What's new

Universal Orlando | Skull Island: Reign of Kong | Unknown

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Re: Universal Orlando | Skull Island: Reign of Kong | Unknow

^The station is outside, so the car has to drive into the building from the outside.

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster

peep said:
TheCoasterCruiser said:
Looks great!
Does anyone know exactly what this is? I'm thinking an extended immersive tunnel, but I'm kinda expecting more.
Yeah it's essentially an extended immersive tunnel with an upgraded ride vehicle and some animatronics.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Okay thank you! - I'm glad to hear it'll have animatronics as well.

I think Skull Island: Reign of Kong just might represent what the "immersive tunnel" ride type needs to be in order to work.

Lofty

CF Legend

12744148_10156502127510109_8480178415729790673_n.jpg

LOVE THIS.

peep

CF Legend

Universal have posted a great blog post with a few snippets of info and a video.

click me

The video shows off the ride vehicle, I'm very excited to do this type of attraction but in a much smaller vehicle, should really improve the experience.

Theres also another video around which is a small viral marketing series about a group of peeps going on an adventure to the island.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

DelPiero

Strata Poster

Ride Vehicle Testing

[youtubevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huQ2ML4LiMg[/youtubevid]

Lofty

CF Legend

The interior theming looks amazing!

oriolat2

Giga Poster

I have to admit that I didn't quite like the concept of a Kong-themed attraction, but now that I see the themeing and detail put into this ride, I think it will be a hit.

The huge doors leading to the main show building look really imposing, and those vehicles look like they will hold a lot of people. Hopefully this will be another high-capacity ride, just like Forbidden Journey and Escape from Gringotts are.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

I assume that that tarp is transparent and they're not driving blind round it! :lol: (Unless this is automated, but it looked manually driven in the video?)

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

^I'm 90% sure this is an autonomous ride. Why would anyone put a tarp over the windshield of a car?

Alex23

Roller Poster

Its 100% autonomous, it's on a hidden wire guidance system.

In terms of capacity the ride vehicles will have 72 people per car. Someone calculated this on OU and it was around 2000pph.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

GuyWithAStick said:
^I'm 90% sure this is an autonomous ride. Why would anyone put a tarp over the windshield of a car?
Exactly. Ok, that makes sense.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Lofty

CF Legend

If the whole 'removal of cast member from car by King Kong' happens, you can bet that the tarp is covering some form of hidden screen or mechanism like that seen on the Hogwarts Express in the doors, that create the 'shadow' of the action as opposed to expensive animatronics.

peep

CF Legend

Trucks have been unveiled and they are HUGE!

[tweet]http://twitter.com/UniversalORL/status/709734289726955522[/tweet]

I'm still getting over the fact that these 72-people carrying beasts will also be trackless <3

Dar

Hyper Poster

Not sure where it's from originally, but Danny on TST posted this write up:
The expedition vehicle for Skull Island: Reign of Kong measure over 40 feet long and 13 feet high, weighs in at 17 tons and carries up to 72 people.

But don’t let the size fool you; this truck can handle anything.

The front and back axles that support the vehicle’s 45-inch wheels can be steered individually. This lets the vehicle take sharp turns and pull off complicated maneuvers.

To immerse you even further in the story of Skull Island: Reign of Kong, we created another Universal first. This all-terrain vehicle operates on a completely trackless system.

Without a rail or guidance track in sight, you’ll work your way across the rugged island in search of your next adventure.

At the wheel will be one of five drivers, each with their own story to tell:

Becky Callahan: The loose-cannon cowgirl who isn’t fazed by the dangers awaiting her on Skull Island.
Will Denham: The fresh-faced, adventure-seeking younger cousin of famed movie director Carl Denham.
Jinks Costanza: A hardened New York City ex-con who is wary of the island’s mysteries.
Kalana: A mystical descendent of the natives who first settled on the island.
Charles “Doc” Jordan: A PhD student in paleontology who took time off from his studies to explore the world.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

I know the cars carry 72 people, but having only 5 cars is going to create some lines.

Lofty

CF Legend

Loving that this is a new 'actor led' experience, like Jaws was. Take note Disney Studios, they're not sacking a load of actors...