What's new

Water ride elements

coasterboy

Mega Poster
At the moment, I am trying to design a water ride for a project i'm doing at school. I want it to include elements like reversing sections, but i can't think of any other ones. Can someone help me out?

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
What type of water ride are you looking at as there are several like River Rapids and Log Flumes. Or you just looking in general?

NASHER

Roller Poster
Water rides tend to be very straightforward, due mostly to the fact that water must be pumped around whatever element you are trying to build. This is why water rides never include any sort of "up" section (i.e as in a rollercoaster - the track slopes upwards and the car uses only it's own kinetic energy to climb the hill). There are some exceptions, which can lead to water rides being (incorectly) classed as coasters by credit whores, but on the most part these are small, and only serve to return the ride car to the station.
On water rides, the main elements tend to be dilivered through themeing rather that bending the track in parculiar ways. For example a typical water ride will have: Station, Themed section, Small drop, Themed section, Big drop, Station.
Therefore you should concentrate more on trying to theme the ride well than on making it an intense experience.
Water coasters, however, can and do contain any number of elements.
Hope this helps. :wink:

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
NASHER said:
This is why water rides never include any sort of "up" section (i.e as in a rollercoaster - the track slopes upwards and the car uses only it's own kinetic energy to climb the hill). There are some exceptions, which can lead to water rides being (incorectly) classed as coasters by credit whores, but on the most part these are small, and only serve to return the ride car to the station.

If it's on rcdb I count it... Especially when the Supersplash's have 2 drops and 2 upwards sections due to the reversal part at the top not involving a 180 turn as must non-coaster water rides (i.e Hydro) do...

You cannot argue with rcdb's classifications...

Kebab

Giga Poster
Nemesis Inferno said:
NASHER said:
This is why water rides never include any sort of "up" section (i.e as in a rollercoaster - the track slopes upwards and the car uses only it's own kinetic energy to climb the hill). There are some exceptions, which can lead to water rides being (incorectly) classed as coasters by credit whores, but on the most part these are small, and only serve to return the ride car to the station.

If it's on rcdb I count it... Especially when the Supersplash's have 2 drops and 2 upwards sections due to the reversal part at the top not involving a 180 turn as must non-coaster water rides (i.e Hydro) do...

You cannot argue with rcdb's classifications...

Thats clearly a water coaster. You can tell by the actual track before the drop, and a similarity to Poseidon. If you want to class a water ride that has an uphill section then see Rio bravo at Warner Madrid, theres a backwards drop that also has an airtime hill after that; completely classed as a proper water flume ride too.

scotlandrulz

Roller Poster
Dudley Do Rights Ripsaw Falls is another example of this.

You could do sort of a water coaster style, personally I would do a Maverick style as that was originally intended to be an AquaTrax.

NASHER

Roller Poster
^ yes but to count it as a coaster is just wrong. I don't care what RCDB or anyone else says. A log flume/Water chute style ride is not a coaster. It is a log fume/water splash style ride.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
So Nasher, do you think this is a log flume and not a coaster?

Why can't it be both?

p4013.jpg

NASHER

Roller Poster
^That is quite clearly a coaster with a splash down element (water coaster) in the same way as sheikra, Griffon, or Manta. When someone counts a ride as a coaster because it has a two foot ramp at the end, that is just whoredom.

A

Anonymous

^ You can't compare the splash on the Mack water coaster with the ones on the new B&M's since the Mack one completely disengages the rails in the water and become more or less a normal flume ride, whereas the B&M's don't.

Another thing that is a bit interesting is that some flume rides in Japan are very similar to the Mack water coaster.
Ex, on the "Adventure Cruise" side of "Twin Mercury" at Space world most of the sections between the lifts and the splashes are ridden just like a coaster on a track (without any water). One part is a heavily banked helix with a small hill before the splash.

Why can't these be counted as coasters.

NASHER

Roller Poster
^If it does have helixes and upward sections then it is a coaster. But counting a log flume because "it goes up at one point" isn't good enough, IMHO.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Sorry, I didn't realise this was another boring 'credit-or-not' topic. Go somewhere else with your argument and leave this topic for people who just want to answer a guys question.

To be honest, the only things I can think of with a log flume are a backwards section, maybe like a trick-track sort of thing? But then again, you would have to incorporate coaster track and it seems like you don't want to do this.

What about have parts of the ride indoors and doing something like a revolving tunnel like in ghost trains or a thing similar to the Bubbleworks finale at CWoA?

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
I wasn't looking to start a coaster/not a coaster argument, just to get a clarification on the point Nash was tring to make. I understand his POV now, and I don't disagree.

If you are looking for strictly flume type elements, you do limit yourself drastically to what you can do. Turntables, reverser elements and maybe even a tilt-table like at Parque Espana, is just about all I can think of. Everything else would pretty much need to be locked into rails.

I guess there are whirlpools like on some raft rides, waterfalls and other watereffects...

coasterboy

Mega Poster
I'm planning on having a coaster/water ride style, I've changed my theme to Atlantis. On my design, it does go on tracks at some points like on the reverser sections which are similar in style to Expedition Everest. Some of the elements I've got are a bit strange, but possible. The finale involves the car launching off the tracks into the water- this is possible, I posted a link to a video of one that does in my previous post. However, I think the weirdest one is a funnel section, simillar to some water slides. The whole thing will be indoors but will have a section to get guests wet at the finale. I like the idea of a trick- track, i do have some sections that don't have much going on so i could put it on a bridge section.

BTW, if you want to argue and bicker about water rides not being coasters, then do it somewhere else.

A

Anonymous

You could have a water coaster like seaworld maybe or just a massive one like thorpe park or a duble drop but i hope you do well m8 :lol: