What's new

UAE PTR - Days 5+6: Dubai and Whoring

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I still had loads of holiday time left after my little Hanoi/Halong Bay jaunt, so it was finally time for me to do the UAE. There are a few reasons why I hadn’t been before, mostly down to waiting for stuff to “settle in” a bit and because I’d always planned to do it as a stopover between Hong Kong and the UK, which ended up never happening due to timing/prices/whatever.

Chinese New Year turned out to be the perfect time to go. It was hot, obviously, but far from oppressively so, so it wasn’t difficult being outside at all during the day, with the evenings being really comfortable. Also, despite a very clear push towards the CNY market, the hordes of Chinese/Korean tour groups I was expecting just weren’t there, so crowds weren’t a problem. Maybe that will change in the coming years, but it seemed that it’s just not on the radar at the moment. So yeah, anyone who hasn’t been: February is a very good choice.

One major annoyance with this trip is that Dubai is now basic as f**k for enthusiasts, and soooo many dreadful cretins have already been. For that reason, I didn’t take massive amounts of pictures since so many basic bitches have done that already.

My flight got in quite late, but not too bad. I was staying at a friend’s place near Dubai Mall/Burj Khalifa, but he was out of town for a couple of days, so I just collected his keys from the concierge and had the place to myself. Excellent.

Day 1

I started off with a park I had little to no interest in, but with combo tickets and stuff (and creds, obviously creds), I couldn’t bring myself to skip it. I got there for opening anyway.

Legoland

Ugh. Seriously, ugh. After Nagoya last year, I’d sworn off these places. The new ones are all the same, with copy/paste rubbish and stupidly overpriced entry prices. The Riverland area, the equivalent of a Downtown Disney or Universal Citywalk area was nice, but nothing was open that early.

BviP2yl.jpg

9DR5d2p.jpg

kf5fLd3.jpg

WdqoZhF.jpg

QkrIusc.jpg

I’ll just chuck in the Miniland photos. To be fair the Lego Burj Khalifa was amazing, and I liked the row of world’s tallest buildings as well.

BkHDmGF.jpg

s1MDjOX.jpg

hou3mTI.jpg

iZ3eEun.jpg

gqCDU9M.jpg

1h4Ocxe.jpg

pAvxWyx.jpg

Ea15ssQ.jpg

8P3Thp9.jpg

FlQpdY2.jpg

UIWlWwt.jpg

Copy/Paste, Copy/Paste, Copy/Paste…

j2YfLAb.jpg

FKki62W.jpg

RLMPUd8.jpg

Rfc3pmY.jpg

AyopzPe.jpg

RQySHDq.jpg

NXo4vh3.jpg

q8nKnor.jpg

Qtj13Sn.jpg

oJiCYx2.jpg

DoGlevV.jpg

The place was empty, which isn’t surprising given it had just opened, but it was weird to only see about 10 other people, if that, in the whole place.

Second time I’ve seen this live show (here and Nagoya) and the second time it hasn’t been running. With Nagoya, the park had only been open a few days, so I’d guessed it just wasn’t ready. That might be the case here, but I’m more inclined to think it’s down to visitor numbers.

9oqZrHN.jpg

End on a positive:

6BRduVZ.jpg

AwZk5nx.jpg

So yeah, Legolands can still just f**k right off. I think that must’ve been the most expensive hour I’ve ever spent at a park.

I bypassed Bollywood Park (I don’t think it was open until later anyway) to do later and got to Motiongate shortly after opening.

Motiongate

cP4eGU5.jpg

mdWbNuc.jpg

fhCmfNJ.jpg

Headed straight for Capital Bullet Train first. The area was ok, but maybe I was expecting a little more. The coaster was fun. Out of this and Star Trek at Movie Park – a very, very similar ride – I preferred Star Trek, but this was decent enough and very rerideable. Obviously, it was walk-on.

xo8PHu4.jpg

q9YXM9o.jpg

qFktxq5.jpg

g2Xvd0O.jpg

d7thZhg.jpg

RMYzMPp.jpg

O4covU6.jpg

I wasn’t to be hanging around late enough for whatever show was in here, so no idea:

W20aPou.jpg

The indoor Dreamworks are was fab, definitely up there with my favourite indoor areas. It’s difficult/impossible to take pictures of the rides though.

HxqGrqI.jpg

cqjIJHb.jpg

The Shrek ride wasn’t open until 2pm, so I got it later, but I LOVED it. I just thought the whole premise of it (a puppet show which you go “inside”) was very clever and well thought-out.

7QCOcf9.jpg

Pictures don’t do it justice, but the How to Train Your Dragon area was lovely, my favourite in the whole park actually. Dragon Gliders was also fantastic. It’s the first of this ride type I’ve done, and it went way beyond what I was expecting. It’s part dark ride, part coaster, with a combination of screens and animatronics. The highlight is at the end when you fly out of the ride and over/around the How to Train Your Dragon area. I don’t use this word, but I actually found it quite magical.

I8Ol7oN.jpg

szLllQ8.jpg

dRdlzKg.jpg

sWSLo7X.jpg

P2LHF2d.jpg

Madagascar Mad Pursuit was a massive surprise. I haven’t been keeping up with openings/construction, so I didn’t know what it was. I went in expecting a kiddy coaster, but it’s the most intense thing in the park.

GKztLiw.jpg

2v2Qtll.jpg

kEHAsYt.jpg

The Kung Fu Panda area was lovely. The main ride, however, was f**king s**te. It’s just one of those very old style simulator/theatre things with one screen and multiple motion platforms all facing it, like something Universal were pushing out in the ‘90s. Very disappointing.

Sv24LuC.jpg

cjKQz1l.jpg

wDOwWGH.jpg

UL6DQcw.jpg

UL6DQcw.jpg

AQqR89K.jpg

Back outside and into the kiddy area, themed to The Smurfs. A generic coaster and a very simple dark ride. Meh.

u7vSLZt.jpg

uR2QW5o.jpg

SZU6VgO.jpg

The final outdoor area was the most substantial, with a lot crammed in. The coaster was crap though. I usually like these Gerstlauer bobsleds, but this is the weakest of the 7 I’ve done now. It’s very plonked as well. It could’ve been so much better as an indoor, themed coaster.

Zx2rqXS.jpg

Hotel Transylvania was the most impressive looking ride from the outside, and the ride itself was decent enough, though I was expecting more. I noticed that a lot of parks in the area have “trackless” dark rides that aren’t really trackless. There’s a very clear slot in the floor that the cars are all connected to. I don’t know who makes the system, but it was very common across the various parks. Yeah, technically, they’re “trackless” since they don’t run on any rail, but it’s all a bit of a cheat for me.

The shot/drop tower was decent – the smaller ones often are – and the rapids were fun and not too wet. Underworld was slightly better than most 4D theatres – I liked the more adult theme of it – but they’re still a crap, overused attraction type. Ghostbusters was ok, but, like Hotel Transylvania, promised more from the outside than it delivered.

E7lnJNa.jpg

JAfiHJh.jpg

dEs43iu.jpg

3wyf2XX.jpg

upHenFY.jpg

5JcUop7.jpg

YY6C2ht.jpg

tZaCaLf.jpg

My issue with dark rides here, and across other parks in the area as well, was that there’s no attempt to hide ducts/pipes/lighting rigs etc. Most/all of them have impressive sets at eye level, but if you look up even slightly all illusion is completely broken.

I’ve just been reading this back and realising how negative I’ve been, but I actually liked Motiongate a lot. It’s obvious that a lot of money and effort has gone into the place, and there are some excellent attractions, the highlights, for me, being Capital Bullet Train, Dragon Gliders, Madagascar and Shrek. It’s difficult to judge operations since it was dead, but everything seemed to be running really well.

I was out of there by midafternoon, stopping off for a traditional Emirati burrito on the way to the final park of the day.

Bollywood Park

No creds here, but I was curious to see it. Oh dear.

First off, it does look lovely and is a very pleasant place to walk around.

kl3loSb.jpg

r5pmV59.jpg

99u8HgQ.jpg

0PDgof5.jpg

qYDGuf0.jpg

64wM6wt.jpg

The attractions are mostly s**te though. I honestly can’t remember which one’s which now and can’t be arsed to look them up, but the shooter was ok. The rest of the stuff wwas just different versions of the poorer rides at Motiongate, so you’ve just got a rethemed version of the dreadful Kung Fu Panda attraction etc.

4PQ2oa9.jpg

DnoCdpV.jpg

YfHb1Fw.jpg

X3RITWo.jpg

HIcmYdI.jpg

wfFzZLC.jpg

h0awNCS.jpg

sNmk6Us.jpg

lNrwbqw.jpg

lSV2Tiy.jpg

I was herded into one of the shows by an enthusiastic cast member and immediately regretted it sinvce I could see right away what it was. It was one of those f**king awful things where they shove guests in front of a green screen to “make a film” which you see at the end and is “hilarious”. Think the preshow of Universal’s “Disaster”, but without a ride at the end. Half an hour of F**king s**te that you can’t do a runner from.

Another show was better. The premise is an “X-Factor” style TV show being filmed, only it’s a dance contest. The audience vote for who goes through to the next round etc. I kind of felt bad for the performers since there was only a very small, unenthusiastic audience in a very large theatre, so it was all a bit awkward.

I’ll finish off there, but Bollywood was a big disappointment which had a lot of potential; it’s all just incredibly dated for a brand new park; they’ve really missed a trick with that one.

So:

Legoland – Nope, sick of them. Overpriced rubbish, even if you happen to be the target audience.

Motiongate – Great park. Plenty to do, some very high-quality attractions and lots of uniqueness.

Bollywood – what a shame.

I finished up the day by heading to the area around the Burj Khalifa, eating dinner at a very high-end restaurant with an amazing view. Just going to do a picture dump since it’s the end of the work day and I don’t want to do this on my own time.

XgxSWns.jpg

CvB6LEP.jpg

KBfzIn9.jpg

jlJYW7L.jpg

Een8sD1.jpg

3vIIcXe.jpg

PypXNgI.jpg

DvbST5e.jpg

G131OzK.jpg

XacxCFf.jpg

iMq7LD5.jpg

2AMuk8U.jpg

g42C21e.jpg

TU8nj7z.jpg

yL215aT.jpg

End of Day 1.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I purposefully avoided Legoland as I just can't stand them any more. Would have done Bollywood if I'd had time so kind of glad I didn't bother now, thanks.

Motiongate is a nice park - it's just so weird seeing somewhere like that with so few guests. The lack of atmosphere really killed it. Dragon Riders is much better than Arthur in my opinion (although I might be bias as I like the IP). It's all about that final scene though where Hiccup is 'riding' Toothless XD.

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I got spited by Motiongate by only a few days, so I'm always really salty about it. :p

Looks pretty good, to be honest. I don't really see myself going back anytime soon, but I would like to visit. Some of the indoor sections looks incredible.

Dubaidave

Hyper Poster
Funnily enough. The green hornet coaster was supposed to be indoors but due to budget cuts they didn’t enclose it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dubaidave

Hyper Poster
Bollywood is ok. It’s worth seeing I would say but prob not worth going more than on e or for more than a. Couple of hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Yeah, I'd never suggest that anybody should NOT try something just because I didn't get a lot from it personally. I always make sure to try stuff for myself and have often found people to be "wrong", so I'd definitely still give it a go since it's right there anyway.

Day 2 was another day of seeing nothing of the city and getting creds, just as it should be, but this day I wasn’t alone, meeting up with the fabulous Dubai Dave. We met up at one of the UAE’s 5,386 shopping malls for a cred which had just popped up very recently, so it was a +1 for Dave as well.

Magic Planet

Behold!

0SMwkQc.jpg

1NnJfqk.jpg

7IcnQhV.jpg

After that, it was in the car to a much less substantial park, arriving just before opening.

IMG Worlds of Adventure

I didn’t take many pictures here, mostly because I was with someone else – I tend to take more when I’m by myself to give myself a bit more to do – but also because the nature of indoor parks makes it quite difficult to get decent pictures anyway.

LIHh8HP.jpg

There seemed to be a lot of people waiting to get in – mostly school groups - but they dispersed quickly and left early, leaving the place empty, so it wasn’t an issue. The opening show was a (lackluster) Chinese lion dance, so that made me feel right at home.

jTMVsGf.jpg

Did the spinner first, which is listed as a “Sierra Sidenwinder” layout, but once you enclose and theme it that’s no noticeable in the slightest. Decent enough.

TYDfHSl.jpg

TAnTlSm.jpg

Qn3jEAg.jpg

The Avengers dark ride was excellent, but if I’m honest I’m getting sick of the general premise of these superhero dark rides now – the whole “new recruit” crap that they all f**king use. BORED.

hwYOnnI.jpg

lhDXS2A.jpg

TanLVVw.jpg

Just going to throw in some general pictures.

vcIazWT.jpg

TwvBR0z.jpg

O0fWGA2.jpg

ra1AbbB.jpg

0iDUAnr.jpg

m5CLTGf.jpg

HTi5lOG.jpg

KRCaFYg.jpg

Predator was fine. It’s the basic “Rage” model, but seemed more substantial thanks to being indoors. The whole dinosaur area was really nice.

PbDSk60.jpg

0WH6kCn.jpg

jAj3MtT.jpg

No pictures of the actual cred (though you can see it from the car park/drive in), but it’s a Blue Fire clone.

DQ5kzgk.jpg

I really like this model and don’t get the dislike for it from a lot of people, so this was easily the highlight of the park for me, despite riding it “blind” for the first time because of getting launched from darkness into bright sunshine. They’re smooth, rerideable, and there IS intensity in the layout, especially in the back rows. I think people get too focused/worked up about the strength of launches and discount anything with a weaker launch as a bad coaster, which is unfair really since, for many coasters now, the launch isn’t the focus of the ride; it’s merely a method to get the coaster to the required speed for the rest of the layout. Whatever.

Some thoughts on some of the other rides – sorry for the lack of pictures.

The Hulk thing was interesting (look it up if you’re bothered) as a prototype/world’s first, but I found it quite nauseating and a bit overlong. The film is yet another, “new recruits” type of affair as well.

The suspended monorail/dark ride thing seemed like a missed opportunity for something decent; it all felt a bit empty and parts of it were broken. It didn’t help that I had no knowledge of the characters used, but that’s on me.

The shooter was very good, not much more to say really.

The Ben 10 4D (sorry 5D, whatever) cinema was an excellent example of the attraction type, but it’s still just a 4D cinema. I found the whole “new recruit” storyline a breath of fresh air anyway.

Dinosaur dark ride thing. A mixed bag. It looked like it "should" be an Indiana Jones/Dinosaur type ride system, but it's more like a Spiderman/Transformers type, only with physical sets instead of screens - well, mostly - which I found quite jarring really and it didn't have the "real" feel of a jeep at all. There were some decent enough sets and animatronics in there, but then it goes a bit to s**t at the end with screens.

The highlight for me, after Velociraptor, was Haunted Hotel, a walkthrough with actors.

2qf3sLg.jpg

OVN47qB.jpg

It was surprisingly short given the enormous façade, but the sets were all very detailed and the whole thing was very atmospheric, which I prefer to jump scares/gore etc.

Overall then, I liked this place, but there seem to be quite a few missed opportunities, the first being that it doesn’t do a great deal with its height. It’s quite a tall building, but the attractions are, apart from the monorail thing, all at ground level. When you look at something like Lotte World, which has stuff spread over a number of levels and uses its limited space very cleverly, there seems to be a lot of “wasted” space at IMG, both vertically and at ground level. Having said that, they obviously have outward expansion space beyond the walls of the current building, so can afford to spread things out I guess.

Oh, the food here was exceptional. I rarely comment on food since I usually don’t even bother with s**ty, overpriced park rubbish, but we had plenty of time to kill and I’d got a “free” lunch included with my admission. There are a stupid number of options – perhaps too many really given the size of the place and guest numbers - but we went to an Indian buffet (Spice Valley?) in the dinosaur area since it was the one included in my ticket. Even without that inclusion, it was cheap, around a tenner, and really decent quality, not “park” food at all. Just out of interest, I’ve done a quick check and by my reckoning, there are 15 sit-down restaurants and 14 food trucks. Ridiculous really.

Too much writing…

Global Village

This place, on paper, is very close to IMG. If I’d been by myself, I’d planned to walk it, but knowing what I know now that would’ve meant a desert trek since there’s no actual direct connections. Google maps actually puts it as a 20-minute drive, but we did a “detour” across some sand for a couple of minutes, which I’m now counting as my desert safari cred.

This place was much bigger than I’d expected, and felt a lot more substantial. I was expecting, essentially, market/food stalls with a few rides, which it is, but the level of theming around the different “countries” was on fairly grand scale.

pOs9I0N.jpg

j9tO2mX.jpg

VYVvzUy.jpg

u7W0lsD.jpg

P5K66YB.jpg

7IRrAkc.jpg

2cTTOZp.jpg

h4Hr790.jpg

The rides area is very much just a plonked fairground at the moment though, but there are two creds, one of which had popped up after I’d planned this trip, so that was a nice bonus. +2 for Dave as well, which made the babysitting more worthwhile.

ZpDiwB8.jpg

fJkRJyI.jpg

Iw7kaY5.jpg

wzcLT0g.jpg

ameYxYP.jpg

2gIW3gv.jpg

EOWeBL4.jpg

4Bcbp2F.jpg

I’ll just throw in some pictures from the way out. We’d got there for opening at 4pm, so it wasn’t too busy, but apparently this place gets rammed in the evenings. The car park had already filled up loads by the time we left around an hour later.

D5m69Xg.jpg

38NW6Dc.jpg

waQyqvP.jpg

EFfGosx.jpg

2ItM5Rb.jpg

xyYFU9S.jpg

YYhPYze.jpg

v9P61p6.jpg

G3hkkIL.jpg

PlAOBbK.jpg

Interesting place which would probably warrant more of a wander within the different “countries” areas, but I was keen to get on my way fairly quickly really since I was heading to Abu Dhabi that evening. I’d allowed loads of time – the buses run regularly until around midnight – but was happy to get there at a decent time and relax in the hotel for a bit.

Abu Dhabi will be next then.

Last edited:

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I really should read more of your trip reports Gav' - they're dead good. It's just ... well, you keep going to places I've never heard of.
But yes, great pictures, fascinating destinations, no boring waffle, yadda yadda yadda. Thanks for sharing, man.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Next part then. I got to Abu Dhabi earlier than I thought I would, but didn’t do anything that evening. I stayed in a hotel near the main bus station, figuring that it was the best option since I was getting between Dubai and Abu Dhabi by bus. I’d also planned to get a bus from there to Yas Island in the morning, but sacked that off and got a taxi.

Ferrari World

I felt so incredibly depressed showing up here when every basic bitch has the place already. This was by far the busiest park of the trip, but was still very, very manageable. I headed straight for Formula Rossa obviously.

276w1ty.jpg

pNj4vW2.jpg

I liked this a lot, and it was great that it had a substantial layout after the launch, but the immediate trims were a disappointment despite knowing they were a thing. It still hauls arse for the rest of the layout though. I didn’t get a lot of airtime from it though, even on the final hills which looked like that should have had more.

I really liked the viewing platform idea here.

xddeqUU.jpg

e8ZxEZ1.jpg

R93LHJD.jpg

PCYSa0y.jpg

oOpXY2p.jpg

I still need Takabisha for the steepest record, so I’ll have to make to for now with only having the tallest, fastest and longest.

This thing is still just an elaborate ornament.

XPgz8m1.jpg

Turbo Track was a bit gash really. Crappy throughput and rather bland experience. It’s a good use of space though; I’ll give it that.

34rzEDX.jpg

U919St8.jpg

2SuU6gv.jpg

PqWjoiQ.jpg

The woman out front was turning people away. Such cred anxiety!

iiCpoPk.jpg

Went to this instead, expecting it to be s**t since it gets no love whatsoever.

lJ1EUHn.jpg

Cc22Ln3.jpg

cjQERCV.jpg

What’s wrong with people; it’s fab for a family coaster! Sure, it’s not tall or fast, but I thought it was decent fun and had a much more substantial layout than I was expecting. It was popular as well, which meant some of the longest waits of the day, which wasn’t helped by one-train operations. Just reminded myself to have a moan about that at the end.

Theming:

tTi9rlc.jpg

rwBhYMU.jpg

Flying Aces was open by this point, thank f**k. The queue line was amazing, totally out of character with the rest of the coasters which had no theming at all.

CbbCdJd.jpg

K2UMie1.jpg

VkijoYP.jpg

3HSA3CV.jpg

I loved this ride. It’s by far the best thing in the park for me. I haven’t got Skyrush because I’m too basic, so I can’t make any comparison there, but I thought this was great.

What I especially liked is that most first-time riders had NO idea what it actually was. This made for a bit of faff – I noticed a lot of faff at this park with guests no knowing what the f**k they were doing – but a lot of fun to see/hear people’s reactions when the train left the station and they saw that they’d just sat down on a massive coaster.

s2TunnE.jpg

gqjRqcY.jpg

154cNKf.jpg

UxNB2Z4.jpg

BH5bS73.jpg

Yes, there’s another viewing platform here, but it’s much more hidden than Rossa’s from a non-rider perspective. You notice it as you’re leaving the ride, but it could easily be missed otherwise.

BinaUrH.jpg

gYBA3hn.jpg

9fBbNll.jpg

yXtWIzu.jpg

7feK8dz.jpg

bcWRLz7.jpg

Anyway, great ride.

I did a couple of rerides each on Rossa and Flying Aces and then polished off the dark rides. The shooter-type thing (not exactly a shooter) was quite fab, but the 4D dark ride was a bit crap and the flying theatre was f**king terrible.

c6ZG4xh.jpg

fopKYeI.jpg

EuqQHV6.jpg

I had a combo ticket for the water park, which was closing in a couple of hours, so headed across there with the intention of just grabbing the cred and coming back to Ferrari World, but I didn’t go back in the end, so I’ll do a quick summing up here.

It’s a great park with two very obvious highlights in Formula Rossa and Flying Aces, and a very decent family coaster in that GT Challenge thing. I might have been spoilt by close to empty parks previously, but I found the operations to be a bit poor. It was quite busy, but everything was on one-train operations, meaning 30-minute queues for everything. Well, the coasters at least. The dark rides were walk-on. Obviously, 30 minutes is fine, but when queues are visibly quite long, they should’ve really shoved a second train on. Information signs were grossly wrong as well. My second ride on Flying Aces had a “5 minute” queue according to the sign out front. Try closer to 40. Obviously, those signs are only meant to be an indication, but to have it so massively out was irritating and doesn’t need to happen.

Yas Waterworld

Have a picture of the entrance and one of Warner Brothers nearby.

4isqdGK.jpg

6QvhlL0.jpg

No pictures from inside the place obviously, but the coaster was pretty decent and much longer than I was expecting. I decided to do a bunch of the slides as well, figuring that it would be a very expensive cred otherwise. The park was open for another couple of hours, then I could have had a final couple of hours at Ferrari World if I wanted, but I ended up not bothering.

I don’t “do” water parks, but maybe I should make a bit of an effort since I actually enjoyed myself. Everything was walk on, so I did pretty much everything. It was the first time for me to do one of those ridiculous “vertical” slide things, and one of those things with a capsule that drops you into an inclined loop. All quite fab.

I’d got a shuttle bus over, but walked back to the mall. You can get a decent view of Flying Aces.

0TqNUmj.jpg

I’d originally planned to get the shopping mall cred before Ferrari World opened since the bus I was going to use would’ve got me there with time to kill, but since I’d got a taxi, I’d just gone straight into the main park.

Yas Mall Cred

Tada!

PjD2S0D.jpg

gyiExZE.jpg

SJd3abY.jpg

JMtchKP.jpg

Taxi back to the hotel after that followed by a tourist day, so you’ve got that coming next, you cultureless plebs.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
You haven't told us how good Yolo Coaster was? That's the most hotly anticipated review of all!

Looking forward to seeing the culture day. :)

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Yeah, I'd never suggest that anybody should NOT try something just because I didn't get a lot from it personally. I always make sure to try stuff for myself and have often found people to be "wrong", so I'd definitely still give it a go since it's right there anyway.
Wasn't particularly basing that on your (esteemed) opinion, but rather the hardware facts.
Gone from 'a couple of good dark rides mate' to '45 minutes of taking part in X factor' (which is probably Thorpe's next investment).
Not being serious anyway, it's in the bundle.

Having never done a water park before and having been misinformed about the one in Australia, how faffy is the whole "doing" water parks for the cred procedure?

Not looking forward to seeing the culture day ;)

Edit: Happy Birthday?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
You haven't told us how good Yolo Coaster was? That's the most hotly anticipated review of all!

It very much just was.

Having never done a water park before and having been misinformed about the one in Australia, how faffy is the whole "doing" water parks for the cred procedure?

I've done three now: Sunway Lagoon, Wet'n'Wild and now Yas. With Sunway Lagoon and Yas, I treated them as waterparks - got changed into swimwwear, clothes in locker etc.

However, with Yas, I don't see any reason why you couldn't just leave your shoes and socks in one of the little holes and just get the cred and leave. The only issue is that the seats might be wet. Yas was annoying in that even though you've paid to get in, you then have to pay again to rent a locker (not necessary if you just wanted to leave your shoes), which I thought was a bit of a piss take really, but not sure how that usually works since I don't generally do water parks. Like, what else are you supposed to do with your stuff? Oh, and I "rented" a towel which I then took with me since the price was f**king extortionate.

What problem did you have with Wet'n'Wild? I went over there shortly before closing, asked if the roller coaster was running since I wasn't going to waste the money if not, and the girl at the gate just let me in for free to grab it.

Edit: Happy Birthday?

Thanks!

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
What problem did you have with Wet'n'Wild?
No problem, just got told that they had stupid restrictions and it wasn't worth the hassle (but a 200 mile round trip and 30 quid for a wacky worm was).
Only looked it up myself in hindsight to find that not to be the case.
Bad goon.

Gazza

Giga Poster
Yeah wet n wild wouldn't you just get the 3 park ticket and grabthecred.

Dunno why Enthusiasts skip water parks, slides have airtime n **** these days, and can feel more out of control than some dry rides.

At Yas, how was Dawamma (The LSM slide into the Tornado)....i love in POVs how there is dramatic music in each of the enclosed sections.

At Bollywood, was the Mr India one a clone of the simulator at Adlabs where you are basically in a battle above an amusement park?

Last edited:

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Dunno why Enthusiasts skip water parks, slides have airtime n :emoji_poop: these days, and can feel more out of control than some dry rides.

True. Maybe it's the faff involved with changing of clothes, having to bring more s**t with you etc.

At Yas, how was Dawamma (The LSM slide into the Tornado)....i love in POVs how there is dramatic music in each of the enclosed sections.

That was the only thing that was closed unfortunately. The other big, multi-person slide in the same area (Falcon something?) was a lot of fun though.

At Bollywood, was the Mr India one a clone of the simulator at Adlabs where you are basically in a battle above an amusement park?

Nope. From what I remember, the amusement park in Mr India at Adlabs Imagica actually IS Adlabs Imagica? I seem to remember the "car" following the track of Nitro at some point. There's no Mr. India ride at Bollywood at all, just some film posters as general theming.

Next part of the report then.

I had a full day in Abu Dhabi to make an effort to see some s**t, planning to just get a bus back to Dubai whenever I was ready. First up was the Grand Mosque, which was fab. It was kind of busy, but totally manageable, and the whole visiting experience is organised very well. It’s free, including the audio guide which I wouldn’t usually bother with otherwise.

Oh, to get the audio guide, you have to leave ID as a deposit, but they can’t take passports as it’s apparently illegal to hold them. Fine for me since I could just leave my Hong Kong ID card, but it seemed to cause a bit of frustration with some other people. It’s only for the guide though; you don’t need any ID to just walk around.

Grand Mosque

Have a bunch of repetitive pictures:

BsFxe4r.jpg

0yKLYrT.jpg

6dENFfs.jpg

X8P2fmb.jpg

IeQ3QrM.jpg

Cs7Px7l.jpg

Zv8xyMS.jpg

QnyBfw8.jpg

Fq0Ti7z.jpg

4Mts4yo.jpg

q7yyCWf.jpg

The inside is also very impressive.

ETl7dBT.jpg

xsMg2ww.jpg

6v4LUpd.jpg

e5xtf7B.jpg

OZCDjub.jpg

Some more:

ma53zSW.jpg

SAZeLWR.jpg

74m2Zku.jpg

vc7U0n8.jpg

pJagfmx.jpg

kyXTvNN.jpg

9x8EUdB.jpg

Yep, definitely worth a visit and doesn’t take too long to see, though I imagine if you pressed every link on the audio guide and took your time about, you could easily fill a good couple of hours. I had a cred to get though, so bollocks to culture.

Sparky’s

Tada!

J9eqeZ4.jpg

H57or0E.jpg

pRhdM9R.jpg

KdFVt2w.jpg

I walked from there up to the “Corniche” area, which is just a beach really.

Qbjf58W.jpg

YOfWS4F.jpg

5d9mn5F.jpg

y9jvMpk.jpg

Then got a taxi to The Louvre, which is very new.

Louvre Abu Dhabi

This place is best known recently for having bought the world’s most expensive painting, DaVinci’s Salvator Mundi, for $430.3 million, but it’s annoyingly not on display yet.

Nh2Ux5m.jpg

dbBMbII.jpg

3BbHxGV.jpg

The whole thing is quite ridiculous really. It’s not really a “Louvre” museum, they’ve just paid $525 million to rent the name for 30 years, a further $215 million for management, and $247 million to “loan” (surely that should be “rent”) a bunch of artwork from various French museums over the next ten years. A billion US dollars! Think of the creds they could’ve got!

It’s a decent enough gallery, but the building is more impressive than the collection at this point. The work is organised chronologically, so you’ll get medieval Islamic art next to Western art from the same period etc., which is different from the usual set up of grouping stuff together based on where it came from.

However, part of this “innovative” way of displaying things has to be down to, at least in part, a lack of work to display. A major European or American museum will have whole rooms dedicated to an artistic movement, or even an individual artist, but this place just doesn’t have the collection for that.

They’ve essentially got one piece from pretty much every artist you’ve ever heard of, and they’re excellent examples, but it all seems a bit desperate, especially since the majority of those pieces are just on temporary loan. Don’t get me wrong, it’s well worth a visit if you’ve got a couple of hours to kill, but maybe I’ve just been spoiled with European and American museums that offer a lot more. I guess one good thing is that you don’t feel overwhelmed by the whole thing and suffer from “museum fatigue”.

UPK9Gsk.jpg

FPoZunO.jpg

CSUQMsQ.jpg

y7TxRmr.jpg

fOuzh4k.jpg

DQYqcoD.jpg

ICf5EzW.jpg

yNrxel8.jpg

lsHFEzN.jpg

Vohgab1.jpg

The building itself is gorgeous.

0p15Uxv.jpg

dygS6xN.jpg

WSaET9x.jpg

I9PQmVq.jpg

PPdkr9q.jpg

hIs99WX.jpg

From there it was a taxi back to the hotel to brag my bag and walk across to the bus station to get back to Dubai. More culture in the next bit before finishing off with creds.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Yeah wet n wild wouldn't you just get the 3 park ticket and grabthecred.

Dunno why Enthusiasts skip water parks, slides have airtime n :emoji_poop: these days, and can feel more out of control than some dry rides.

I like to do water parks, but I'll always favor a theme park if I go travelling. Saying this, Wet'n'Wild was probably one of the worst ones I've been to. Half of the stuff was f*cked (including the coaster) and the stuff that was open was operating at the lowest capacity possible, despite there being quite a few crowds around. I'd say okay, it was low season, but the water park just up the road (White Water World) was operating all of their slides the day before...

On the topic of Dawamma, is that even open? It was down for quite some time, but I haven't checked since last Summer.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Yeah wet n wild wouldn't you just get the 3 park ticket
Oh we had that, might be the worst part.
Enough derailing anyway.

Some great pictures of the Mosque in there, might actually bother with some culture depending on how hideous the weather is.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Think of the creds they could’ve got!
If only there was a GoFundMe they could donate to, as well... ;)

Some great pictures of the Mosque in there, might actually bother with some culture depending on how hideous the weather is.
The Mosque is well worth a visit - even in the heat. My first visit was about 4pm in August, pretty much as bad as it gets, and I still had an amazing time. It's a very impressive building, and very unlike any other religious building I've been in. It's equally as impressive at night too, so maybe that will help if you can't handle the heat. :p

The Louvre wasn't finished by the time I left, but it always looked pretty impressive driving by it on the motorway. It looks great inside! Thanks for another good section! :D

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
ForgotI hadn’t finished this, so here it is.

Day 5 – Dubai Tourist S**te

The friend whose apartment I was abusing was actually home when I got back from Abu Dhabi, so I thought it was only polite to actually hang around together for the day, starting with some beach area and walking down to the Burj Al Arab. The whole area was pretty cool, and had a bit of a “California” vibe (ignoring the mosque) which I wasn’t expecting.

zuu9P7k.jpg

Ev2er63.jpg

k1Y76Qj.jpg

qcuPuIq.jpg

6CuC8yl.jpg

Ar19USo.jpg

Taxi from there to Dubai Marina:

qBwtnfN.jpg

CdAUKB8.jpg

EV81V5J.jpg

hPNDPiX.jpg

4NBgAVg.jpg

Aojmv0I.jpg

All quite fabulous. World’s biggest (because of course) Ferris wheel on the way:

ecvYuwP.jpg

iwFsoMX.jpg

And then back to the Burj Khalifa/Dubai Mall. It doesn’t seem like it from this less than in-depth report, but we’d been out all day.

uhwizLh.jpg

BPSotQX.jpg

VVBZaHg.jpg

Then it was drinks at home, drinks at another friend’s place and then ludicrously expensive drinks at some club.

Day 6 – Last Day

This was a day to mop up some mall creds before heading to the airport in the afternoon. I may get a few of these places wrong/mixed up, but whatever.

Started off with Sparky’s at Al Ghurair Centre:

E9oUYsV.jpg

S2hxPnn.jpg

GWMU4Ei.jpg

i1IBqoH.jpg

But the cred wasn’t going to open for another hour, so we left and grabbed it at the end of the day. It was decent enough for such a small thing really. Not too much of a spin, which I was grateful for.

From there it was to Adventureland, which has 3 creds: two powered coasters and a motorbike thing.

wv3nmPP.jpg

8CtOnoG.jpg

JJCbXaA.jpg

hMfSQKr.jpg

l54Xh7z.jpg

83B3zhz.jpg

xhpNLni.jpg

IvL22tP.jpg

HM6zS1H.jpg

OTIWm6K.jpg

I worked out later that my 1,400th cred was the slightly bigger powered coaster.

Then it was onto Antics Land, where we did a few other things other than the coaster, some suspended monorail/part dark ride thing, a really piss-poor shooter and a decent enough horror walkthrough.

LlGZF93.jpg

C7eRcjL.jpg

o2msQtR.jpg

kAQJ0kA.jpg

nx7B8oG.jpg

BpGJx1K.jpg

tJvcYGe.jpg

There was then the gross effrontery of having to drive past a closed kiddy cred at Al Rigga Carnival - which frankly ruined the whole trip and made me wish I hadn’t bothered going - before quickly running into Kiddieville to grab the cred there.

yoy4njP.jpg

JrZJQjY.jpg

Back to the first place:
eswilvL.jpg

Then on to the airport for an overnight flight back to Hong Kong, arriving too early for the public transport to be running, so ended up forking out for a taxi rather than join the throngs of peasants sitting in Mcdonald's, waiting for the buses and train to start up an hour later.

Overall thoughts on the UAE then. I really liked it. I’d been putting it off for ages, partly because I was waiting for stuff to open and partly because I’d heard a lot of mixed things about it (“It’s just shopping malls in the desert” etc., which is kind of true actually).

I think Chinese New Year was the perfect time to go; the weather was warm, bordering on hot, but very comfortable and it was no burden to be outside for any prolonged period of time, so I’d definitely recommend February as a good time to go if you want to avoid the ridiculous heat.

The food was fab as well. Every shopping mall food court, even the smaller ones, was amazing; just crammed full of every international chain you could think of, as well as plenty of more local options.

It’s not the most pedestrian-friendly of places For example, my friend’s place from the Burj is really close, but took ages when I made the mistake of walking it thanks to a massive lack of footpaths, and the Burj/Dubai Mall metro station is nowhere near the ****ing things – but that’s understandable when for most of the year nobody is going to want to walk anywhere.

Anyway, it’s definitely one for the “revisit” list when/if all those other parks happen since there’s still lot I didn’t get to do and it’s one of the easier long-haul destinations from Hong Kong given the multiple direct options and decent prices.

The end.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Great report as always, gavin! You're really giving us peeps rooted to the northern mountains a lot of great glimpses of the wider world out there. It appears to be surprisingly full of small coasters in unexpected places.