What's new

UK Merlin park attendance over the years

Matt N

CF Legend
@Matt N - would love to chat about some of the data you have, as I'm doing a research project into UK Theme Park attendance. Can I DM you anywhere?
You can use the Conversations feature on this very forum and start a conversation with me if you’d like to talk to me privately. To access Conversations, use the envelope in the top right hand side of the forum screen.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
I'm a little late to the party with the ULEZ discussion but aren't over 90% of cars ULEZ compliant? The scheme is designed to prevent the most polluting vehicles from entering London, and there really aren't that many of those about. There has been a lot of noise around ULEZ when it negatively impacts actually very few people.

Also as shown above, the idea that Chessington would have been specifically included is just nonsense.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I'm a little late to the party with the ULEZ discussion but aren't over 90% of cars ULEZ compliant? The scheme is designed to prevent the most polluting vehicles from entering London, and there really aren't that many of those about. There has been a lot of noise around ULEZ when it negatively impacts actually very few people.

Also as shown above, the idea that Chessington would have been specifically included is just nonsense.
The scheme catches older cars (think it's pre 2015/2016 the are not Euro 6 compliant for Diesel) and the scheme has been extended to cover more of London's poorer outskirts... Doesn't take a genius to work out that this change disproportionately affects poorer people and smaller businesses, with probably the worst timing possible. Since they're the most likely to be running older cars, it's easy to see it as another tax on the poor.

My old car is a 2015, and it's literally just the wrong side of the Euro 6 change (I have a new one arriving today ironically.) So I got stumped with two £12.50 charges just for driving into Stanmore, parking up for the weekend, and using public transport from there. For anybody that doesn't know know Stanmore, it's the Northern most point on the Jubilee line, the terminus, one of the first places you can reach, with a tube station, if travelling in on the M1 from the North. I've used Stanmore for years when visiting London, as the tube system is great for getting around, and serves Stanmore well.

The people of Stanmore make a good extra income from renting out their driveways to us folk from North of London. Probably not any more, I guess Watford would be the best place now for those with non compliant cars. Not nearly as well served by TFL, nor as convenient, but at least it's free, and does have 'some' links.

Anyway, not my point really, my point was that now poorer people, living on the outskirts, can't drive their vehicle without paying £12.50 per day. Stop taxing the poorer, hard working, folk of London, and just wait for the 10% to slowly be replaced over time as they would naturally anyway.

Matt N

CF Legend
Thorpe Park recently revealed that in 2023, they received around 1.5 million guests:
I have added this figure to the spreadsheet as 1,500,000, as even though this isn't coming from a new version of the Merlin graph (which I do hope is on its way before too long!), it is official park confirmation of guest figures.

1.5 million in 2023 is promising; that puts them on par with the pre-COVID figure from 2019!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Thorpe Park recently revealed that in 2023, they received around 1.5 million guests:
I have added this figure to the spreadsheet as 1,500,000, as even though this isn't coming from a new version of the Merlin graph (which I do hope is on its way before too long!), it is official park confirmation of guest figures.

1.5 million in 2023 is promising; that puts them on par with the pre-COVID figure from 2019!
I like this marketing video... It's very clearly going for the 'Spotify Wrapped' vibe, and absolutely nails it.