What's new

WDW-Epcot | Test Track 2.0

marc

CF Legend
Re: Test Track 2.0 | WDW-Epcot

The queue and the music are 100% better I agree with you there.

It's just the use of big screens on the ride I don't really like. Yes it looks really clean and pretty etc but that's about it.

I just cannot help feel this will date very fast, but I suppose they can change what's displayed easily now.

Gazza

Giga Poster

Mike said:
Are you people watching the same videos as me? I think it looks pretty awesome to be honest!
Are you watching the ones posted in the thread? If so, yes.

No doubt the new ride looks very pretty, but the experience just seems a whole lot more passive compared to the old one.

Some of the scenes, like the minature city model you see lighting up look really cool, but just seem there for the sake of it.

If they had gone and put all this effort and used similar ideas for effects into the Tron ride they obviously want deep down inside it would have been better.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Test Track 1.0 was a very solid ride, so Disney right out the gate has tough competition with trying to refresh it.

First of all, the new "Chevrolet Design Center" is one of the best pre-show concepts I have seen. Disney could have copped out with having pre-set shapes/designs, limiting selection to a specific number of possibilities. By allowing for sculpting of the body, etc., riders really are able to get in-depth with their model design. Considering that was the crux of the entire redesign, I'm glad Disney put serious effort into pulling it off.

The new ride experience is definitely Tron-like with hard, neon lines and abstract elementals. It'll be hit or miss for critics - the original crash test theming was solidly good. I'm not 100% sold on the new theming (woe is me over losing the corrosion robots!), but I wouldn't call it a failure right now.

I'll wait until after opening to pass final judgement, but am glad to see that Disney put a solid foot forward.

marc

CF Legend

Don't get wrong it needed an update, but I thought it would be an update of the original idea with new ideas etc.

Maybe it will be good when on it.

I just hoped for more.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

I much prefer the old Test track. The biggest for the low maintenance is relatively simple. They don't want to spend the money to keep fixing everything. Once the effects stopped working they become exponentially worse each year. I went in 2009 and some of the effects were working on and off. Went back in 2010 and most of the effects didn't work. In 2011 NOTHING worked including the screens in the car. They decided to spend a lot of money now and very little in the future than trying to keep fixing the effects time and time again.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

I can understand preferring the old theme to the new, but wouldn't it be a good step forward to eliminate broken special effects and replace them through a more reliable means?

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

Yes. I just wish the didn't get rid of ALL the good effects.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Naemuti

Mega Poster

The aesthetic of the new Test Track is decidedly more "EPCOT" than...traffic cones and road signs. It's a little cheesy in places though. Too many screens in the new environmental tests (where the Brake Test) used to be. They look tacky as ****. Also, there's a huge clash between the look of the new ride and the old ride that seems painfully apparent as you shoot outside during the "final test". They really should have enclosed the final loop, IMO. The new pre-queue is beautiful, of course, as is the design room, and I am really looking forward to designing a car; it looks quite fun.

They really should have gotten rid of the scaffolding and the Cool Wash, as well. That area is never going to look as nice as when World of Motion was a thing.

rich210uk

Mega Poster

:-( its no Test Rack any more. The new version doesnt look like it has any sort of story or meaning. We loved the old one and the thought of being a test crash dummy going through the different stages of testing but now it just looks like you sit in a moving car looking at pretty lights.

Will have to hold judgment until its been ridden but from the videos we have seen, were going to miss the old Test Track!

Nic

Strata Poster

Let's start by putting this into context. I've never been to Florida, so never saw the original. In addition to that, the only thing I have to compare it to is Radiator Springs Racers.

I like the whole thing of being able to design your own car at the beginning providing you get one screen each (or at least one per party) which it looks like you probably do? However, I don't really see the point? People have said that your design is featured during the ride, but I couldn't see it? What did I miss?

The indoor section looks ok. Although there is a storyline of sorts, it's not executed very well. They need to make the narrative a bit stronger. Meanwhile, the outdoor bit looks turd on a stick.

I like that there's games and stuff to play with on exit, but in reality this'll be horrible because it'll just be full of annoying children and their even more annoying parents. Apparently, as an adult who has paid more to get in than some annoying brats, that doesn't entitle me to an equal/better experience. Apparently elbowing children out of the way is also unacceptable? So yeah, anything with this setup is, in reality, ****. Stuff like that is only good if there are allocated places and enough for one each (like the design screens at the start)

All in all, looks a bit crap.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^This post needs more questions marks on the end of statements?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

rich210uk said:
:-( its no Test Rack any more. The new version doesnt look like it has any sort of story or meaning. We loved the old one and the thought of being a test crash dummy going through the different stages of testing but now it just looks like you sit in a moving car looking at pretty lights.

Will have to hold judgment until its been ridden but from the videos we have seen, were going to miss the old Test Track!
There is still a theme, which has shifted from crash test dummies to testing car designs themselves. A lot of contention lies in the Tron-style presentation of each test.

Nic said:
I like the whole thing of being able to design your own car at the beginning providing you get one screen each (or at least one per party) which it looks like you probably do? However, I don't really see the point? People have said that your design is featured during the ride, but I couldn't see it? What did I miss?

The indoor section looks ok. Although there is a storyline of sorts, it's not executed very well. They need to make the narrative a bit stronger. Meanwhile, the outdoor bit looks turd on a stick.
Your design is shown on an in-car display as well as screens throughout the ride that shows your car design vs. other models.

I can agree with the notion of a stronger "narrative," but will quickly point out there never has really been one. With Test Track 1.0 you were a crash test dummy, going through various car tests. There was a male voiceover throughout the ride, but it was a straight forward theme. It would seem Disney went for the same format with the new car design theme, having a narrator describe each test as you are going through it.

spicy

Giga Poster

I just think version 1 just had a lot more going on, the new one looks too dark in places, with random neon lights here and there.

In my opinion, physical effects and animatronics are always much better than screens and lights anyway.

They have also lost the best part of the entire ride with the crash test scene gone. Now the door moving out the way in the last minute is just for the sake of it, rather than it being the wall which you were meant to crash into.

The outdoor part now looks out of place as well, if your meant to be in some futuristic computer the outdoor part now makes no sense. They should have enclosed the entire outdoor track to really finish it off with neon lights. Would have really finished the new theme off.

Gazza

Giga Poster

Your design is shown on an in-car display as well as screens throughout the ride that shows your car design vs. other models.
The awkward moment when you realise its almost inevitable the "scores" and rankings of each design at each test are probably completely random.

It's like when you play the Mission Control game at the exit of Mission Space. The winning team always gets "99% efficiency" for their score, and the losing team just misses out, with "98% efficiency".

So basically, that whole exhibit/mini attraction is just 5 minutes of button mashing.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

So reports are that today's Grand Opening of New Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom didn't go over as "big" as expected attendance wise. The park is very slow & the queue for the new ride is only 35 minutes.

marc

CF Legend

It's still soft opening tbh, the parks will start getting busy next week.

We were there this time 2 years ago and every single park was dead even ioa with the new potter land.

The new land looks good but let's be honest there is just 1 new ride a fancy meet and greet and a restaurant.

nadroJ

CF Legend

I really, really hate it. I hate TRON, and I really loved the weirdness of being a crash test dummy on a ride, almost kind of morbid in a way. But yeah, I hate this.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Have to agree with the people who are unimpressed with this new version, having just watched the two pov's back to back to refresh my memory of the old one.

When I was younger this ride used to scare me, but I don't think younger me would be scared on this new version!

This new version doesn't seem to have that "danger" factor to it that will capture the imagination of the guests (particularly the younger guests). IMO a good dark ride will have get at least the younger riders scared/on the edge of their seats. ..it seems they have toned it down quite a lot.

I like pretty lights and colours, don't get me wrong, but it seems a bit too virtual.