What's new

Hyper Hybrid Hangover: US Live | June 11th, 2018 | Cedar Point

Would you be interested in a 2018 US Live?

• Yes, at a different park(s) nearby

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Interesting, thanks Tom. Sauce is just sauce, it adds to the meal rather than define it imo. Are the burnt ends sauced or dry/lightly sauced before re-smoking?

I usually find the upscale, restaurant places are a good couple of rungs lower on the taste scale from the ghetto, eat off a tray places. So far anyway. Both my fave Q places are in that style, sitting next to strangers digging into meat and sides just grunting with appreciation.

Mate, all I do when in the states is find Q places to eat, it's not uncommon for me to spend 3 nights in a row pigging out. We will only have 1 night in KC but I'm insisting we get carryout on the way down to SDC as well so I've got 2 places for sure, and Joe's is one of them, desperate to go there. The other is up for debate but my boss is from KC and swears that Q39 is the best place, and he knows his ends.

Welcome to the BBQ thread guys ;)
Respect.

The ends are dry before resmoking. I had my rehearsal dinner at Jack's and it's still talked about by all guests 5 years later. If you were heading to Texas, I could show you a few places as well, but I tend to agree with nicer places being a bit meh, but this is the exception.

In terms of sauce, I can leave most like you said, but when my in-laws ship me cases of sauce 3 times a year because I use it for everything, it's on a different level. The spicy sauce is best sauce I've ever had.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

DelPiero

Strata Poster
The ends are dry before resmoking.
So do they come out dry as well or drowned? I'm slightly concerned as they have both Pork and Sausage BE's listed on their website, never heard of that before. I'm a sucker for Beef ribs though and they seem to know what they are doing on the rib front.
I had my rehearsal dinner at Jack's and it's still talked about by all guests 5 years later. If you were heading to Texas, I could show you a few places as well, but I tend to agree with nicer places being a bit meh, but this is the exception.
Love recommendations from locals, that's how I found Smoque in Chicago, incredible food man.
In terms of sauce, I can leave most like you said, but when my in-laws ship me cases of sauce 3 times a year because I use it for everything, it's on a different level. The spicy sauce is best sauce I've ever had.
I'll snag a bottle for sure then. Have you tried Bryant's Sweet Heat? That's my go to, best sauce I've ever had. Apparently Bryant's Q isn't as good as the sauce tho, shame.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
So do they come out dry as well or drowned? I'm slightly concerned as they have both Pork and Sausage BE's listed on their website, never heard of that before. I'm a sucker for Beef ribs though and they seem to know what they are doing on the rib front.

Love recommendations from locals, that's how I found Smoque in Chicago, incredible food man.
I'll snag a bottle for sure then. Have you tried Bryant's Sweet Heat? That's my go to, best sauce I've ever had. Apparently Bryant's Q isn't as good as the sauce tho, shame.
Yeah Bryants actual food is meh. Beef BE are where it's at as you know, I don't mess with the pork or sausage. I usually do the 2 or 3 meat plate with burnt ends and brisket and beef rib if 3. Sides are phenomenal as well. I hate beans, but I will **** those up. Mac n cheese is solid as well. Sides make it all the better. The BE come out dry but melt in your mouth.

The beef ribs are good, but I actually just had the best beef rib of my life about 3 weeks ago in Austin at Terry Black's. It was 2 ****ing pounds of smoked goodness. Sorry, drooling again.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Yeah Bryants actual food is meh. Beef BE are where it's at as you know, I don't mess with the pork or sausage. I usually do the 2 or 3 meat plate with burnt ends and brisket and beef rib if 3. Sides are phenomenal as well. I hate beans, but I will :emoji_zipper_mouth: those up. Mac n cheese is solid as well. Sides make it all the better. The BE come out dry but melt in your mouth.

The beef ribs are good, but I actually just had the best beef rib of my life about 3 weeks ago in Austin at Terry Black's. It was 2 :emoji_zipper_mouth:ing pounds of smoked goodness. Sorry, drooling again.
It's sacrilege not to get at least a 2 meat platter when trying a place for the first time. Always Brisket, BEs if they have them, usually St Louis/Spare ribs. I'm a side monster, usually M&C plus Collards if they do them, Pit Beans also but I make great Pit Beans so most places are crap compared to my own creation!
If the BEs come out dry and are still tender and juicy then I'm good, if they come out bone dry or drowned in sauce they they aren't good.

Spoke to my boss, he said that the original Jacks location in Martin City is good, Jacks Abbey is the upmarket one and is a good restaurant and the Q is pretty good, definitely up there in the top 10 KC joints and would be in the discussion of great KC Q, but he doesn't rave about it.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
You in charge of food then, Tom? Cos I don't have a clue what y'all are talking about.
I lived on Denny's when I was last in the States... :eek:

davidm

Strata Poster
^ it was the CP BBQ that swung it wasn't it? See I knew my lame post wasn't that lame after all :)

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I'm half tempted to get a heated bag, go to my bbq shop, get on a plane, and bring it with just to prove you shouldn't eat CP bbq.

Now, if I made something myself, well, y'all can't handle my smoked meat.

Snoo

The Legend
Considering the best food in America is not from a big chain, I'd recommend something sexier from a local joint. My favorite of EVERY type of food is a hole in the wall or a place with 1 or 2 locations on the whole planet. :D

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
There's a really good perch place in Sandusky if you're into that. It's called The New Sandusky Fish Company. The building looks super sketchy but they sell amazing perch sandwiches and pretty good fries too, and it's only a few minutes from Cedar Point, and if you plan to eat at the place, there's a little park with an amazing view of Cedar Point! My only complaint about it though is that it can be a bit slow when a lot of people are there.

EDIT: Wouldn't be a primary choice for lunch though, as it opens at 11 AM. Probably better as an "I want to go eat somewhere close that's not McDonald's or too overpriced and still be pretty close to CP so I can go back after." It closes at 6 PM, but if you have the time I highly recommend it.

Snoo

The Legend
So who plans on rocking this out now that some time has passed and we move closer to the date?

Status
Not open for further replies.