What's new

Valhalla at Blackpool Pleasure Beach to be closed in 2020?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Not necessarily - sustainability also means they could be changing pumps to more efficient ones, sealing any cracks in the trough that lead to water displacement (which is a problem for the ride) as well as updating ride technology that means downtime and engineering costs drop. It's not always a doom and gloom term.
You're right, it could. But it doesn't here. ;)

Out of interest - How could they make the ride 'less wet' - i know other water rides and other parks are able to alter the wetness factor of splashes to depend on the season , technically how is this done? is it to do with the amount of water/water level in the splash troughs?

To be honest From the couple of times I've done it - it WAS too wet, and with the weather in Blackpool equates to a rather unpleasant few hours as your trousers and shoes are dripping wet! if It was knowingly less wet I'd be more inclined to ride again, as i love dark rides! One of the main problems was the water in the bottom of the boats sloshing about (a good 4 or 5 inches or a good foot if you're at the front or back when the water rolls on the lift hills/drops). I've noticed other parks water rides have that grill flooring to allow water flow underneath and through a plughole!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Out of interest - How could they make the ride 'less wet' - i know other water rides and other parks are able to alter the wetness factor of splashes to depend on the season , technically how is this done? is it to do with the amount of water/water level in the splash troughs?
A lot can be done with the shape of the boats, for instance. I've read that the boats of SuperSplash at TusenFryd are built to create a very big and visually impressive splash, but also to direct the water away from the boat itself.

DelPiero

The issues with the ride aren't that it's too wet, in reality that is one of the incredible things about the ride. People who think it's too wet should go ride the log flume instead, celebrate it's uniqueness. There's a reason why has been voted best water ride a few times.
The problems are the broken effects, water leakage and the boats not dumping the excess water effectively. If they can fix those in a year the ride will be better than ever. It's certainly one of the last rides which should be removed from BPB.