinion on it. E.g. What is Black Mamba like? ( I will happily share this with anyone who wants to know :)) .

I'll start it off with a coaster that i have been thinking about a lot of today. What is Twister @ Knoebels like?

BBH

Giga Poster
Re: The Opinions Topic

Having one topic to cover this completely destroys the purpose of the forum. A generic "What is this coaster like?" thread, however, wouldn't be so bad.

That said, I, too, am wondering what Twister feels like.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Re: The Opinions Topic

BBH said:
A generic "What is this coaster like?" thread, however, wouldn't be so bad.

Yeah that is what I meant it to be. Sorry if i wasn't to clear :) . I will edit the op and title to simplify what I meant.

I didn't mean lets replace this forum :).

BBH

Giga Poster
How are the Indiana Beach coasters? I'll be going down there next summer and I want to prepare myself as best I can, they have some real funky stuff down there.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Twister at Knoebels - Decent enough, but nothing special, especially when you've got Phoenix in the same park.

Indiana Beach

Cornball Express - Very good with some great pops of airtime. Others seem to rave about it though, which I personally don't see.

Galaxi - Can't remember

Hoosier Hurricane - Fairly generic. Not bad, not great.

Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain - Really fun for the quirkiness of it. Not a great ride on paper but really enjoyable.

Steel Hawg - Crap

Tig'rr Coaster - Dull

Mike

Giga Poster
Twister - A decent enough coaster that is completely overshadowed by Phoenix.

Indiana Beach
Cornball Express - A lot of people rank this very highly, but I thought it was a bit mediocre. I don't remember a lot of airtime from it, but it's well paced. Apparently it just got partly retracked by RMC, so expect a good ride.

Galaxi - A standard Galaxi coaster.

Hoosier Hurricane - An absolute load of rubbish. I ranked it as the 7th worst woodie I've ridden in the last Mitch Hawker polls. Jolty, jerky, painful, crap operators and operations (a common theme at Indiana Beach) and no fun whatsoever. I remember the brakes being particularly painful.

Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain - Slow and meh. I guess it's "unique" though...

Steel Hawg - Out of the 3 El Locos I've ridden, this one is by far the worst. Plenty of head banging and jarring to be had on this one!

Tig'rr Coaster - Classic Schwarzkopf Jet Star and one of the better coasters at Indiana Beach.

Bunny5252

Roller Poster
Indiana Beach:
Steel Hawg: Better than a gerstlauer eurofighter, also some pretty good hangtime
Galaxi: Crap
LCSM: Pretty Unique, It's fun
Tigrr: This pretty much a more intense traveling coaster
Cornball: Easily the best at IB
HH: Was closed when I was there

Luxornv

Mega Poster
Since I'm in the Chicago area, I sometimes hear older people talking about Riverview. I did a lot of research on it, and even did a few school projects on it. I've always wondered what The Bobs there. It's one that really sticks in my mind because I will never have a chance to ride it. I do also get this thought when I'm looking at news of new coasters online or videos on Youtube. I just don't think about it too often with current once since I probably will one day ride it.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Can anyone compare Griffon (BGEurope) Sheikra (BGAfrica) or Tower of Terror - Gold Reef City (For any of you who have been lucky enough to ride it) to Oblivion? I am genuinely intrigued as to how the drop on each compares to Oblivion.

TilenB

Strata Poster
silenthillXD said:
Can anyone compare Griffon (BGEurope) Sheikra (BGAfrica) or Tower of Terror - Gold Reef City (For any of you who have been lucky enough to ride it) to Oblivion? I am genuinely intrigued as to how the drop on each compares to Oblivion.

I've been on both Sheikra and Oblivion. Sheikra is definitely a better coaster overall (longer layout, floorless trains). But to be honest the first drop was a bit better on Oblivion (maybe, it is just me, because I sat in front row the only time I've ridden Oblivion and rode Sheikra in 2nd/3rd both times).

DelPiero

Strata Poster
ShieKra is the better overall ride of the two Tim. Oblivion's drop is better, put O's drop on S and you're looking at a spanking good ride.
ShieKra's drop doesn't give the same tummy turner, it has no massive hole to dive into and no misting effect. It's taller, but it doesn't feel that tall. However it does give nice forces at the bottom of the drop and the Immelmann's excellent. The 2nd drop is interesting as it crawls over without stopping and dives through some kind of castle thing and under the bridge, but that's it.... it's interesting, not great.
The front is better but i sat in all rows on both of them and the above rings true for all seat selections imo.
No idea on Griffon or TOT.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I've probably said this a few dozen times, but across the sites over the years.

I much much prefer the drop on Oblivion to Griffon's. I just didn't seem to feel any of the rush on Griffon at all I get from Oblivion.

It could be partly because I'm trapped with a memory of when Oblivion really scared me, but I don't think it's just that. I think that the tunnel adds so much. It seems odd that by removing the "height" (remember, Oblivion is something like 120 feet under ground) with the hole, it makes it more intimidating, but it does.

With Griffon, you can see the track curving away. Don't get me wrong Griffon is very high and you feel really exposed (particularly on the edges), but... With the vertical section being just 60-80 feet (or whatever it is) and then you being able to see the pull out in the smooth way it does it, it removes some of the fear element. Oblivion is "VERTICAL" (in your mind), Griffon "has a big drop". It's very subtle.

I also love the way that you get the complete change in atmosphere when you ride Oblivion. It goes from light to dark and warm to cold (particularly effective in the summer) at the same time the floater changes to positive-g. It assails your senses, the whole thing is psychological and playing on your perceptions.

So it's a brilliant bit of ride design which really works... For the 8 seconds it's happening.

That's great, because the ride finishes while you're still on a high. You then get the brake run stacking and the adrenaline is pumping and you feel it's been a real blast. I find the same with Stealth, it's "a buzz".

You lose that with the larger Dive Machines, because they carry on. So by the brake run, you're over the rush from the drop.

Griffon is a better "coaster". It gives some lovely airtime on the drops. The inversions are really nice and it's an excellent coaster. Oblivion is just a drop.

It's kind of like asking how Detonator at Thorpe compares with PMBO. While the drop on PMBO is good, Detonators is better (IMO), but that doesn't detract from the fact PMBO has a great drop and is followed by an - albeit lame - coaster layout. PMBO is the better coaster ;)

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
I much prefer Sheikra to Oblivion, Sheikra was a better drop which gives a better feeling in my opinion and floorless trains!

Mike

Giga Poster
Oblivion has by far the best drop compared to SheiKra and Griffon. It just seems to go on forever and by the time you get to the bottom and go through the tunnel you've felt like you've just experienced something special.

Griffon is the worst out of the three for me. Even though it's the tallest, it just feels really small and lacklustre.The second half of the ride is almost an exact copy of the first half and it just didn't feel thrilling.

SheiKra wins it on the overall experience though, and makes it into my top 10 steel coasters. It both looks and feels bigger than the others and I found the immelmanns to be fantastically disorientating. Despite SheiKra and Griffon being basically the same ride, I found a huge difference between them.