What's new

Universal Japan - Space Fantasy VR

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
I'm a bit gutted to be honest - I'm off to Japan in November - and one of my most anticipated rides is space fantasy at USJ. For the first half of the year they have a VR overlay for 'cool Japan' - this year it was final fantasy, but now according to Screamscape - they will be replacing the VR in July with another VR experience (the one used last year) until Jan 2019 - by which time it will get they 2019 Cool japan overlay again! and on the official website it has confirmed the ride (as 'space fantasy') is unavailable until Jan 2019

I just want to experience the ride in its pure state - enough off this VR bo**cks already! and screamscape begs the question whether it will ever return to Space fantasy! the original practical lighting effects etc looked epic! I hope it's not forever!

I also wonder if you can just be cheeky and take the VR headsets off mid-ride - and whether the lighting effects would still be on? - or they'd just turn them all off?

Matt N

CF Legend
I'm sure if you asked nicely, the staff would let you experience the ride without VR. Most parks seem to give you the option, so I don't see why USJ wouldn't.

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
I'm sure if you asked nicely, the staff would let you experience the ride without VR. Most parks seem to give you the option, so I don't see why USJ wouldn't.

The question though with and enclosed coaster - is would they still turn lighting effects on with an overlay - or have it pitch black or have safety lights all on?

peep

CF Legend
Urgh, I understand the frustration. Space Fantasy is so well themed, to be unable to experience it because of silly VR is just annoying. I also didn't realise it was VR only for so long, I thought it was just during Cool Japan.

I imagine all effects and lighting will be off so riding without VR would just be darkness and disappointing.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I had that problem around a year ago. I was really looking forward to Space Fantasy, but had to do it with crappy VR.

I think it's safe to say that there's no way the regular lighting/effects will be casually running in the background.

Oh, and the capacity is f**ked as well since they only load the front seats, meaning half of each train goes empty.

Matt N

CF Legend
Oh, and the capacity is f**ked as well since they only load the front seats, meaning half of each train goes empty.
Why do they do that? Is it because it would cause problems on the VR if people were seated backwards?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Why do they do that? Is it because it would cause problems on the VR if people were seated backwards?

That's my guess yeah. Pretty sure the spinning was disabled, so you're just left with a generic VR coaster with a s**t capacity.

Pear

Strata Poster
Well this is really disappointing. I've always wanted to do Space Fantasy in its normal state as it looked awesome. Hopefully they come to their senses soon.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
It's really not a massive deal. Universal Japan is amazing. One neutered ride really doesn't change that. I don't do lists and top tens and stuff, but if I did, it would be well into the top 5.