What's new

Canada&USA;LaR/SFNE/SFGE/Quassy/Compounce/Coney/Knoebels/Cedar Point/Waldameer/Niagara/CanWonderland

davidm

Strata Poster
Wednesday 6th June

So the doubling-back on my self a bit / slightly convoluted route / reason I was staying near Albany last night was because today's park
wasn't open earlier in the week and Albany was an easy hour drive South of it so seemed like a good base to go/come back from. In hindsight I
should have booked a hotel further South for that night, but hey you live and learn.

So the easy hour's drive North got me to Great Escape (A Six Flags Theme Park) - and I think that distinction
was interesting, it being "A Six Flags Theme Park" rather than "Six Flags Whatever" - La Ronde was the same and this place felt even less
like a Six Flags than that place did. Not only was it lacking the big thrill-coaster type rides of a typical Six Flags but a lot of the park
itself felt very un-Six Flags (which is both a good think and a bad thing I guess).

Anyway, I was prepared to give it the benefit of the doubt and after completing a brief marketing survey as I headed in (I guess a lot of my
answers were non-typical ones - "How far have you travelled to visit us today" "all the way from the UK!" and so on) I headed in and was most
amused to immediately see this

I thought "that looks like that pig from Florence..."

and indeed it was!

Managed to avoid picking up a map in my pig-based-enthusiasm and started wandering around looking for the roller coasters. Had passed one as
I came in and the boomerang was pretty easy to find but was not running straight away so I kept wandering a little randomly.

Was a bit concerned that I hadn't seen any more coasters (there were meant to be a couple more) but as I headed towards what was the back of the
park I did find the bobsled (which was closed) and then the woody Comet.

I was actually pretty pleased to come to see this, years ago (before all this looking coasters up on the internet made life so easy) I had
bought a book about roller coasters and this one had featured in some great pictures in the book that helped fan my early enthusiast days.

And the ride was really very good - really liked it. Its not that big, but it does a lot with it (for a 1994 rebuild of a 1948 coaster).

Bobsled was still closed though, was starting to get that spite-feeling.

Their kiddie coaster was denied too (I did ask!) - so thats 3 potential spites already :(

Soon found another coaster though, Canyon Blaster - a mine train ride.

(interesting that the building for a long gone coaster 'Nightmare at Crack Axle Canyon' was still there in the background of that ^ pic, much
like at Frontier City where there is a similar building not-housing a long gone cred)

The mine train was OK and nearby was the last coaster, which was at least running ; Steamin' Demon - another relocated ride (they all
seemed to be relocated rides here) it was this one that you can't really avoid seeing as you walk into the park

Just a loopscrew, this was not good - did ride it a couple of times but very defensively.

Park is very green, being set amongst woods for the most part

Yay the boomerang Flashback was running now...

Was starting to run out of steam though - wasn't a lot in the place to keep me too amused. Had a go on the chair-lift thing just to see a
few different angles

Did not ride, stupid things;

Then joy of joys, I saw some action back at the bobsled, so watched them test for a while and then camped out at the ride entrance. After a
few minutes someone walks down and removes the "closed" sign and we are in.

Think I enjoyed Alpine Bobsled far too much for what it is.

Didn't realise at the time that its a clone of the one at Six Flags over Texas. This particular one had been relocated from Great Adventure
and Great America - such was its pedigree.

Right, bored of the park now. Went back to the woody for a few more rides and to take some pictures;

No, no idea;

Heading out;

So yeah, not a great park, 1/2 day place really but miles away from anywhere else so thats not much use. Another place I'm glad I've been to
but would not imagine ever going back to (unless they relocate in some other coaster I'm interested in ;) )

So I could have done a lot more driving that day, got myself better positioned for where I wanted to be the next day, but I was still in the
same hotel (with the non-existent beer&bbq place next door) so it was Denny's and a quiet night instead (early start in the AM)- pah, must do
better planning.

Snoo

The Legend
Great Escape.. the feeling you have when you're walking out of the park. Such a crap show. Glad I went once and covered all the basics (Alpine was closed when I went). UC and I actually left and went to SFNE for a 20 ride marathon of S:RoS.

I can't wait for the NUDE SHOTS!!!!! <3

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I feel reassured that you reckoned it was only a half-day park, as I'm hoping to get through it pretty quickly before making the large(r) drive in the afternoon. I like the look of the woodie and the bobsled though.

davidm

Strata Poster
You could do the park in an hour really ; woody deserves a bit more love though - the issue with the bobsled is that I don't think they bother opening it until later in the day (which rather scuppers the "do it in an hour" plan as you'd need to pick the right hour!)
EDIT : for me, the bobsled opened around 1pm, whether thats normal behaviour? So you could do everything else first, couple of goes on the bob and be out of there by half past 1 - I lasted another 90 minutes or so taking pics and re-riding the woody.

Last edited:

davidm

Strata Poster
Thursday 7th June

So due to my inept planning (see last post) it was a early start this morning ; 2 hour drive and needed to be at stop #1 for 9am to maximise
the amount of time I had. Pausing only slightly to take a picture of burdenous closed beer-joint in the hotel car park...

Planned a route that avoided the evil toll roads and after a fair amount of "back-country" roads I get to Quassy Amusement Park for 9am.

Place is deserted when I turn up, grab some tickets though (truth be told I mess up how many tickets I need and I had to go back a little
sheepishly to get some more, I'm sure they weren't laughing at me).

Woody wasn't running right away, so wander around a little bit - find the kiddie cred Little Dipper (sure the ride op wasn't laughing at
me on that either)

Place is still deserted, few rides running in test mode, lot of bored ride-ops sitting around hoping I'll ride their ride just to give them
something to do.

I had catered for a ride on the carousel in my ticket purchases though, since the woody was still not working.

There was a little model of the woody next to the carousel though

Men were working on it though, so I (goon) watched them for a while, they saw me watching them and I'm sure they weren't laughing at me.

After a while they stopped working and sent it round on a couple of test runs - yay. So I went into the Q (I was only punter there still)
and chatted to the two ride-ops as they started it up. Was laughing with them at least this time as they went through their motions and
sent me round a couple of time on the rather nice little Wooden Warrior.

Its obviously not a BIG ride, but as wooden-kiddie-coasters go it was pretty good.

Some school busses had turned up while I was riding it, so a swarm of kids rushed onto the ride - at least I got to take a few snaps of it
with people on then...

Right then, been here an hour now, that was probably about 45 minutes longer than I'd bargained for (dopey me for thinking the woody would
be running at 9am sharp I guess) - get the hell out of there and rush off to the next place, which will be a little more busy.

Some minor traffic burden means its 45 minutes later that I'm parked up at Lake Compounce, and despite the place
being pretty busy - they don't have ANY ticket booths open, just a big Q (like 50 people deep) at the Guest Services window (well 3 windows) -
FFS that has annoyed me.

Most of the 49 people ahead of me appear to be buying either season passes for their entire family (so the transaction involves the taking
of photos of everyone and the printing of cards) or entry for a coach-load of school-children (so that transaction seems to involve lots of
form filling). None of this amuses me greatly. AAAaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh.

Eventually I get to buy a ticket, a transaction that takes me approximately 45 seconds and I can get into the park. I'm pissed off with it
because not only is the place busy (heaving with school parties), not only has it taken me FAR TOO LONG to get into the park, but the place is
on off-peak hours and closes at 4pm today. I've got creds to get goddammit don't they know?

Priority is the woody Boulder Dash of course, so despite the long looking Q I head in. Not only is the Q pretty long looking, but they
are running only one train and operations are SLOW. Q moves really slowly, I take a few pics to occupy my mind, but my mood is not getting
any better.

It looks quick coming off its drop and back into the woods though - hmmmm nice.

Getting closer to the station now.

Station is a big free-for-all, so is packed solid. Ugh.

And then it breaks down.

Nothing happens for a while - people leave. I'm more pig-headed than that (if I left I'd only be behind those people in another Q and this Q
would have built up again by the time it reopens) so I stay there instead.

Some mechanics turn up, faff around for a while, go oil something on the brake run, faff about a while more, send a train (YAY), faff about
a bit more, send another train - seem happy - YAY IT REOPENS. And since I've positioned myself on the back row off we go.

Bloody loved it I did. That has cheered me up. :)

Need to get the other coasters too of course, nearby is the other woody - much older but now with modern trains ; Wildcat

That was all right, new trains must make a difference as I'd head some very disparaging comments about that one in the past. Still had to Q for
it for 40-odd minutes though, bad mood returning?

Their newest coaster is next, Phobia Phear Coaster and they have made a good job of adding almost-themeing stuff to this and so on.
Q looks busy again though, but to my surprise it moves relatively quickly or I just managed to get into a line (free for all in the station
again) that wasn't that busy. Been on one of these before a few times, so knew what to expect, still liked it though. Good ride for the
place as it certainly seemed to be intimidating the locals, the bravest of which were happily overcoming their phears.

They also have a boomerang named Zoomerang - wonder how long that took to think of. Not a long Q for that fortunately though.

I did have a look around the rest of the park - was OK, reasonable selection of rides, mostly very busy.

Rode Boulder Dash again a couple of times then - another long Q but after I rode it I spotted an empty seat in the next train so asked
the ride-op on the station if I could fill it and they said "YES". Actual joy at that!

Had a wander along the lake, really to have a look at the coaster from a different angle, but also there seemed to be a rapids ride at the
end of the lake, far away from the rest of the park and that seemed a bit curious.

Yep there it is, and no-one was riding that, presumably because it was pretty far away from anything else!

I queue for the coaster again, wait for the front this time - thats good too.

And do the same "can I fill that seat" trick after that ride too - result again.

Walk around the Q after that ride (no free seats), and its died down a lot, 10 minutes wait. Lovely.

Then the next time no wait... all the school kids have gone and so the last half hour I'm riding every other dispatch. Get to stay on the
ride too for the last ride of the day (disgustingly early at 4pm obviously, but I'd been riding it for the last hour so I was happy).

Nice ride-op even offered to take my pic sat in the front seat when I took those couple of goon-pics, I declined (no-one needs to see that).

So despite the park's best efforts, I was actually very happy with my time there (well, my time on Boulder Dash anyway). In my goonthisam
I even bought a mug and a fridge magnet on my way out.

Hotel for the night was an hour away and was a bit shoddy, worst hotel of the trip, not awful but was being remodelled, small room overlooking
a car park and on an awkward one way system. No beer places nearby so drove somewhere for food and some take-out beers from Whole Foods; beer
is food right?

Anyway was in position to drive into New York next day, which never seemed like a great idea but there I was...

Last edited:

Pear

Strata Poster
Did you happen to see a 2nd train on the transfer on Boulder Dash? I do not know if the park purchased a new train after the crash last year.

Shame you didn't ride the wave swinger though. It runs much faster than other parks and even sustains some good G's!

davidm

Strata Poster
I asked the one op I was chatting to during the break-down about a second train, he just said they "used to have one".

Pear

Strata Poster
After the crash they merged the good parts of the two trains together to create one. I wasn't expecting them or Parques to look into buying another.

Snoo

The Legend
That line for BD is always atrocious. The operations at Compounce have never been great by any stretch of the imagination. Shame too.

davidm

Strata Poster
Friday 8th June

Easy drive down the highway first thing this morning, but the rest of the day's driving I was not particularly looking forward to. This park
I'd driven past previously but not stopped at (was on the way to the airport back then, in hindsight of course I would have had enough time
but plane-anxiety/New York traffic-anxiety was happening at that time) so on this trip I was quite happy to spend a little time here at
Playland Park.

Place was very quiet when I turned up, but lots of school trips soon started arriving and lines built up a lot then. I was mostly interested
in their old woody, but that wasn't working when I arrived, so had to see how many of the other coasters I could get before the school-children
made it too burdensome.

Mouse first then, imaginatively named Crazy Mouse - I had got it in my head that it was a spinning mouse, so I was pleasantly surprised
to find it wasn't (since they are much better, still not great, just better)

Kiddy coaster next, Family Flyer. I might have been the only person on that ride, but you can't prove it. Some kids turned up after to
ride it and give me an action-photo;

Oh good, a Volare.

Empty Q so walked on up to the station, but they closed it (not on my account I hope) - "come back later" they said.

The olde-woody (1929) Dragon Coaster had opened by then, but the school-kids had got there before me and there was a bit of a Q - boo.

This was really good though - or at least I enjoyed it a lot. Nothing too exciting about the ride itself (apart from being eaten by the
Dragon) but it was reasonably long and an interesting ride. Would have ridden it more without the 1/2 hour Q for it (lots of kids and slow
operations).

Were a couple of Ghost Trains there too and since I'd bought a wristband had a quick go on them ; this one was the better of the two

The Volare Super Flight had reopened, the kids had found it too though so had to Q for it for a while, ugh.

Fair few flat rides there as well, not an awful place, worth a couple of hours diversion then.

Part one of today's unpleasant drive then followed as I drove into and across New York.

The view was mostly this for a couple of hours.

Got to Coney Island though and parked up in some dodgy lot just off the boardwalk. Checked out what the deal was with this, $10 a ride, ouch.

And checked out the other coaster prices - a Luna Park wristband seemed the idea then (especially as if that old-woody was any good I'd
have to have a few rides). Wristband was obviously-extortionate though, but what are you going to do...

So rode that other old (1927) woody, the Cyclone first then.

And I loved that - suddenly very happy I'd bought a wristband so I could ride it a few times (which I did) - operations were really good, it
being in their interest to get as many people through it as possible - and the ops were all very friendly and good natured. Ride itself
was really good, the layout familiar from the various copies I've ridden over the years but the (heavily padded) seats were fine (there is
a restraint bar that comes down as well but doesn't touch you unless you are a larger person) and the ride was full of heavy laterals and
some good old fashioned air too. Loved it.

Will come back later I think.

Work my way around the other creds next, first up another mouse, spinning this time, Tickler;

And next to that a surprisingly violent family coaster Circus Coaster

I went to look at the newest coaster next, but it broke down while I was in line - pah.

I was initially a little confused by the Luna Park / Screamzone distinction as I thought they were separate places, but the wristband covered
both and it was all being described as "Luna Park", so a block down the beach was another two Zamperla lovelies, first up the motocoaster
Steeplechase

Spotted that Thunderbolt had started running again so went back to that glorified eurofighter. Odd configuration with 3 across seats
and it was a bit of a lumpy ride. Interesting long thing on a small parcel of land though - and looks really good I guess.

Went back to get the last of the Zamperla-fest rides then, oh good another Volare, Soarin' Eagle.

One Volare in a day could be considered unfortunate, but TWO is just down-right stupidity.

Not part of Luna Park is the other place here, Deno's Wonder Wheel Amusement Park home of the famous wheel of course.

I like ferris wheel, stupid USA rules about no single riders on them mean I don't get to ride many of them when on trips like this, but this
one had cages so no stupid rules applied - yay.

There is a kiddie-coaster at Deno's too ; Sea Serpent - checked I was allowed to ride it (I was) and bought a ticket ($4).

Right all creds collected, back to Cyclone for a while to have a few more rides of that.

Had a wander on the beach just because it was there - was pretty busy for a Friday afternoon.

And then off on another horrible traffic-filled drive across one of the busiest cities going. $17 toll to cross a bridge FFS (had checked out
the NY electronic toll rules though and you could pay online for these with just a little faff, so my anti-electronic-toll rant only applied to
the Massachusetts toll system).

Got a hotel upgrade that night though, so that was the best hotel of the trip - I had a separate lounge and everything, not bad for a random
hotel pick just off the freeway. There was a TGIs within walking distance too (co-incidence that was, it had not factored in me booking the
place) so ended the day with a couple of beers, which was nice.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
We considered playland on our trip but as quassy was nearer to LC, we did that instead. Looks like it's worth a visit if you're passing by though, thanks for the review.

davidm

Strata Poster
Saturday 9th June

So despite being in a reasonably nice (upgraded) hotel, was at McDonalds for breakfast (nice hotels often don't have free breakfast - go figure)
and then off into deepest, darkest Pennsylvania I go. Somewhat inconveniently my phone satnav decides that the moment I get off the freeway
and head into the woods would be a great time to stop working - technology fail. I had some printed directions though and luckily I could
follow them OK and soon get myself to...

...Knoebels Amusement Park & Resort - and it being a Saturday the place is heaving - long Q just to get into the car park.
Being a Saturday they also don't do wristband deals, just individual tickets, so stock up on a few of them and fight my wast past the heaving
masses (to be fair a lot of the masses seemed just to be there to chill out / have a picnic rather than ride the roller coasters so despite
lots of people the Qs were not too bad).

Perhaps the worst Q was the first one I hit up, this was all here the previous time I came to the park (2007) but was in the middle of its rather
prolonged construction phase at the time so all I could do back then was admire its wooden structure. But today I could ride Flying Turns
and that made me happy!

The Q was quite slow moving, but was continuously moving at least - 45 minutes though, so plenty of time to admire the structure from the inside
this time.

Get to ride, pretty slick loading routine where you are batched up, surreptitiously weighed and then allowed to board - only 3 car trains
so max 6 pax per dispatch but often only 1 person per car - no wonder its a slow line.

Really fun though more a work of art/love I think than a fantastic coaster - one for the romantics amongst us rather than the thrill-seekers.
I loved it.

I spent a lot of the day getting rather confused about where I was in the park - the haphazard park layout amongst lots of wood & trees and
the huge crowds constantly getting in my way meant getting around the park was a chore, a happy-chore though I think?

I had done the previous old kiddy-coaster last time I was here, but they had since replaced it with a more modern (but pretty similar) model
Kozmo's Kurves - so I rode that obviously ; quite bouncy it was.

Next on the cred-list was the rather out of place metal thing, Impulse. Out of place as if there is one park that really doesn't seem
like it needs to have an ugly big modern steel coaster in it, its this one. Odd choice then.

There was a HUGE Q for this as well, but I knew about the single-rider line (which is pretty well advertised as well to be fair) and bypassed
all that, saving myself at least an hour each time I rode it I reckon.

Quite liked it though - another eurofighter-esque ride.

Last new cred was weird. Black Diamond. I'd actually been near this before when it was SBNO on the Jersey shore, but can't recall seeing
it there to be honest. Its weird as if no-one told you it was a roller coaster you would hardly guess - its a dark ride really, just the
mechanism is coaster-like - you can see it better on the RCDB pics of its previous life in Jersey (LINK)

The other weird thing for me at this place was Phoenix, in that I had definitely ridden it before but could remember nothing about the
experience (vastly preferring the other woody back then) yet it seemed to be a ride that people rave about? So I made sure I paid a good
bit of attention to it this time, rode in row 2 to start off.

And to be honest it was good, but really don't see what people think is special about it - yeah there was some nice airtime and all but really?

Hmmm

Rode it again a bit later, this time in the back. Again it was good, but not great.

Twister on the other hand was great. Preferred it again this time too. Go figure.

Much more imposing ride, big structure and the dual lift hill thing it has going being an oddity too.

I obviously (given some of these pics) also had a spin on the skyride, that was nice.

and a go on the (famous) Haunted Mansion dark ride - had ridden that before too but again couldn't recall much about it - was just a Ghost
Train, albeit a pretty good one.

Had a few re-rides, took some pictures, wandered about for a while then called it a day. Pretty nice day to be honest though, despite the
crowds of people was still pleasant enough.

Had a couple of hours drive that evening which was pretty easy once I got back on out of the woods and onto the freeway. In my internet
search earlier in the year for random hotels just off the freeway I had come across one in State College (surprisingly thats the name of a town
as well as the, well uhh, state college) that was within walking distance of a brewery/bar. Ker-ching!

Pretty good brewery bar it was too ; "Happy Valley" turns out to be a brewery and not just a Chinese theme park chain.

I had far too much driving to do the next day so didn't stay too long, but managed a reasonable enough selection of their beers to make me
happy! :)

Hm, weird that you didn't like Phoenix, but then again I haven't been on it for six years so maybe things have changed. Boulder Dash on the other hand somewhat underwhelmed me despite being in my top fifteen! Screw you for getting Flying Turns though! I have been to Knoebels probably four or five times and either it has been under construction or been pouring rain out :mad:

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I had decided against putting black diamond down as a cred but after seeing those old photos I now feel conflicted. Hmm.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
^ count it ; its on RCDB and Coaster Count!

My good deed for the week is done ; +1 for you! :)
I suppose but then what about all the other ghost trains? Devil's den at Conneaut Lake is listed in some places as well but that seemed like a normal ghost train.

davidm

Strata Poster
Yeah count that too (+2 to you!) - if its on RCDB then thats enough for me!
The next installment will cover that one - I think it "counts" as it is primarily gravity driven rather than powered like most ghosties

Snoo

The Legend
RCDB is usually my baseline. The only thing it doesn't count are racers as different but thats always subjective. :p