What's new

[Walibi Belgium] Plans for 2012!

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
Get ready for great news! Walibi Belgium recieved their enviromental plan from the city of Wavre. And this means that the park will have to do some improvements and they got new rules to keep the park open till 2031!

* But first things first...Walibi Belgium announced that Turbine will officially re-open in 2012. The Schwarzkopf classic will be renovated and will get a complete new theming starting from 2012. The ride will be completely indoors and will probably have another theming than the ones we have seen on the blueprints. General theming and theming from trains and such will be announced later!

* Because of Turbine operating again from 2012, the park will build a brand new area around the rollercoaster. It has been said the name of that new zone will be the 'Fabulous Area'.

* The city of Wavre said that on normal operating days, the park can be opened from minimum 10 AM till at least 7 PM.

* The park is allowed to be open between 10 AM and 11 PM 10 days per season.

* The park can only be opened for special events organised by private facilities for only 10 times per year. It is not allowed to have fireworks during these days (only on Nocturnes).

* The park has the approval to open brand new rides, as long as they don't get over the soundlimit!

* The park has to do anything to inform visitors about closing times of the rides. The park will have to make sure the loudest rides in the park are closed at the agreed times during late night openings.

* New walls to block the noise have to be placed in and around the park.

* New rides have to be painted in not to bright colors to fit in with the enviroment.

* The Fabulous Arena, where the park show can be found has to be re-constructed to avoid to much noise for the locals.

* "Les Versants de la Dyle", a society that is trying to do everything to close the whole themepark asked the city of Wavre that rides such as BuzZsaw (the Huss Top Spin) and Dalton Terror to be covered to avoid screaming from visitors. The city of Wavre said that this should not have to be done because both rides are located in the centre of the park.

Source: http://www.walibifans.be

peep

CF Legend
Wow, "Les Versants de la Dyle" sound like a really evil version of Alton's Ropers. I had no idea the park had these sort of issues from the locals. Is it located quite close to houses then?

Jake

Strata Poster
Spite, the day after I go...

Oh well, the Boomerang was closed anyway, so it's a good enough reason to go back.

Btw, are they doing something to the Boomerang? It had a fence around it...

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
Jake said:
Spite, the day after I go...
Btw, are they doing something to the Boomerang? It had a fence around it...

No! Cobra is closed because of the floodings that took place in the park in November 2011. Something is wrong and they are now working on it. I hope it reopens when I get there saturday.

Anyway, Versants de la Dyle...its more like the terror from Wavre. The whole thing is started by locals from Walibi Belgium. Their street is located behind the park. Is it pretty close to the park? Well...let's say that some of them can actually say they have Turbine in the back of their garden. When you exit the queue of Turbine and you take about 5 steps to your left, you can step into the garden of the locals.

Enough said, they already have done alot of things. The park used to have openings from 10 AM till 9 PM during summer. Since 2003 they cut it back from 10 AM till 7 PM. They are the reason why the park stopped playing music in the back of the park since many years. They are the reason why Turbine is enclosed and Bounty was removed. They were also the reason why Walibi payed almost 1 million of EUR to replace wheels on Turbine and Cobra and had them fill their supports with sand. They are also the reason why Six Flags decided to build a standard Boomerang instead of a Giant Inverted Boomerang (Stuntfall in Madrid was actually set up to be build in Walibi Belgium, Cobra was set up for Madrid). And rumors say, they are the reason why the plans of the Intamin Hyper Coaster were cancelled!

oriolat2

Giga Poster
I always believed that Stunt Fall was planned for SF Holland anyway.

Still, good news. Turbine is staying, but I am not that happy about the restrictions put on the opening schedules. BTW, if Turbine reopens, does this mean another, say, 2 years without new coasters because they are counting this as a new attraction?

If so, shame on them. After the Vertigo flop, they *really* should get something big -a flagship ride- to catch up with Bobbejaanland and their Dutch neighbours.

Ben

CF Legend
^Yeah, exactly!

Luckily, in Belgium people don't have jobs, commitments, family, friends or kids in schools to worry about, it's JUST housing prices.

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
And what I have feared became true: Les Versants de la Dyle are going to court. They do not agree with the new enviromental plans. However, Walibi Belgium said that the re-opening of Turbine will not be in danger!!!