What's new

Underrated Amusement Parks

VF15

Roller Poster
I think most of us have been to one. There are some parks that I didn't expect much from, but when I got there, was pleasantly surprised. For example, I had a lot more fun on the coasters at the Disneyland Resort (Space Mountain, California Screamin') that I thought I would. What amusement parks are underrated in your opinion?

Darren B

Giga Poster
Familypark, Austria. The whole idea of going to this park was for +3 and nothing else, but I actually fell in love with the park. Rattenmuhle is by far and away the best family coaster I've ever ridden, it's also beautifully themed. The Mack YoungSTAR coaster is also fab, and again beautifully themed. The park is well kept, it's got a great selection of rides for all ages, the food is excellent, and so much more. It's really a park you need to visit to fully appreciate.

Drayton Manor Park. It's a park that gets a lot of hate but I thoroughly enjoy it. It's got a good selection of rides for children/teenagers and adults alike. The food and general cleanliness lets the park down, but apart from that I think it's a great little park.

Pleasure Beach, Blackpool. Easily the best park in the UK for so many reasons, the ride selection, the food, the cleanliness and the atmosphere. Such a great park.

Other notable mentions...

Brean, PowerPark (Finland), Pleasurewood Hills and Flamingo Land.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Darren B said:
Pleasure Beach, Blackpool. Easily the best park in the UK for so many reasons, the ride selection, the food, the cleanliness and the atmosphere. Such a great park.

You know something. You're 100% right. I have Alton Towers as my favourite park...I go loads of times so I know it, but if I was to say right here right now which park I'd rather go to it'd be Blackpool...there is so much there, 10 roller coasters, including the oldest in the UK, you have the flying machines which is awesome...

When I went to Drayton Manor I know that CFers (in general) weren't the biggest of fans of the park so I wanted to go in with an open mind...and apart from the sheer quantity of people and therefore massive queues I enjoyed the rides, I enjoyed the feel of the place and generally the clientele...the staff were a bit grr. If you go expecting it to be bad, like some people might, then you won't like it. It's like Air is my favourite coaster as things stand. I should think less than 0.1% of people on here would agree with that...probably 0% with a coaster count of 65 :p when I first rode it I wasn't on CF so I could make up my own mind which is an important thing to do.

^^I have no idea what that has to do with an underrated amusement park ;)

I liked Hayling Island funpark. 3 creds and it's a nice place. It was raining, the park was empty and I couldn't ride Klondike alone so 8 ride ops joined me on the coaster and it was good fun.

You never see it mentioned on here...Pleasurewood Hills only has 3 creds yet everyone wants to go. I recommend going to Hayling Island Funpark, 3 fun creds, a fun park in a really nice area. (And Darren? I wouldn't mind going back ;) )

insanecoastervids

Hyper Poster
Silverwood is a very underrated theme park it is beautiful great selection of rides and an amazing amount of room to expand another one is Six flags Discovery Kingdom great rides the Animals are awesome but the reason they are underrated is because they are so far away from other big parks.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster
Adventure Island at Southend. While it's coasters may not be world class, it has a great selection of flat rides. I went to the park in August which was the first time I visited in four years and I absoultly loved it. The staff were mostly chipper and happy. Over The Hill showed that ghost trains can still be great in this country. The overall atmosphere was great and while the side with the go karts could use a bit of a refurbishment, the park is looking quite fresh.

I would agree and say Blackpool Pleasure Beach aswell but I've never seen it as underrated nor overrated.

CoburnJason54

Roller Poster
Canobie Lake Park
It is amazing. I feel like not too many people know about it, unless if you live in New Hampshire. It only has three coasters, but all are important in some way and are really fun. It has one of my favorite woodies, the Yankee Cannonball. Absolute classic PTC. It is only 63 feet tall and 35 mph, but it is super fun and has some great airtime. The park also has a lot of flat rides, which most parks now a days are missing. It is very clean and is just fun to be at. For a park that can't built above 80 feet, it is amazing.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
I'll echo that 6FDK comment. It was one of, if not the very last 6FI park I visited, and I was blown away by how friendly the staff was, the cleanliness and the variety of wildlife, both land and sea. Probably the nicest park in the chain, even if the ride and coaster package is second tier when compared to MM, GAdv and GAm.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^With **** all there; it's s**te.

Fuji-Q has a bad reputation based on a few negative reviews, by people determined to have a **** time there, that too many sycophants cling onto.

Yes, the operations are crappy, but take that out of the equation and it's an excellent park with an amazing ride collection.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Luna Park, Sydney

While the ride selection isn't the best, it has one of the best atmospheres in a theme park I've ever seen. It felt so unique and authentic. I love boardwalks and this is certainly the most beautiful I have been too. Plus, the location and view are astounding. It is probably the most photogenic park I've seen. I mean, on one side, you have the Bridge, on the other, the Opera House. I just love the feel of the park from the entrance to the back and all its surroundings. Not to mention, that Wild Mouse <3.

I loved Blackpool, I think it gets a lot more crap than it deserves. Likewise, I love Indiana Beach for the tacky seaside feel. I guess I enjoy tacky and crammed parks to an extent because we don't have them much over here and I just find them different.

Prater Park, though the prices are extortionate, took me aback as well. I didn't think it was anything more than a little fair, but there was a lot to do and it was kind of a cute place.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
gavin said:
^With **** all there; it's s**te.

Fuji-Q has a bad reputation based on a few negative reviews, by people determined to have a **** time there, that too many sycophants cling onto.

Yes, the operations are crappy, but take that out of the equation and it's an excellent park with an amazing ride collection.

Yeah. All of this. I was just commenting how Fuji-Q shuts most of the rides if the weather isn't absolutely perfect.

I don't think the actual ride ops are that bad, rather that the park is filled with low capacity rides.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Seabreeze is underrated (and undervisited (surprise surprise I mention seabreeze)). A fun classic Woody, a well running spinner and a "Crazy house built wild mouse death trap thing". Not to mention the log flume.

I'd also say Lakemont is underrated. Leap the Dips and Skyliner are both fantastic rides and it has insanely cheap entry if you go on the right times.

Rachel

Coaster MILF
Epcot.

It was the Disney park i'd heard the least about and there arent even any particuarly outstanding rides there (apart from Test Track maybe) but I loved it, particuarly spending ages exploring the World Showcase.

10WaTT

Hyper Poster
I think Duinrell is really pretty and has a decent selection of rides, all tucked away in lots of trees. I just loved the place as soon as I walked in.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Carowinds!

It's no Cedar Point and it doesn't exactly boast any world class coasters, but I can still mostly have a good time there. Intimidator's fun, Afterburn has to be one of the best inverts in the States, and Centurion should reply put it on the map for the first time. Really fun park.

BenSullivan

Roller Poster
I certainly think Dreamworld in Australia can be underrated. While it lacks a decent B&M coaster (there are none in Australia), its friendly nature and tourist emphasis succeeds all. Great food and animal displays and shows. Yet also, its flagship ride Tower of Terror II doesn't seem to get the same emphasis as Superman Escape from Krypton at SFMM despite being of an identical nature, being of the same speed, when in fact it was Superman that got the reverse train idea from Dreamworld. Connecting onto Whitewater world as the park's neighbour also offers so much more, so all up Dreamworld is, in my opinion, a superb park that is definitely underrated on the world scale.