What's new

Watch the tram car, please - Morey's Piers, 6 Aug 2017

Mrsupersonic8

Roller Poster
My first visit to a boardwalk ever! Me and my family are going to Ocean City, Maryland for a vacation and we managed to work out a visit to Morey's Piers.

J7Sggta.jpg

"-the tram car, please. Watch the tram car, please. Watch the tram car, please."

First stop, Adventure Pier. I convinced my dad to get the wristband, as it's a better deal than buying a ticket card and rid me of having to worry about running out of tickets. The only rides on Adventure Pier that the wristband would be valid for (at least without an upcharge) were Great White and the maze. Luckily, the rest of the rides on the the other two piers were covered.

First ride of the day: Great White, my first CCI. It's pretty smooth for a woodie, with only a bit of shuffling and a few jerks. It has great floater air that's borderline ejector when riding in the back. Laterals are where it really shines, though, and even manages to get a few moments of combined air and laterals. (7/10) (2x)

Mariner's Landing was next. Honestly, I would have skipped this if I weren't looking to build creds for my 50th milestone.

Sea Serpent
It's a...no...er...THE first Vekoma Boomerang. Not like it matters. *shrug* (6/10)(1x)

Rollie's Coaster
One word review: meh. (5/10)(1x)

One thing I took note of was the scenery. It's beautiful, well thought out, and really enhances everything. Space was also well managed, and nearly every space that could be filled, was filled. They even crammed in bathrooms under Sea Serpent, an area that would normally be off limits. Very clever thinking by Morey's Piers.

"Watch the tram car, please. Watch the tram car, please."

Last but certainly not least, Surfside Pier, the original pier. Again the scenery and use of space were on point. It's the crown jewel of these piers, and it shows, with Zoom Phloom, Nor'Easter, and a much more diverse collection of flat rides.

This brings us to the fourth coaster of the day and my 50th coaster milestone, Fly The Great Nor'Easter.
Wow. The vest restraints are a major improvement. However, they have a tendency to crush your legs, (partly the ride ops' fault, they pushed down it as far as it could go) but I'll take that over head banging any day. This thing has everything: balls to the wall intensity, loads of foot choppers, and even a bit of airtime. Yeah, you heard me right. AIRTIME. More SLCs should be like this. They can be amazing rides once you clear up the roughness. (9/10) (3x)

After a quick spin on the pier's flyers, the last two cred grabs were in order. Both of them were plagued by their lower capacities, which was compounded by the park's passable-at-best operations. As a result, the lines were much longer than they should have been. I should note that most other rides were walk-ons, even Nor'Easter. With one train. *eye roll*

Doo Wopper
Your typical wild mouse (though Zamperla insists on calling it a "zig zag" coaster). Left-right-left-right turns like a soldier marching followed by few bunny hops full of nothing. In this model though, one particular turn was sharp enough to surprise me, but beyond that, it's just okay. (6/10) (1x)

Flitzer
Blaaah. Airtime-less, forceless, pointless. As "last-of-its-kind" and "unique" as it may be, it feels like Zierer's failed attempt to recreate a Jet Star. One-and-done cred. (4/10) (1x)

The only real standout flat here has to be... *ahem*... "it". No, really, that's the name. "It" is a KMG FreakOut with lap bars. LAP BARS. The experience is SOOOO much better thanks to them. There really should be more with them. (Hot take: shoulder restraints are a thing of the past, and the only situations that could ever even *slightly* justify them would be ones involving hangtime.)

Walking down the quite scenic Wildwood boardwalk, we watched the tram car one last time. I had made an easy 6 creds while hitting a a milestone along the way. But with the moon rising and the sky darkening, we went back to the motel to prepare for our further journey to Maryland.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Just a quick tip for you - you can embed images (rather than thinking directly) using the following BBCode:
Code:
[img]insert image URL here[/img]
For example:
Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/J7Sggta.jpg[/img]
Gives you:

J7Sggta.jpg

I've gone through your post and edited the tags sot the images embed - makes the viewing a little easier. :)

- - - -

It's good to hear that the new trains make Great Nor' Easter a bit more pleasant, but 9/10 just feels like blasphemy! ;)

The second to last picture is rather nice too, the moon and dark sky set a nice atmospheric feel for the photo.

Mrsupersonic8

Roller Poster
Well, thanks! Embedding on mobile is a pain, so I just dropped the links in.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
A cute little trip! American piers always look so cool and stuffed with rides compared to our small Victorian examples in the UK.
Airtime on an SLC, huh?!

Mrsupersonic8

Roller Poster
A cute little trip! American piers always look so cool and stuffed with rides compared to our small Victorian examples in the UK.
Airtime on an SLC, huh?!
Yeah, it's definitely there on the sideways hill after the roll over. It generates a decent amount of off-axis floater. I always thought that it was a pointless element, but now I know it actually does something!