What's new

Walt Disney Studios Paris | Ratatouille | Dark ride

Martyn B

CF Legend
Its been rumoured/discussed for a while now on DLP forums about some Ratatouille dark ride in the Studio's.

Now this has appeared....

37027.JPG

As well as this from a while back...

ratato13.jpg

http://i17.servimg.com/u/f17/11/37/83/24/ratato13.jpg

Thanks to photomagique.com

marc

CF Legend
I thought it had been passed that the ride would be built using the same system as Poo in Japan?

I know I remember reading it somewhere.

peep

CF Legend
Wow, wasn't expecting a photo like that to appear for a long time.

Marc, yes, the ride system is going to be the same as the Pooh ride in Tokyo (and I think one of the American parks?).

The whole project sounds intriguing if a little annoying that it'll be yet another Pixar themed attraction. I also thought that the ride was meant to open in 2012 for the 20th anniversary so expect this to take ages to construct. Unless they are bringing it forward a year which would be awesome.

Mark

Strata Poster
Nah I reckon you were right the first time Peep.

This will take an absolute age to build.

I don't think either of the American parks have the same ride system as of yet on Pooh... Although tbh, I hate Winnie the Pooh so I didn't investigate further...

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
The Toyko Pooh ride has a different system to the American versions...

Toyko Pooh uses the LPS (local positioning signal) instead of the normal tracked based style... Hence it allows the 3 cars to go and do whatever the hell they seem to want throughout the ride...

If it's the Toyko ride system, I want it...

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
If it's the Tokyo Pooh ride system, then that awful park will actually provide me with a reason to go back. Pooh's Hunny Hunt is one of, if not the best family rides I've ever been on.

Martyn B

CF Legend
a little annoying that it'll be yet another Pixar themed attraction

The Pixar films are the most popular though, so you can see their motives.

Ratattouille wasn't my favourite film, I'd much rather see some proper Monsters Inc attraction.

marc

CF Legend
Ratattouille was picked as its based in Paris, simple one really.

As Martyn said it will probably take some time to construct, I mean look how long ToT took and the new rides.

Martyn B

CF Legend
ToT was a massive project though, this is just a dark ride.

Like Peep said, its surprising to see stuff like this already as its not due to open for a couple of years. They probably just like to get things started early so they dont have to rush the build?

Martyn B

CF Legend
^ I see what you mean. But there's two types of Disney dark rides as far as I'm aware. The awsome ones like Phantom Manor, Pirates etc, then there are the quite crappish ones like Snow White and Pinocchio, that feel like a quick jobby.

Waffleman

Mega Poster
^The "quick jobbys", as you put them, I believe are kept in that style to compliment the originals, whereas Pirates and Haunted Mansion(s) are much more creative, different and improved from park to park.

I remember seeing huge "globe" things that were meant to be for this ride a while ago, which were stated to be giant curved projection screens, I'm wondering if it's all going to be screens or if there's gonna be a nice amount of animatronics, because I love animatronics but screens seem to be taking over.

spicy

Giga Poster
So how does the Tokyo trackless ride system make the ride experience so much better?

Also out of interest if anyone knows, how does that work?

Also great news for DLP, the studios is fast becoming the park that it should have been to start off with!

marc

CF Legend
As Erol has pointed out before in France they have different construction laws. The ToT in DLP is the same as in California yet the one there was built in half the time and does not have half the problems.

I have only seen a POV of Poo in Japan and it does look good, I just hope DLP invest the money and make it good.

How long did Crush take to construct?

A

Anonymous

spicy said:
So how does the Tokyo trackless ride system make the ride experience so much better?

Also out of interest if anyone knows, how does that work?
Instead of a tracked system where every car follows the exact same path, the Tokyo system have 3 honey pots riding with each other and they are racing, "dancing", spinning in a fluid and chaotic way (all rides seems to be similar but are in fact unique, due to the fact that the cars are steered in real time), which makes this system so much more than "just" another dark ride.

Each car have it's own drive system which can drive it along in any direction, inside the building there is a LPS system (like a GPS but Local) which the cars use to tell the main computer where they are and the main computer then tells each car what to do next.

Aquatopia uses a similar system, but a bit different since they uses a pre-planed route, and the navigation is done in a bit different way (much like an automated forklift).

It's really nice to see that they are planning to build new versions of this ride system, since it's awesome!!

Tim

Roller Poster
Wow, so this is definately going ahead then...

Nice... but...

There goes the chances of getting Indiana Jones Adventure

peep

CF Legend
Tim said:
Wow, so this is definately going ahead then...

Nice... but...

There goes the chances of getting Indiana Jones Adventure

Why? If they were eventually going to get Indiana Jones Adventure that is the last place they were going to put it.

I'm quite excited about Ratatouille, it's annoying it's another Pixar attraction but the rumoured trackless ride system sounds cool and the theming already put in looks nice.

marc

CF Legend
Indiana Jones is totally over rated and will not work in French. The ride really does rely on a story.

I know people will say get over it, but honest if it is in French only no one that cannot speak French will have a clue what is going on.

If they were to get the Indiana attraction I think it would go near the Indiana coaster.

I actually think that they have made the right choice here. The park needs a high capacity ride as the other high capacity attractions there are shows.

I do think though the other park needs some new things and I am a bit worried all focus is on the studio park. Yes I know they need to get the number of visitors up there.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Worst. Park. Ever.

I hate looking at overhead maps of it, it just emphasises how badly planned out the park is, with especial loathing towards the placement of Tower of ****e. It literally makes me want to weep.

And a Ratatouille ride in Disneyland PARIS. Ooh. I can see it now. 'Come to Walt Disney Studios Paris and ride Ratatouille, where you can have an amazing adventure on the streets of.........Paris'

Yay? I don't know about anyone else but part of going to a theme park for me is to escape to magical mysterious lands I would never get to experience in real life, not see a recreation of a city which is literally within an hour away.

Stupid Studios. Can we not petition to tear the place down and start again?