What's new

USA June 2014 - Three Goons, One World Cup

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Hi guys - I'm Dave, the guy you met at Six Flags Great Adventure a couple of weeks ago. Fun reading these reports, now that the site has let me register on the forums (finally!) I'll put together my own report from SF, KD and BGW soon.
Was good to meet y'all, look forward to reading the next instalments.

Darren B

Giga Poster
Hi Howie (Dave), nice to see you've joined the forums. And likewise, it was a pleasure meeting you too. Really looking forward to your trip reports!

Day 4, Dorney Park & Knoebels

I apologise in advance that I have absolutely no photo's for this day. I left my phone in the car all day as I was intending to do the water rides at these parks. (I didn't).

Dorney Park

I've heard a lot of negatives about this park; that it's dull, concrete heaven, lacks atmosphere etc. but I found it to be very pleasant, and extremely clean, one of the cleanest parks I've been too. We didn't stay too long, we literally were on a cred run here and rode every coaster once before moving on. My thoughts;

Hydra the Revenge - I wasn't expecting anything from this ride as again, everyone slates it as being rough, painful, rattler etc. but I really enjoyed it, much more than I enjoyed the B&M floorless at SFNE (Batman). It's got a really good layout that differs from the norm, it's got some good forces and it looks gorgeous! One of the best looking coasters I've ever seen. 8/10.

Possessed - My first Impulse coaster, and first of 3 on the trip. This my favourite. I really enjoyed it, great fun throughout the ride, especially the holding brake on the back spike, I wasn't expecting that. 7.5/10

Steel Force - My first Morgan Hyper and really, really good. I'm a big fan of Hypers regardless so this was never going to be a bad ride for me. It's got some great drops, a lovely forceful helix and some really good airtime (although a little abrupt). These aren't as good as the B&M or Intamin Hypers but they're definitely up there with the Arrow's. 8/10

Talon - Excellent coaster. Gives a fantastic ride throughout. No dead spots, really well paced, some lovely forces through the elements and even an inverted airtime hill to top this ride off. After Banshee this was easily the Invert of the trip and the best coaster at the park from the one ride I had. Smashing! 8.5/10

We knocked off the rest of the coasters on the way around but none were really worth commenting on. Stinger was down, the ACE coaster Classic was ok, if not a little dull. I remember it being one of the better ACE classics however. The kiddy creds were no more that a +1. The only other ride we managed was the 1st generation Intamin drop tower (my first one). Obviously not as good as it's 2nd and 3rd Generation counterparts but still a good solid ride. Another ride type to tick off the list.

So, 2 hours later and Dorney Park is done. Like I said in my opening statement, I really liked Dorney. I'd really like to spend a day here in the future; Steel Force, Hydra and Talon are all very re-rideable coasters. I didn't manage to ride the rapids or the log flume and the water park looked really good fun. Definitely one of the parks I'd want to revisit, regardless of any new additions or not.

Knoebels coming up...

Darren B

Giga Poster
knoebels

After a 90 minute drive from Dorney we arrived at Knoebels. My first impressions were very positive, It looks like a park that's stuck in the 60's but in a positive way. Some really old and unique rides scattered across the park. Our first stop was the management offices where we were greeted my Richard Knoebles, son of Dick. A very pleasant chap and he immediately insisted on getting us ride wristbands, before walking us over to Flying Turns. He didn't abuse his powers and took us through the main queue line where we waited around 15 minutes to get on the ride. During that time Rick talked us through the idea behind FT and the construction period, fascinating stuff.

Before you ride Flying Turns you have to be weighed so each car isn't overloaded, and the largest riders ride at the front. Jerry & Ian took the first car, Rick, the second, and myself the third (being really skinny and all). I really enjoyed Flying Turns. It's not an amazing coaster by any means but it's great fun. It's one of those rides that leaves you smiling and laughing throughout, and knowing the history behind the ride leaves you feeling even more satisfied after riding it. Great start to the park. Rick gave us a quick backstage tour of the ride before shaking our hands and leaving us to explore the park. Great guy and very passionate about what he does, it was a pleasure to meet him.

After Flying Turns we headed off to Phoenix, one of the coasters I was really looking forward too. It was good fun, bags of floater throughout the ride and it didn't disappoint. However, it didn't give out that amazing, out of control ride that seemed to shake Ciall up so bad, and it wasn't the ride that Sue talks so highly of either. Jerry informed us that it wasn't running that well and that in optimum form would have been running 10mph faster. Oh well, I still enjoyed it so no complaints here. Ian and Jerry's went off to ride the ghost train/haunted house so I stayed on Phoenix for another ride.

Next up was the coaster/dark ride. Ian and Jerry really enjoyed it. I'm not a dark ride fan though so I found it a little meh. But still, it was a +1. Moving quickly on we knocked out the other large woodie, Twister. Every ride was a walk-on aside from Flying Turns so we were on Twister within 5 minutes. It's ok, but nothing special. I'm not particularly a fan of these 'twister' style woodies. The laterals don't really do it for me, I'm all about the airtime. Still, it wasn't awful and +1 down. Obviously we didn't bother re-riding.

After Twister we grabbed some lunch; pulled pork sandwiches all around with ice cream. The pulled pork was bland, the ice cream was lovely. Dinner down and off to Phoenix for a re-ride. Ride number 3 for me was just as good as the others and Ian certainly came to the same verdict as me, it's a really really good ride even though it's not on top form. Leaving Phoenix we head off to the tat shop to spend a small fortune. As Rick has given us wristband priced at $44 for free it was only right we spent a fair amount on tat. I managed to spend €50 dollars on a t-shirt and hoodie, Jerry bought himself a t-shirt and Ian managed to buy some AWFUL tat for the GF faffle, it's really ****! We left the tat shop and headed back to Flying Turns, the queue was a lot shorter but the ride was still just as much fun! Great little coaster. Knoebels have a real winner here.

As the end of the day neared we quickly got the last cred of the day; the vibrating bottom Tivoli suspended over a stream. It was fun, but no more that a +1.

We left the park at closing after what was a really good few hours spent at the park. Apart from the log flume I got everything I wanted to do, done. We had a quick piss and a fag before jumping into the car and headed off towards Hersheypark.

Darren B

Giga Poster
^They were lovely and clean. They also had a very friendly African man in each toilet offering out tissue paper and watered down aftershave for a small donation, all whilst shouting out such catchphrases as "No splash, No gash", "No spray, No Lay", "No Paco, No Taco", "Wash your finger for the minger".

But still, thanks for the Spam, Dan.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Dorney is definitely on my list for the next time i'm in the area, a good looking invert and a hyper can't be sniffed at and Hydra also needs to be experienced.
Knoebels i'm not so sure of, but you are convincing me that it should be done in conjunction with Dorney, and hope the Phoenix flies.

Why no water rides Floomfield?

Darren B

Giga Poster
Jerry doesn't do water rides, Ian rarely does them so it was case of me being a burden by doing them. I managed a couple over the 2 weeks so I can't complain.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Day 5 - Hersheypark

Hersheypark amazed me. It has a great skyline on approach and the parking attendant said "have a sweet day." That was cheese but made me smile. The whole place is enormous. Once you take into account the school, the factory, the park, the stadium and all the other bits, I'd probably say it's larger than my home town. I was in awe.

There's a lovely welcoming area, too. Not overwhelming or grand, just a cute entrance beautifully themed. And free wifi!

We stated with Skyrush. I really enjoyed walking alongside the lake it sits above. It looks imposing and that vibrant yellow colour is awesome. After a short 20min queue for front seats, we were going up the lift hill. The bulkiest lift hill I've ever seen.
hershey01.JPG

After my Bizarro disappointment, I wanted to enjoy Skyrush so I made sure that I sat forward a little so the restraint didn't dig into my thighs. I still think you should be able to go on any coaster and sit naturally for it to be ok but I didn't want to dislike it.

I didn't dislike it - I loved it! At several times throughout I felt like I was going to be town out. I can even forgive the violent turns and airtime because it's what made it fun. It was the first time I had ever felt vulnerable on a coaster, it felt relentless. The who ride is so well timed. I was afraid to blink. It was tremendous! Boom, straight into my top 10.

Despite my sitting position, I did get a little thigh digging but when the train is on the brake run, they pop up a few inches to relieve the pressure. Nice touch.

[tweet]http://twitter.com/ianmbell/status/476384240968683520[/tweet]

We minced towards the back of the park. We had just one day to ride all 12 (13 if you count both sides of Lightning Racer) coasters so we had to do the rides with military precision. This is where Jerry's knowledge is incredibly useful.

We did the Turd Mine Train, aka Trailblazer. It didn't set my world alight (and I didn't expect it to) but it was another ticked off. It didn't do anything but it was themed well.

Thankfully Storm Runner was next. I was just getting into Coasters when this was being constructed, so it was one of those coasters that I sort of followed, forgotten about yet was excited to ride. I had no idea of the layout or what to expect. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised. I really loved the height of the heartline roll. As we were sat front row, it sort of leared at us as we approached. It was fab. It's not a Top 10, or even top 30 coaster (for me), but it's a solid ride. So far, there was nothing at Hersheypark to disappoint me. Which is a shame, cus I'm an enthusiast and I'm supposed to find a fault with every ride.

Over to Lightning Racer. There was a two train wait for both front and back rows. Both sides were equally as good. Again, I didn't come off the ride declaring it was the best GCI with Millennium Flyer trains (I learnt some **** on this holiday thanks to Goonfield), but I left smiling. And isn't that what a coaster is supposed to do? we also met a television presenter who questioned our goontrest. Turned out he was going to the Goliath media day so we exchanged cards so he could ride it then interview me.
[tweet]http://twitter.com/ianmbell/status/476411258150068224[/tweet]

This chance encounter obviously put me on a high and in my mind, I started to believe that Hersheypark was probably the most magical place on Earth. Not one sub-par ride (we still had lots to do) and it has a brilliant atmosphere to it.

Wild Mouse and Wildcat followed. By far the two weakest coasters in the park. The wooden one (Cat) was bland and the Wild Mouse was, well, a wild mouse. Both forgettable. My opinion changed. I started to worry that Storm Runner, Lightning Racer and beloved Skyrush were the special ingredients in Hersheypark; there would be nothing sweet left to ride.

We polished off the boomerang, Sidewinder. This boo-meh-rang has different restraints, not the ear bashing ones I'm used to. Even though the ride experience (the cobra roll, loop and back again) was the the same, there was no bracing to be done. Therefore this is official THE best boomerang in the world. I wouldn't ride it again but this little change to the restraints is another reason why Hersheypark makes me touch myself in my special area.

Lunch was good. A nice roll and some "mac and cheese" put me in good stead for the afternoon. I felt like I had lapped the park several times. They also had frequent and pleasant smoking areas. Good creds, good food and good facilities for smokers. They even have a toilet marked "Gents". See, Hersheypark know a gentleman when they see one.

To let our stomachs settle down, we opted for the new-for-2014 kiddie cred, Cocoa Cruiser. As one would expect, not worth the keyboard wear & tear, so +1.
hershey03.JPG

hershey04.JPG

hershey05.JPG

We had four coasters left to tick off and plenty of time to do so. Our next one was an old "classic" woodie from the 1940. It's white and it's called Comet. It was unremarkable. Hersheypark is the best place to see how wooden coasters generally got better as technology improves. The newer the wood, the better it is. I can't think of many wooden coasters built before 1990 that are actually good in my opinion.

Sticking with the classics, we rode Sooperdooperlooper. It's an ok Schwarzkopf that I'm sure was revolutionary and amazing in it's day, but it doesn't cut the mustard compared to modern coasters. Great, it loops and has a tunnel, but my god is there a lot of straight track and pointlessness to it. One and done!

That left just two coasters. Two "big" coasters with positive reviews. Even if they turned out to be turd, we would have enough time left for a Skyrush reride.

Back row on Great Bear was our penultimate coaster to ride. I watched it a few times from the Skyrush queue line and liked the look of it. The turnyaround bit after the lift hill looked sexy as did the first drop. And yes, both of those elements were fab. The rest of it seemed to peter out by the end, especially the straightish section before the break run. I definitely preferred riding Talon the day before, but the turnyaround thing was special. It ended up being a "Great Meh" in my book.

That left just one coaster - Fahrenheit. It was by far the longest queue of the day - a whooping 40mins. If I'm honest, I don't remember specifics to it but it was enjoyable. Again, not something that really stands out but is is reridable.

We ended our day with a few more rides on Skyrush. We tried a variety of seats - back, front, inner and outer. Every ride felt great but it didn't quite live up to the wow factor of the first ride on the right outer front row. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic coaster but only really amazing at the front.

I love Hersheypark. It's a proper theme park in a gorgeous setting with more than a handful of better-than-average rides. Some exceptional. It felt great to go somewhere else than the clinical larger chain parks or the (often pretty but medicore) smaller, independent parks. Hersheypark felt like it was in a class of it's own. Despite being defined by a big brand, it's not plastic fantastic or full of advertising. It's not a bunch of mediocre rides clumped together and relying on it's name to make them great. It's sweet. It's Hersheypark.
hershey06.JPG

In the next part...
Phantom faff, it's a grower not a shower and actually good white wood!

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
Ian said:
Sticking with the classics, we rode Sooperdooperlooper. It's an ok Schwarzkopf that I'm sure was revolutionary and amazing in it's day, but it doesn't cut the mustard compared to modern coasters. Great, it loops and has a tunnel, but my god is there a lot of straight track and pointlessness to it. One and done!

Exactly how I felt when I rode Superman: Ride of Steel this summer. Bland and pointless straight tracks. But it did pack a punch though.

[tweet]http://twitter.com/ianmbell/status/476384240968683520[/tweet]

These coasters are massacring your top 10. :lol:

Great update! Keep'em coming!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ Yes, this trip made some big changes to my top 10, as one would expect when there are over 120 coasters on the menu.

I plan to post my top 10 (before and after) in my final post in this report. There's still a lot of reporting to be done before that happens!

Thanks for the comments do far.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I'm glad you loved skyrush, you've described it the same way I did. It actually tries to kill you.
Just a shame I only got 1 ride on it but that one ride was perfect, and that was in the back row. Need to get back to ride every seat possible.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Darren B said:
^They were lovely and clean. They also had a very friendly African man in each toilet offering out tissue paper and watered down aftershave for a small donation, all whilst shouting out such catchphrases as "No splash, No gash", "No spray, No Lay", "No Paco, No Taco", "Wash your finger for the minger".

But still, thanks for the Spam, Dan.

You're welcome, But somehow I don't believe you about the African man in the toilets!

Knoebels - Awesome park, shame about the bogs!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ The loos are not awful. You're wrong. The amount of water given on
the tap press was short lived but they were clean and useable.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Ian said:
^ The loos are not awful. You're wrong. The amount of water given on
the tap press was short lived but they were clean and useable.

Do they still have the huge gap, and no locks on the cubicle doors then?

anyway, I'll quit the toilet talk, and leave you to produce your logs... ;)

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Day 6 - Kennywood & Waldameer

After a quick stop at McDonalds, where the people behind the counter found mine and Darren's accents adorable, we were waiting BEHIND THE IMAGINARY LINE for Kennywood to open. There is a imaginary line set back from the turnstiles that you MUST stand behind. Two security guards insist on it. I don't remember the imaginary line from my visit in 2007.

When we were allowed to cross the imagery line and enter, we headed for Phantom. A sign outside said it was only running one train. "Kennywood on a weekday!" We waited for it to open. We waited some more. We waited a while longer. Darren went off for a cigarette. Then we waited some more. 45mins passed and the bloody thing still wasn't open, despite several tests. I took this under exposed photo and then we waited some more.
kennywald00.JPG

We gave up because we had to get to Waldermeer later on that day.

Darren and Jerry rode the indoor spinning wild mouse, Exterminator. I rode it in 2007 and don't reride spinning wild mouse coasters, even if it one of the best examples in the world. I sat and topped up my tan instead.

It was Darren's turn to sit out whilst me and Jerry rode the new-for-2014, spinning-swinging-facing-outwards-thing! Spinning-Swinging-Facing-Outwards-Thing has a fab station.
kennywald002.JPG

It spins, swings and riders face outwards, hence it's silly name, Spinning-Swinging-Facing-Outwards-Thing. Or Black Widow for short. It was ok.
kennywald003.JPG

kennywald004.JPG

Then it was Jerry's turn to sit out (do some filming) whilst me and Darren rode Thunderbolt. Arguably THE best white "classic" coaster I've been on. Great airtime, good thrills and it made me smile. I liked it!

We met back up with Jerry and rode back the kiddie coaster, Lil Phantom. We didn't feel silly at all, especially Jerry who declined to ride ;)

20 mins later we had both "sides" of Racer chewed up. Again, one of the classic coasters that I enjoy. Kennywood bucks the trend when it comes to classic woodies. these ones are actually half-decent.

Continuing with our classic coaster trend, we did Jack Rabbit. It's fab.
kennywald005.JPG

Finally, a new cred for me to get! Sky Rocket. I had seen the POV and loosely followed construction so I was quite excited about this. I kept quoting Rik Mayall, who died a few days before, in my head whilst queuing for the ride. Sky Rocket is cockney rhyming slang for pocket and in Blackadder his character says, "Am I pleased to see you, or did I just put a canoe in my pocket?" I was changing "pocket" for "Sky Rocket". You had to be there. Well, not in my head. These people looked like they were enjoying it.
kennywald007.JPG

Unlike the greatness that is Blackadder series 2-4, Sky Rocket turned out to be a damp squib like Blackadder series 1. Not even a twinge in my goon department. I didn't find it fun, ok, meh, or even slightly passable. It was sheer nothingness, like Rik Mayall's heartbeat.

I posed miserably for a photo under Phantom, which was now running.
kennywald008.JPG

It took us about 30mins to get on Phantom. It's ok. It starts brilliantly, what with that drop and the bit into the ravine, but the airtime isn't good floater. It's semi floater before it says "NEIN" and forces you down into the seat. Not even in a fab Morgan Hyper sort of way, it's just ok.

With everything ticked off, we left the park and Jerry kindly drove us to Waldameer.

There were lots of creepy statues around the place. Darren resisted bumming all of them.
RG197-Jack%20and%20Jill%20-%20Waldameer.jpg

The park has a ghetto feel to it yet some wonderful sprinkles of magic. It's a difficult place to pinpoint. It's odd.

I was excited to be riding the world's longest roller coaster, Steel Dragon. Then I remembered I travelled west from the UK, not east. And to add to the disappointment, I found out it was a spinner. Still, it wasn't made by Reverchon, so it was an mildly enjoyable +1.

Jerry excitedly pushed us towards the drop tower and I'm glad he did. Lovely view of Lake Erie, no countdown, just a quick smash to the ground. It was fab.

We rode the kiddie steel - Ravine Flyer 3 - and the kiddie woodie - Comet. Both were ok, another two boxes ticked.
kennywald009.JPG

This day had been full of acceptable to good wooden coasters, but now the big one we've been waiting for was our next call - Ravine Flyer II.

This woodie is a grower, not a shower. We rode it six times in total (including twice in the front and once in the back) and each time it thrilled me. It was great fun. The tunnel, the turns, the airtime, it was incredibly reridable. It didn't blast into my top ten or make me want to tweet wonderful things about it, but if I had to pick a coaster of the day to ride time and time again, it woudl be Ravine Flyer II. It's nice. That's the best word for it, nice.
kennywald010.JPG

It started to rain so we headed over The Rainbow Bridge of the USA and into Canada. I was chuffed to get a new stamp in my passport and Jerry was simply happy to get into Canada because he had forgotten his passport...

Kennywood and Waldameer both proved to me that not all so-called classic wooden coasters are lame. Both parks have a mild ghetto vibe to them, but they have solid rides which are worth more than a simple "one and done". I've been to Kennywood twice now and probably won't revisit for at least 10 years, or if they allow people in to set fire to Sky Rocket (a waste of steel and time). I woudl drop into Waldameer if I was passing because Ravine Flyer is nice. Although Waldameer was a new park for me, both parks made me feel like I was meeting up with an old friend for a beer in a good pub. Warming and worthwhile.

In the next part...
We visit two of the three best things to see in Canada, two Amish girls ride a monster and it's a day full of wonder!

Darren B

Giga Poster
Hersheypark

I left my phone in the car for Hersheypark so no photo's I'm afraid.

As soon as we entered the park (we went through the back entrance on Jerry's instructions) we were staring up at Skyrush. This coasters looks fantastic and so intimidating, from the drive to the park right up until we're stood underneath it. We hopped on it straight away and grabbed a front row ride to start our day. I shall give my thoughts on Skyrush later on.

Once we'd ridden Skyrush we went on a mission to knock off all the coasters, leaving ourselves enough time for multiple rides on Skyrush before leaving the park.

First up was the mine train (Trailblazer) It was boring. +1. Stormrunner was up next; I really enjoyed it. the launch is really good fun and the layout pretty spectacular for an Xcelerator. The snake dive was by far the best element of the ride.

We then headed over towards the back? of the park for the woodies. Wildcat was crap, really rough and uninspiring. I hope the other GCI's don't end up the same way. Both sides of Lightning Racer were next on the list; I really enjoyed them. They're not as good as say Thunderbird and Troy as there's little airtime to be had but still really good fun. Best woodie in the park my a mile.

I can't remember the order of the rest of the coasters because they were pretty dull, but it's something like this;

Boomerang - The best Boomerang I've been on but still ****.
Comet - White and Bland.
Sooperdooperlooper - Blue and bland.
Great Bear - The most boring B&M I've been on. Does literally nothing. Biggest disappointment of the day.
Wild Mouse - Its a wild mouse. +1.
Cocoa Cruiser - It sounds so butch and manly so imagine my disappointment when I found out this was a Zamperla kiddy coaster.

Once we'd knocked out all the +1's and had something to eat it was time for some decent coasters again. We finished off the cred run with Fahrenheit which I was expecting to be turd; It was actually really good. I was expecting something along the lines of Colossus or a Eurofighter so my expectations were low, however, it was probably the suprise of the day. A solid, smooth ride with some great elements.

So with Fahrenheit done and the end of the day nearing it was time to finish off with Skyrush!

photo_zps5022b8e4.jpg

It really is pretty spectacular. Not Expedition GeForce spectacular, but spectacular all the same. It gives out some of the most intense airtime you'll ever find on a coaster by literally trying to throw you out over every airtime hill. That's all the ride really does; but it does it so well.
And as you can imagine, it went straight into my top 10. It's a close second to Expedition GeForce in terms of my love for Intamin Mega's, but all that lets it down is the restraints and the lack of variation between airtime. But its really clear to see why there's so much love for this coaster. Hersheypark you've pulled out a winner.

Up next, Bland Kennywood and Waldermeer.

Darren B

Giga Poster
Kennywood

Kennywood was to be no more than a cred run as we had a fair drive to Waldameer. I've heard many describe Kennywood as the American Pleasure Beach, Blackpool. I can see where the similarities come into play with the classic woodies and Arrow Hyper but to me Kennywood just doesn't touch PBB. It's not a bad park by any means but it didn't particularly do anything for me. The view as you park on the hill is pretty intimidating;

facc57414161b911a90cb4b46760444a_zpsfaba515e.jpg

As we entered the park it was literally cred, cred, cred, Leave.

Phantoms Revenge was still testing so we mopped up everything else first. The old woodies were actually pretty good, Thunderbolt, Jack Rabbit and Racer were all pleasantly better than expected; but again, nothing special but good fun.

Ian and Jerry had a spin on the new spinning flat (no idea what you call them) Black Widow. Ian decided to make himself look like a twat, we of course knew what he was doing (hey, Jarrett).

f1a39fb4dca0b08ef05cca0dcbaeb4bd_zpsaa3386ed.jpg

I spent the time stood underneath Black Widow taking advantage of the breeze it was delivering, once I was bored of that I sat in the nearby smoking area and had a snout whilst taking pictures of obese people to show off to Ian.

a4bef2459599de3b5910d005c2ee59d2_zpsbb2aa1dc.jpg
Dat Ass!

Once the the majority of the creds were knocked out it was time to finish off with the 2 coasters I was most looking forward too. Sky Rocket was actually really fab, Ian wasn't a fan but I found it great fun. It doesn't do anything special but again, it's just great fun. If you don't expect to much from it you'll enjoy it.

We finished off the park on Phantoms Revenge. The first drop is really good, but the second drop is phenomenal! A 200ft drop into a valley really is something special and it delivers some lovely forces on the way back out. So far this coaster is blasting straight into my top 10, until... The second half of the ride. What a let down. What it aims to give you is lots of little pops of air time; what it actually gives you is spinal damage. Every pop of airtime is finished off with a horrible return to your seat, was this coaster re-tracked by Morgan by any chance? Yup, it was. If I'd have re-ridden with the expectancy of the nasty return to your seat I'd probably have enjoyed it more, but as it was, we had Ravine Flyer II waiting for us so it was time to get on the road.

Kennywood as a whole wasn't anything to rave about and if I was returning to the area I wouldn't bother with the park unless it had added something significant. Phantoms Revenge for all it's flaws still makes it into my top 50 due to THAT second drop.

We jumped straight into the car and headed west towards Waldermeer...

Darren B

Giga Poster
Waldermeer

We arrived at Waldermeer roughly 2 hours before closing and grabbed out wristbands. We quickly nabbed 3/4 creds and the drop tower before it was time for the main event. The excitement was really building at this point; we grabbed ourselves a drink, fag and a slash knowing full well we'd be spending the next hour on RAVINE FLYER II!

It was walk-on and stayed this way all evening. I lost count how many rides we got in but it was the most ridden coaster of the trip. So, onto the ride itself, and my days is this coaster good! Infact, it's almost perfect. The pacing is fantastic, the tunnels deliver some of the best airtime I've ever experienced, the 90 degree bank is fab; it's just such a great all round coaster and it shot straight into my top 10. Although there isn't a particularly a bad seat, it certainly rides better in the front IMO. I really fell in love with Gravity Group at this point; it was the third and final coaster of theirs on the trip and all 3 were excellent! If the new coaster in Ireland is anything like the GG coasters I've experienced it will be the best coaster in English speaking Europe.

We left the park just short of closing time and grabbed a few beers and something to eat at Smokey Bones. I wouldn't normally take a picture of my dinner but for Peeps sake I did;

e079fc56cdf197815cd0fb478dfabc8f_zps536e3c66.jpg

Chicken breast, chicken tenders, beef brisket, garlic bread, coleslaw and chips coated in bacon and cheese. Delicious stuff!

Next up - Leviathan & Behemoth.