What's new

TusenFryd | Thors Hammer | Dark ride

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Time to finally make this topic!

So, for some time, we've heard news of the so-called "Mjolner" dark ride to open in the former VikingToktet cave. It will be a major investment for the park.

Now, via their Facebook page, TusenFryd has finally released some news about the story and setting of the ride:

http://www.e-encuesta.com/answer.do?tes ... c%3D&chk=1

Rough translation:

In 2013, we will open a new attraction at TusenFryd. It will be a big investment, and it is built inside the hill at the bottom of the park. The attraction will be a "dark ride" shrouded in Norse myths.

Storyline: On your way into the cave, you discover that the thunder god Thor has lost his hammer during the preparations for Ragnarök. It has been stolen by another god, Loki. You take part in a journey where you help Thor get his hammer back. You will pass through different scenes and will meet Loki in all his different forms; the Fenrir wolf, Jormungandr the great wyrm, dragons and other scary monsters. Will you succeed at helping Thor?

And the bottom bit:

"We need your views on what the attraction should be named. On a scale where 1 is the worst and 6 is the best, how good do you think these suggestions fit the ride?"

Thors Hammer (decent)
Hammerfall (good)
HammerRide (outright terrible)
RockRider (OK...ish...)
ThorRaider (even worse than all the above)

You can also suggest your own idea.

questionImageAction.do

Please vote.

Seeing as it's past New Year's already, construction should be well under way already. Pictures will come when available. I have decent hopes for this ride.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Re: TusenFryd | ??? | Dark ride

There was a Tusenfryd topic somewhere with information - this is neater :)

Also excited about this (even though I have few/no plans to return to Tusenfryd), just because I love Norse mythology and I loved that cave! :)

Surely a name like "Trials of Thor" or "Quest for Mjölnir" would suit the ride?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Re: TusenFryd| ??? | Dark ride

Martyn B said:
We already have a topic for this don't we?

Edit: Yup, it's here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21785&start=70

Though it doesn't look like it is strictly for this dark ride, but there is a couple of pages worth of discussion/news/pics.

I should know, I created that thread for general Norway news, and have kept bumping it since. Still, I think this ride deserves its own topic, especially now that we have got a whole new subforum for that exact sort of things.

Also, how foolish of me to forget the construction gallery you found in that other topic:

Martyn B said:
New artwork, plus construction pics:

55385696.png

14754592.png

42365139.png

18886149.png

56752842.png

38341510.png

91274118.png

11802620.png

http://www.tusenfryd.no/no/Praktisk-inf ... #gallery=2

Looks spectacular!

Thekingin64

Strata Poster

The cars look similar to those new Seaworld ones. Wonder if it'll be a similar system.

That concept art does look great though.

nadroJ

CF Legend

Looks pretty sweet! I love Viking style theming <3

The suggested names are all terrible or tired cliches, furie's suggestions were much better. If they're that imaginative with the theming of this ride they should put the same effort into naming the thing.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Tusenryd have decided to name the attraction "Thors Hammer". Those of you well-versed in Norwegian, might notice that they use the wrong spelling (the god is known as Tor in Norwegian). Some might argue that it's meant to be read in English, but in that case, an apostrophe is missing.

Either way, I think the ride will be decent enough.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
TusenFryd has launched a microsite about their new attraction:

http://thorshammer.no/en/

Images, concept art and the pre-ride teaser. I can't load the English version at the moment, but that might be because my Internet is slow. If it turns out to be an error on the site's part, try the Norwegian version:
http://thorshammer.no/no/

Lofty

CF Legend
I'm in contact with the guy who's creating the operating username and control panel for the ride. From what I've heard, he says its going to be a great little ride!

fefa

Mega Poster
Awesome, I was inside this particular hole back in 2007 and always wished they would build a dark ride in there.

peep

CF Legend
Wow, I'm loving the pre-show and the music <3

I really want to ride this, looks like they're putting a lot of effort into it. I hope it's as good as it looks from what we've seen so far.

Gazza

Giga Poster
The story is basically that the evil god Loke steals the hammer from Thor, and you will help him get it back.
It's a pretty big investment for the park, and the result is kind of impressive.

For being Tusenfryd the theming is exceptional, and the theme song was very cool as well. The only thing to complain about is the roof in the queuing area, it could be much nicer if they had decided to go with some themed wooden planks, instead of the black steel roof it has now. Other than that it is very well done.

The ride itself was kind of a let down, as it's more for children and families, and it was over way to quickly. It probably should have been twice the length for me to be satisfied with it, but the space was very limited, since they used the old cave.

Overall it's a very good addition to the park, and I think it will be very popular for years to come, but it's just not what I was excepting from all the art work.
Ummm, so what does the ride actually do? Do the vehicles spin or have a motion base, do you wear 3D glasses?
Details pls.

_koppen

Hyper Poster
I did not want to spoil it, but here goes.
You travel along a path/rail which has several screens you stop at, showing 3-D effects of Nordic creatures, while a voice tells a story.

The cars spin around so that they are always facing the right screen, and they also have a lot of other movement directions, that are used to give you a sensation of flying at some screens (like a simulator ride) and to simulate bumps and crashes. At some of the screens you also have wind effects and heat at one point.

The vehicles are single cars, with two rows, each with space for 3 grown persons.
The path between the screens are very well themed, at least enough for me to actually think they were, and there were probably around 10 screens with effects.

Overall it's a superb family attraction, only a bit short.

Gazza

Giga Poster
I did not want to spoil it
Spoiler Tags are made for this, plus not everyone will be going to Tusenfryd soon anyway cool)

Pretty impressive it's a 4d dark ride anyway...I thought they would be too expensive for most parks outside the really huge ones...Wonder who built the ride system?

_koppen

Hyper Poster
Gazza said:
I did not want to spoil it
Pretty impressive it's a 4d dark ride anyway...I thought they would be too expensive for most parks outside the really huge ones...Wonder who built the ride system?

If you go in with family ride in mind, then it's a darn impressive ride.

I tried real hard to find a manufacter, checking for logos on all the electrical equipment and the ride controls, but no luck . :?
rollermonkey said:
Your copy/paste function is broken?
:?: :lol:

I upload the picture straight to the "other" forum's server, then it's not the same codes as here cool)