What's new

What happened to Malaysian Airlines flight MH17?

marc

CF Legend
They could not land the plane as reports are saying it ripped in half.

Rebels are saying it was the Ukraine army as they don't have weapons that can do that. But Ukraine say it's not them and the rebels have shot their planes down with these rockets.

Pilots were also advised to avoid that area, this one did not.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Every US Airline avoided this route, and Lufthansa reported they aren't flying over there anymore now as well. Why would you fly that way? I understand the airlines are penny pinching, and you never think this would happen, but, it did.

BBH

Giga Poster
^It seems much more financially sensible to avoid that airspace, especially when you consider the cost of reimbursement, fleet replacement, and investigation of any incident that occurs.

Smithy

Strata Poster
What a shame that 290 innocent lives were lost and not one of them was rtotheizzo or joshuadrooney #GoingIn

In all seriousness though, the Russians will have supplied these weapons to the rebels and it's backfired massively on them now the rebels have taken down a passenger plane.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
I agree with Tomahawk. They could have avoided that route. I know Qatar Airlines avoids Syria because of the same reason. I think Malaysia Airlines needs to orient their pilots better on what they will be facing through the area they are flying through. It's also not the first plane taken down in that area. The pilots also had the option to avoid the area. Every heavy jetliner pilot flies IFR in which the ATC tells you where to fly through. The pilot has the right to take precautions and avoid the route by requesting it to the ATC center.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
As horrible as this is, I'm just glad that now the US isn't the only country to have shot down a civilian airliner.

Since the Ukrainian rebels don't have pilots, it makes no sense that this would have been the Ukrainian government... Which leaves either the rebels or the Russians themselves.

Also, it's not a black hole in the ground with intact bodies everywhere. Plenty of wreckage and body parts. :(
Pictures from the impact site:
http://boingboing.net/2014/07/17/photos ... airli.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/07 ... 95821.html

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
I hadn't heard about that one, but having been in the US Navy for 20 years and seeing the USS Vincennes across the pier for many of those 20, we certainly talked about that one quite a bit.

Darren B

Giga Poster
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/25/world ... .html?_r=0

Yet ANOTHER airline disaster. 3 crashes in 7 days is quite shocking when you take into account the chances of dying in a plane crash are 1 in 11 million. 450 people dead in a week is unbelievable.

What keeps running through my mind is this; the victims of the Air Algeire flight would have most probably being watching the story of MH17 unfold on their TV sets and newspapers thinking about the absolute terror the passengers went through in their final moments. None of them would have thought that they would be in that position just 7 days later. It really is quite harrowing to think about. And it's safe to say that tonight's flight to Sweden may not be as comfortable for me as it would have been 8 days ago.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
My brother is currently flying from Los Angeles to India. He gets the luxury of flying over Ukraine, Iran, Afghanistan among others. To say my mother is quite nervous is an understatement.

mcgoughchris

Mega Poster
tomahawk said:
My brother is currently flying from Los Angeles to India. He gets the luxury of flying over Ukraine, Iran, Afghanistan among others. To say my mother is quite nervous is an understatement.

Law of averages says that he has to make it.

I wouldn't be too worried about flights from the uk. All these others seem like they're with dodgy airlines.

I'm heading over to Florida in September and I'd imagine that if a virgin airlines flight carrying X amount of families to Disneyland went down suspiciously then that could be the start of world war 3. The USA have held their nerve well brushing this Ukraine disaster under the carpet.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
mcgoughchris said:
tomahawk said:

I wouldn't be too worried about flights from the uk. All these others seem like they're with dodgy airlines.

I'm heading over to Florida in September and I'd imagine that if a virgin airlines flight carrying X amount of families to Disneyland went down suspiciously then that could be the start of world war 3. The USA have held their nerve well brushing this Ukraine disaster under the carpet.

Obviously he will, but mothers worry for no reason.

mcgoughchris

Mega Poster
tomahawk said:
mcgoughchris said:
tomahawk said:

Obviously he will, but mothers worry for no reason.

Well it's not obvious. There is a slight chance he could get shot dow. If I was a betting man and they gave me odds of 11 million to 1 I'd probs stick a pound on it.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I've got to fly back from America in three weeks, whilst I'm hopeful everything will be fine seeing all this on the news isn't great news for a slightly nervous flier, I'm flying to Spain four days after I get home too.

mcgoughchris

Mega Poster
Jordanovichy said:
I've got to fly back from America you're tlle weeks, whilst I'm hopeful everything will be fine seeing all this oThere's hopeful worsen't great news for a slightly nervous flier, I'm flying to Spain four days after I get home too.

Dont be a big pussy mate!

Whats the worst that can happen, the plane blows up and youre instantly disintegrated with very little time to think or feel the pain. Theres worse scenarios

Imbatman

Roller Poster
DelPiero said:
No, this isn't the same thread.

Just heard on the radio that another Malaysian Airlines flight is in trouble. This time apparently crashes in the Ukraine. News reports indicate it was shot down.

Over 200 people on board, don't know if any survived.

Illumanti that's what.