What's new

[Walibi Belgium] Grand Opening Pictures Aqualibi!

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
In 1987, Walibi Waver opened Aqualibi, the biggest waterpark in Belgium. It was a longtime dream from Walibi-founder Eddy Meeùs. He travelled around the world visiting waterparks and brought the most unique rides to Belgium. Rapido, the rapid river in Aqualibi still is -after 19 years operating- still one of the most popular waterrides in Belgium.

After 22 years, Walibi Belgium announced that Aqualibi will be closed starting January 4th 2010 till spring 2011. The park will recieve a complete renovation, such as a new glass roof, technical stuff,...
It has been also said tAqualibi will be renewed, because it looks pretty old these days. And as Caroline Crucifix, PR Manager of Aqualibi said, there will also be a surprise...

The whole project will cost 10.000.000 EUR!

Aqualibi.jpg

aqualibi.jpg

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
Today, press and fans were invited to Aqualibi to the official release for the future renovation of Aqualibi. Plans and concept-arts were revealed, concluding a total make-over for Aqualibi.

What is about to happen?

First of all, CdA decided to invest over 10.000.000 EUR after a huge growth in number of visitors for Aqualibi. In a total of 20 years, Aqualibi recieved over 8.000.000 visitors. From 180.000 visitors in 2004 to a record of 320.000 in 2009.

At first, the enterance zone, dressingrooms and such will get a complete new look, will be enlarged to give visitors more comfort. Aqualibi will have a more modern and up-to-date look, but will keep its tropical character as we are used to.

New rides? Of course. The most popular rides in the waterpark such as the pool with waves, wild water river Rapido and the relaxation zone Laguna Verde will be kept, but will be completely re-themed.

The park will also build 4 (!) new waterslides, featuring one complete transparant slide that will offer visitors a panoramic view on Walibi Belgium itself. Kids will also get a new zone: Aqualibi 4 Kids. A rock-shaped colorfull zone with kiddie-rides and many funny and amusing extra's.

Aqualibi will also invest in a more enviromental friendly system so they can at least 40% less use of energy.

As pictures say more than words (and sorry for my wacky English):

_1_Entree_Aqua.jpg

_2_Exterieur_Aqualibi.jpg

_5_Nouvel_Aqualibi.jpg

_6_Plage.jpg

_7_Aire_de_jeu.jpg

Thanks to http://www.walibi.net for the pictures!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
This does look pretty good! With the waterpark renovated (I assume it's all indoor), the park will draw guests year-round, even (or most notably) on rainy days where the park itself gets little to no visitors. The pyramid looks cool too, and if the surrounding area is as flat as I've heard Belgium is, it should provide some view when queueing. The duel aspect is a plus as well.

On that last pic, is that the exit of a dark slide I can see there by the waterfall? If so, I hope it starts way up inside the mountain. Dark slides are epic.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
When did they start hiring 5 year olds to create their concept art?

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
Pokemaniac said:
This does look pretty good! With the waterpark renovated (I assume it's all indoor), the park will draw guests year-round, even (or most notably) on rainy days where the park itself gets little to no visitors. The pyramid looks cool too, and if the surrounding area is as flat as I've heard Belgium is, it should provide some view when queueing. The duel aspect is a plus as well.

Walibi Belgium has said that their biggest dream is to open all year-round and should have been opened all year long since 2007. However, the park decided not to stay open cause they're not ready for it. Who knows it might happen in 2011, because Walibi Belgium announced that 2011 will be the BIG year for the park.

To give you an idea how Aqualibi looks right now:

DSC05197-border.jpg

DSC05210-border.jpg

DSC05222-border.jpg

DSC05231-border.jpg

DSC05237-border.jpg

Pictures by Matthias @ http://www.walibifriends.be

Martyn B

CF Legend
This is good news, and its nice to see them investing like this, however, without sounding selfish, I'd like to see CdA investing like this in their UK park!

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
103_0995.jpg

I don't think they'll be able to fit that into one of the lockers :lol:

Concept art looks decent enough, it's just concepts, so doesn't have to look that professional, indeed, concept art takes many forms (guess who's been learning about sketching and stuff at uni this week ;))

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
Martyn B said:
This is good news, and its nice to see them investing like this, however, without sounding selfish, I'd like to see CdA investing like this in their UK park!

I remember CdA being very picky about investing in parks. I remember when CdA acquired the Walibi-parks, they said that they see Parc Asterix and Walibi Belgium as their two mainparks. Reason was because they had the most number of visitors from all the parks they own (Parc Asterix has about 1.800.000 per year, Walibi Belgium 1.300.000). For example, CdA invested over 20.000.000 EUR in Walibi Belgium the past 4 years!

Anyway, new pictures have arrived today, I'll try to post them later!

Martyn B

CF Legend
Back to Walibi Belgium, how are their gate figures nowadays? And whats this 20m euro's been spent on?

Forgetting about Vertigo, they haven't added a coaster since 2001, it'd be nice for them to add a new coaster instead of revamping the already popular water park.

Though its better to see them doing this than doing nothing.

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
Martyn B said:
Back to Walibi Belgium, how are their gate figures nowadays? And whats this 20m euro's been spent on?

They had about 1.350.000 visitors in 2008, numbers for 2009 are not available yet. However, I think it would be somewhere between 1.200.000 and 1.300.000 as it is about every year!

And what's the 20 million they spent? They spent on some internal improvements. Such as adding a couple of new restaurants (BBQ & Grill Restaurant, Italian restaurant, Chinese restaurant and Mexican Restaurant, each of them with specific theming). In 2007 they revamped Calamity Mine and Radja River and added extra special effects and extra theming on both rides. For 2008 they repainted Dalton Terror and Cobra. That's about it.

Martyn B said:
Forgetting about Vertigo, they haven't added a coaster since 2001, it'd be nice for them to add a new coaster instead of revamping the already popular water park.

I know! To bad (for them) Vertigo didn't work out. However, it has been said on the last Rollercoaster Fan Day at Walibi Belgium (the park has this yearly event where they invite parkfans from Belgium, Holland and Germany to let them in the park & hour before openingtime and give them many ERT's plus many extra's) that 2011 will be THE year for Walibi Belgium with many things that are about to be changed. And don't forget: the park is still looking for a replacement ride for Vertigo.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Well I think they're doing well to keep pulling in the visitors bare in mind they haven't added a major attraction in years. They must be doing something right I guess.

I'm planning on doing quite a few weekends trips in Europe next year, I would like to go to WB, but to be honest, there isn't anything there that makes me want to visit. Loop Garou looks good, but its a long way to go for just a 'good' Woodie.

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
Martyn B said:
Well I think they're doing well to keep pulling in the visitors bare in mind they haven't added a major attraction in years. They must be doing something right I guess.

I am absolutely the name 'Walibi' that does the whole thing. I remember that after the 'flagging' from Walibi Waver to Six Flags Belgium in 2001, the management of the park got many letters and mails from people who were really wondering where that orange kangooroo was and that they missed it. I remember in the 80's and 90's that orange kangooroo was everywhere: as teddybears, on bedsheets, glasses, maps, mugs, keyhangers,...and the number of visitors increased after the name Walibi was used again in 2005.

And for a new ride...I must be pretty carefull with what I say. But there is this rumor going around about a Dark Ride/Coaster for Walibi World in 2011. While CDA is closing and removing many rides in Walibi World since 2005, it sounds pretty weird that they are suddenly adding a major ride like that. I don't know what it is, but something tells me this ride is not ment to be for Walibi World...

Martyn B

CF Legend
While CDA is closing and removing many rides in Walibi World since 2005, it sounds pretty weird that they are suddenly adding a major ride like that.

Its not that weird though, is it? Parks need to add new attractions to bring the punters in.

Isn't La Via Volta ment to re-open this year?

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
Martyn B said:
While CDA is closing and removing many rides in Walibi World since 2005, it sounds pretty weird that they are suddenly adding a major ride like that.

Its not that weird though, is it? Parks need to add new attractions to bring the punters in.

Well, the answer from Walibi World to the question why they are removing so much rides, they say because they have too much capacity. Not that weird though, I mean, the park had almost 2.000.000 visitors in 2000, and less then 5 years, the number of visitors went down to only 700.000. But having too much capacity, remove rides and suddenly add a new ride? I don't get that point.

And the rumor from La Via Volta being re-opened were already there one year after it closed. And it is officially announed that it will NOT re-open this year.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Oh right, I didn't think it was a rumour. I remeber seeing a PTR from WW not too long ago, they had a wall up around LVV, with sign saying "opening 2010..."