What's new

West Midlands Safari Park - PTR

Martyn B

CF Legend
So, this is a bit late. We actually done this trip last year. Its a right pigs ear too get to from where we are, so we probably wont be doing it again.

2s9yblz.jpg

We done the safari first. This was my first 'safari', it was ok. Too many hills, stop-starts and anticlimax's. Oh, and queue's of traffic.

vdhgfn.jpg

9rhsaf.jpg

15qywdf.jpg

33c6h47.jpg

2m77u3k.jpg

w1ur10.jpg

I liked how there was nothing stopping the lions from attacking you! Obviously you keep your windows shut, but just see them walking around the car was quite.... odd.

9bb2vb.jpg

2yjvxqr.jpg

vq2ws4.jpg

35chimq.jpg

io21hi.jpg

2j4a3wg.jpg

2zee6mf.jpg

r2839d.jpg

2jeqomu.jpg

142g6py.jpg

34yqvqw.jpg

s4534k.jpg

So, come the end of it, the clutch felt odd, trhe engine was on the verge of over heating, and I could smell oil.... brilliant! Everything was ok though, so onto the amusment park..

2qta7g4.jpg

hwwntk.jpg

2s1xhqf.jpg

saxhmp.jpg

21cs1np.jpg

Tiny, isn't it?

mt2x6q.jpg

qpnqtv.jpg

First up, we went for the Rapids. Just a standard model (same as LWV) but these are nicely themed, so they dont look that ugle really.

This is where we first encountered the strict safety regulations they use here. The staff were very friendly, but very 'Hitler'. Basically we weren't allowed on the raipds with anything in our pockets, so, the camera, wallet, phone and car keys had to be left in this large bucket where everyone has to put their stuff.... :?

nqwnbb.jpg

55qk4z.jpg

I dont mind getting wet, but I hate it when you just get a wet arse, it soaks right though and just never dries!

2gxgq49.jpg

So next up was Venom, the smallest freefall tower in the world? Seriously though, do NOT let that fool, its by the most powerful Drop Tower I've been on. Literally, it was incredible!

29opv7d.jpg

This Shark Island interactive thing was new.

29o3joi.jpg

I quite enjoyed the Rollerskater, much better than the Plopsaland version and actually felt quite fast. But I had to LOL at the safety briefing we were given, where everyone on the train had to physically turn their heads and look at the brake run.....!

15yu0c9.jpg

Its like, what, 70ft tall? But the punch that it packs is jut crazy!

1zq6n35.jpg

More crazy safety rules on The Twister. On here, the ride op actually read out the safety rules to you as you board, this made for VERY slow through put!

Another bad example is on the Dodgems, where the ride op locked the door to the control booth everytime he entered/exited it. Again, nothing allowed in pockets!

s1orgy.jpg

Its a nice enough place really, all basic rides, but it was only something like £13.

25s8t1h.jpg

Crap Ghost train.

ok32m8.jpg

?

2s1r4o7.jpg

This was the first time I felt awkward on a kiddie coaster, all children in the queue apart from us! :lol:

2yvw6iv.jpg

25iyxi9.jpg

After we had been on everything, we wandered around, and just had a few (many) re-rides on Venom.

On the way back, we kept seeing these everywhere:

2va1bb7.jpg

What a job!

So, its a nice enough little park really. A bit OTT on the H&S front, but all the staff were really friendly and pleasent, all asking if we were having a good day. Most of the time it was ok to hear them say that, but sometimes it sound a little forced.

Would we return? Doubt it.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Did you go in the bat cave? It's literally my favourite thing at a zoo ever <3

I found the place to be pleasant enough, but I doubt that I would ever return, unless they got another cred =]

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
nadroJ said:
Did you go in the bat cave? It's literally my favourite thing at a zoo ever <3

Chester Zoo's is better :p They are fab though and WMSP has a Lemur walkthrough now that also looks epic. Vague plans to head there this year, but very vague depending on money.

Good report though, I like the place but only in a "good day out for the family" way. It's such a chore to get to though.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
nadroJ said:
^I'm planning on doing Chester Zoo the Sunday after the Blackpool Live ;]

But... NO CREDS!

Knowsley Safari Park does, but that means going through St. Helens and ending up at Knowsley Safari Park :p

If you do go to Chester Zoo, avoid the dull ungulates area on the right of the park from the entrance. The Rhinos are good and the Warthogs, but everything else is hooved and dull. It's all about the Jaguars, Bats and Komodo Dragons :)

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
nadroJ said:
I'm planning on doing Chester Zoo the Sunday after the Blackpool Live ;]

I'll go with you. It's really close to me, it's awesome, and I haven't been for a few years. Not sure if I'm doing Blackpool, but I can just meet you at the zoo if that's the case.

Will

Strata Poster
furie said:
Chester Zoo's is better :p They are fab though...
You beat me to it - but then, having been to more zoos than I'd care to admit, Berlin's still the only one to top Chester in my book. And I work just around the corner from Chester Zoo :) Meanwhile, I do feel some remorse for ruining Martyn's topic, but it was an excuse to resurrect some photos from 5 years ago...
208701_4426375863_7569_n.jpg

207253_4426385863_8238_n.jpg

216948_4427795863_2786_n.jpg

As for elephants, not EVERY zoo has them, and I don't know about your territory, because I don't like the North, but I have a feeling Paignton and London are amongst those sans pachyderm. But at Colchester, you could handfeed an elephant, which made me happy.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Batcave at Chester looks awesome <3 Also, people who went to the WMSP Live, did we ever figure out what that.......thing was that was living with the bats? It was some kind of mammal but it stumped us all haha XD

Will

Strata Poster
The Test That Stumped Them All is a...

Anyway, it's not impossible that it's changed in the last 3 years, but the only non-winged nocturnal animal I can see mentioned on the WMSP website is an aye-aye.
Certainly fits the description, even by CF standards, these are **** up looking creatures...
aye2.jpg

aye_aye_with_pumpkin_at_bristol_zoo_4cbef859be173.jpg

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster
I keep hearing so many good things about Venom. I'm a huge drop tower fan, so really must get down there and try it out soon.

Great PTR :)