What's new

What a suprise! (Thorpe/Lego/Plopsaland/Toverland/Chessie)

peep

CF Legend
I recently had 4 absolutely amazing days out, well 3 and a half anyways.

I'll begin with Day One - Friday 26th June.

I decided to leave the house late to:

1. Avoid evil rush hour on the trains
2. Get cheaper rail fare

I got to Thorpe park about 11:50. I met AeRo outside the entrance. Dropped my suitcase in his car boot and went in the park. We met up with Martyn H, Peter and JJ, they were riding Rocky Express, I was very jealous.

The park was heaving with peeps so we used up an exit pass for Saw: the Ride. It was great fun as always. As a group we decided that Samurai should be next. I wasn't too bothered about going on so I waited and took a pic or two.

DSC00387.jpg

The crowds of Thorpe were beginning to annoy and queue times were silly so we hopped into the car and went to Legoland.

Legoland was also busy but the queues were bearable, however the humid weather was not.

DSC00396.jpg

I can't remember the order we did things but it involved loads of bloomin' walking, loads of slushy drinks and fun times. We did the lego racers thing which was funny. I came 6th though, not happy considering I was doing well at one point. Go Larry go!

We also did the rapids which were surprisingly good, much better than it looks in pictures. We did loads of faffing next to the jet ski thing, that blast of water was nice and cooling.

Jungle coaster is now turd with its silly roofs.
DSC00391.jpg

Dragon's apprentice was ace as always :p

Dragon coaster was better than I remember.

We ended the day by doing the laser blaster thing which was terrible in comparison to Tomb Blaster and Duel. On our way to the exit we messed around a bit and just had a good laugh.

DSC00389.jpg

DSC00392.jpg

DSC00398.jpg

DSC00399.jpg

Peter and Martyn went their separate way. AeRo then drove 10Watt, JJ, and I to our first hotel, the travelodge in Ashford. After checking in we grabbed a cold drink and sat outside Burger King talking. We were later joined by Martyn H, Peter and Leighton. Shortly after their arrival we all went to the nearest 24hr Tesco where we just messed around which kept the staff amused. We also purchased a breakfast for the next day (which we never ate). After well over an hour messing about we went back to the hotel for some necessary sleep.

I'm going to be difficult and post each day as a separate post....

peep

CF Legend
Day Two - Saturday 27th June

The day began way too early, especially as the heat in our hotel room meant lack of sleep. We left the Ashford Travelodge around 5:30. We got on the Ferry at Dover and was about 2 hours of food and looking at the sea.

Once we arrived in Calais we headed to Plopsaland! We arrived about 10 with the other 3 cars of CFers. First impressions were "it's hot" and "why is there a massive yellow door?".

DSC00409.jpg

We entered the park and I was shocked at the detail in the theming in the park and the amount of random characters were walking around the area keeping the kids entertained.

DSC00410.jpg

We all wanted to get on Anubis: the ride first. Unfortunately it was closed and wouldn't open till 12. It then gave us time to do other rides which I liked in a way. Built up my excitement even further for the ride.

We waited for SuperSplash to open.While we waited the music kept us entertained as well as some CF antics on the kids toy stuff and the bridge.

The ride finally opened. Everyone was saying how you don't get wet on this ride so I was even more happy to ride it. All 16 of us filled a boat, which was nice. The lift was smooth, fun and, for me anyways, unique. Go down the awesome drop, over the wicked hill and sploosh. I got soaked on one side, was really random and very cold.

Next was the washing machine coaster, or "Rollerskater" as the park likes to call it. This was rather good fun, including the mist when you go through the washing machine. The ride op was really friendly and cool too.

I think Dongo's race was next which was a little kids coaster. It was awesome fun and the head-choppers were scary, I seriously ducked.

DSC00403.jpg

Next was The forest of Plop? This was a random ride and I had no idea what we was even queuing for, was it a water ride with a drop or was it just a dark ride? Anyways it was very random but so cool, I loved the way their little ears moved up and down, it amused me :D

I think by this time I think Anubis was open so we headed straight for it. The queue wasn't too bad and it did seem to be moving quite a lot. The theming for the station/queue line was awesome, I'm sure it would be even better for us if we understood the TV show it was based off. Oh wells.

The ride itself is fantastic. The launch is spectacular, the shock and force of it comes from nowhere and is so much better than any launch coaster I've been on before. The layout is fun and twisty, smooth and exciting and the inversion just before the brakes is perfect, just the right speed.

It was definitely something that had to be ridden again but it was time for food! We all went into the restaurant next to Anubis which was amazing. I had some meatballs and chips which was lovely and everyone was in agreement that their food was top notch.

DSC00400.jpg

Before meet-up again some of us did Anubis again, still awesome :p A woman who was part of a large group there asked two of us two sit with two of the kids she was looking after (a child of a certain height had to sit with an adult). We obliged and she was cool and chatted to us for a bit. She told us that the only English word the kids knew was "motherf*cker", we laughed so much.

We then met everyone by the Springflyer. I opted out so I could do some filming but it did look really scary.

DSC00406.jpg

Next up was their medieval-like area. It was awesome, the theming was just superb. First we did the powered dragon coaster. Most powered coasters I've seen don't go very fast but the way this thing went round the circuit was awesome and when it goes through the station you barely see it go by, love it. The dragon that sits at the front was also epic.

We had to wait for it to go round a few times till everyone came off so some of us started going crazy by listening to the area music (I'm now listening to it on Spotify <3). We also dropped a British penny down the well (I wonder if it goes to the charity still?).

Next was the log flume in the same area. This was also heavily themed and was just cool. I got soaked again lol. I still loved it though.

Next was the last credit(s) of the day, the bat flyer(s) :p This was so unique, so fun and way too short. It was also a nightmare to get in and out of but it was worth it.

We all went on Anubis for the last ride of the day. Woop.

That was it for Plopsaland. I absolutely loved it and would love to go back. I also think Merlin should go check it out. Chessie needs Anubis!

Ian, Big John, Tanya, AeRo, JJ, 10Watt and I went to a local seaside town so Ian and AeRo could get cheap ciggys. After going round a tat shop or two Ian, Big John and Tanya went home. The rest of us went to a nice little cafe which was really welcoming and the food was amazing. We then went to a small arcade where I won a Wall.e toy from a grab machine, I was really proud of myself :p

AeRo then drove us to the Netherlands to stay at our next hotel outside Toverland. After checking in we got some drinks from the McDonalds from down the road and drove up to Toverland to stare at pitch black going "Troy is just there omg omg" and "those ducks are making way too much noise". We then went to our awesome hotel room to get some much needed sleep.

peep

CF Legend
Day Three - Sunday 28th June

We got up a bit later today which was nice. Our hotel room was awesome, loved it....

DSC00416.jpg

DSC00415.jpg

We then had a nice breakfast at the hotel, their pain au chocolat things were lovely.

We then drove up the road to Toverland. As soon as we pulled into the car park I was in shock at the size of Troy, I was so excited :D

The entrance is really random and cool. You enter the first warehouse type building which is full of kids attractions including a cool coaster. We walked straight through into the second building which had even more cool attractions including a massive climbing frame and log flume.

AeRo wanted us to all do the bobsled thing which had a silly queue which only got longer throughout the day so we didn't get to do it :(

We walked straight past the attractions including the booster bike coaster and straight to Troy which was outside. Everything was just so awesome, the trojan horse was wicked too. We didn't have to wait too long and then we were on :D. The seats are so comfy and luckily we weren't stapled into our seat by the restraint.

DSC00432.jpg

DSC00420.jpg

DSC00430.jpg

Troy is definitely one of the best coasters I've ridden and one of my fav bits was the station fly-through. It was just so fast and exhilarating. <3

DSC00436.jpg

After Troy we walked over to the Booster bike coaster. It was jolly good fun. The launch wasn't that fast which meant the ride was actually enjoyable and the layout was entertaining and I got some decent airtime on the hills before the brakes.

So far my opinion of Toverland was awesome. Everything on this trip has been a major surprise for me, everything is so much better than expectations. Our next ride would be the kids coaster in the first building.

It was so wicked. When you're at the top of the lift hill you feel like you're going to hit the roof, such a strange feeling. The coaster really packs a punch, the first drop is superb and the overbank near the end of the ride is so fun, loved it. Has to be one of the best kids coasters I've ever ridden. Shame it only had one circuit.

I think we did the log flume next. It was cool, the turntable parts were strange. The one on the second lift hill made you feel like you were going to fall out, quite scary. We also got quite moist on the drops.

10Watt, JJ and I decided to swing on part of the climbing frame thing which was good fun.

Next was the fun house thing. I haven't done something like this in years. It was so much fun, loved it.

AeRo then took us to another 'house' which was an attraction based around this character..

DSC00435.jpg

It was so cool, you each get a wand and then when you enter the house you wave the wand at certain lights and things happen. This was something else I want Chessington to get (or install it in Hocus Pocus). Not only is it brilliant for kids but adults can enjoy it too (well, we did anyways :p).

I believe we opted for lunch now. It was nice food, maybe a little pricey but we weren't too bothered by that, it tasted good which is all that matters.

We were next to the shop so we went in there to explore their merchandise. They had some cool Troy items and loads of items for kids which were based off their characters. AeRo, JJ and 10Watt purchased some items (including a park CD and Troy belt) and the lovely woman behind the counter decided to give us all a small pin badge of Troy! All the staff were like this, really kind and welcoming, helped make the day even better.

As we walked back into the second building we noticed this cool looking flat ride. It's really hard to explain so bear with me here...It was like a small tower which had 3 spinny cars on like a ferris wheel arm. The arm would move up and down this tower and spin like a ferris wheel, the tower also rotated round.

Hope that makes sense? I annoyingly didn't take a pic. Anyways we rode it, very gentle and calm, nice little ride.

I think we then spent the next 2 hours playing on all these random things outside. They were good fun, I won't explain them all but you should see most of it appear in my video (if I get round to making it).

DSC00425.jpg

We spent so long playing on these outdoor items that the queue was too long for Troy which meant we didn't get in a second ride in before we left :( Oh well, we chilled out and wandered round a bit before leaving this amazing park.

I really want to go back to Toverland now just so I can ride Troy more and take in more of the fun adventure things.

We then had a long journey back to Calais to get the ferry back to the UK. Once back in the UK we went back to the Ashford Travelodge...

peep

CF Legend
Monday 29th June - Last day :(

We woke up fairly early at the Travelodge in Ashford. Annoyingly our room was boiling hot and it made it very hard to get to sleep. I was also woken up about 5 in the morning by a bunch of motorbikes.

AeRo first dropped 10Watt off at the Ashford International train station and then we went to a near-by Tesco for breakfast. It was really nice, my first one.

Then a little bit down the motorway and AeRo dropped me off at Chessington: World of Adventures :D. He continued to drive up to Scotland, dropping JJ off home on the way.

I thought it might be quite busy considering the three coaches of school kids in the parking lot. This slightly worried me as the park still had 30 mins till opening :S

While masses of peeps (including moi) waited for staff to let everyone into the park they warned everyone about the weather (uber hot) and told everyone to keep drinking water (check) and put on sun tan lotion (woops).

When I finally got into the park I went straight to guest services and put my suitcase in their office.

I was going to start off with Rattlesnake but the queue was shut (still hadn't started testing). So I continued round to Tomb Blaster. There was no sign of anyone and I walked straight on. I had to wait ages because staff thought there would be more peeps (silly ride ops, everyone went to Fury and Vampire). They finally sent me round and it was so strange doing it alone (yeah, I was the only person on the entire attraction!). This was my score...

DSC01171.jpg

I was quite happy with that.

After a quick toilet break I went round to Fury. Much to my surprise there was no queue!!!! Walk on it was. So I ran round the bloomin' cattlepen queueline and sat straight on it. Got quite a good ride. A few more peeps started turning up to the ride so I quickly ran round and did it a second time. Woop!!!

I then walked through Beanoland and tried the new Ice Age 3 attraction. It was random, great for kids. Annoyingly it was boiling in there.

I was getting really hot and bothered by this point so I walked straight on Dragon Falls. Nice little splash, very cooling.

I then walked to Black Buccaneer via the Toyland area. When I was there the other week an old piece of theming was broken (vandalised). He was already back in place and had been given a brand new lick of paint, great job Chessington!

I then walked straight on Buccaneer. Annoyingly there was a row of girls in the back row who just wouldn't stop screaming. Still a fun ride, buckets of airtime.

I was really getting fed up with the heat at this point so I decided to stroll around the zoo. To my disappointment the Lions, Tigers and Leopards were all inside, urgh :(

I walked straight over to Creature Features as seeing the meerkats would amuse me for ages. They were inside too! What was going on, oh, hang on,what does this sign say:

Sorry for this empty enclosure but one of our meerkats gave birth on the 18th June and all the meerkats are currently going through a bonding process inside

YAY!!!!!!!!!!! More meerkats :D :D :D

As I was near I walked round to Rattlesnake which was also walk-on. Sitting in the car alone is less painful which made it even better.

I then went back to guest services and collected my suitcase.

I stopped to see the other meerkats who kept me entertained for about 20 mins.

I then left the park at 11: 45, got a train home and attempted to keep cool.

A great end to a fantastic weekend. All staff were happy and friendly. The park was getting busy too towards my departure (I counted 14 coaches in the car park!). Massive thanks to everyone that went too and AeRo for driving me everywhere, top man.

Hope you enjoyed reading my trip report and hopefully I'll have my videos ready by tomorrow evening.

Emmett

Giga Poster
Nice trip reports Peep, glad you all had a great time in Toverland. Its a great park just like Plopsaland.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Good trip report peep, I am glad you like Troy. Shame there was a queue!

Last time myself and AeRo visited we whored Troy, infact we were the only people on it. :--D
We also whored booster bike probably about 20 rides without even getting out of our seat. Basically the same with the whole park :p

But its good to finally read a trip report on Toverland, it's much needed.