Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Universal Studios Japan | Super Nintendo World | New land

Discussion in 'Park Construction' started by Pink Cadillac, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Pink Cadillac

Pink Cadillac Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    “SUPER NINTENDO WORLD™” is coming to Universal Studios Japan and will be the first such opening in the world*1, featuring globally renowned characters and game worlds from Nintendo. Super Nintendo World is targeted to open in time for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. While Universal Studios Japan will be the first location to open, Nintendo themed areas are also coming to Orlando and Hollywood as announced by Nintendo and Universal Parks & Resorts on November 29, 2016.
    Super Nintendo World will be comprised of expansive and multilevel environments filled with unprecedented, state-of-the-art rides*2, interactive areas, shops and restaurants, all featuring Nintendo’s most popular characters and games. Development cost at Universal Studios Japan is currently expected to exceed 50 billion Yen ($432M). Super Nintendo World will be developed mainly using the park’s current parking area and part of an area designated for future expansion. Katsuhiro Miyamoto, Professor Emeritus of Kansai University estimates that Universal Studios Japan — after opening Super Nintendo World — will bring economic benefits following its opening of approximately 6.2 trillion Yen for the Kansai region, 11.7 trillion Yen for Japan as a whole, and will create approximately 1.1 million jobs in Japan within a decade after opening*3. Universal Studios Japan will introduce the wonder of the world-class, Japan-based entertainment brand of Nintendo not only to Japan but to the world.

[​IMG]

Super Nintendo World will feature characters and themes from the “Super Mario” series, which has continued over the years to win the hearts of devoted fans around the world. The attraction area will also feature a variety of other globally popular Nintendo characters. Nintendo characters and the worlds they inhabit will be re-created at the highest level of quality through the strong partnership between Mr. Shigeru Miyamoto, Creative Fellow at Nintendo, and Mark Woodbury, President of Universal Creative, renowned for creative and technical excellence. Super Nintendo World will allow guests to fully immerse themselves and all five senses in the worlds of Nintendo, and is expected to attract guests from Japan and the world over.

*1 Based on an internal survey of Nintendo brand characters and their worlds at other parks and themed areas around the world
    *2 Based on company research of the theme parks in operation worldwide in November 2016
    *3 Announced by Kansai University (December 12, 2016)

The new land will be built using an expansion pad and land from the current parking lot.

I hope it's not just Mario

peep and Pokemaniac like this.
  2. Pokemaniac

Pokemaniac Mountain monkey Staff Member Administrator Moderator Social Media Team

I really like this idea, but I'd be interested in hearing how the heck they plan to create 1.1 million jobs just by adding a new area to an existing park.

3. Lofty

Lofty Social Media Team Staff Member Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    I'll be honest - I couldn't give a flying :emoji_zipper_mouth: about Nintendo, but, I know that Universal are gonna pull this off.

4. peep

peep Moderator Staff Member Moderator Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    This. Never really got into any of Nintendos platforms/IPs but if anyone could turn their IPs into a great theme park environment it's Universal.

5. ASteelersMidget

ASteelersMidget Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
  6. Lofty

Lofty Social Media Team Staff Member Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    The thing is, I don't particularly have an interest in the IP's, but obviously know what they are.
    The Donkey Kong Mine Coaster sounds :emoji_zipper_mouth: fab.

Ben and Temleh like this.
  7. DelPiero

DelPiero Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    I grew up with Nintendo, my Dad got me a Gameboy when they first came out and I had nearly every Nintendo console going from ages 9 -20 so this is right up my street. I have no doubt Universal will do it justice.

8. Gazza

Gazza Well-Known Member

They should include a Tetris themed drop ride.

9. ASteelersMidget

ASteelersMidget Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    The only problem being Nintendo doesn't own the rights to Tetris right now