What's new

Tories, local elections and wooden rollercoasters.

A

Anonymous

TAKEN FROM TOWERSTIMES:

I thought this was a very good topic discussion.

On the 4th June this year, Staffordshire County Council was won by the Conservatives with an absolutely massive majority.

Conservative - 49
Liberal Democrat - 4
UK Independence Party - 4
Labour - 3
Independents - 2

The council has been held by Labour since 1983 - the vast majority of Alton Tower's lifetime as the modern theme park it is today. The 2005 election results are much closer, but with Labour still having a majority.

Labour - 32 members
Conservative - 27 members
Liberal Democrats - 2 members
Independent - 1 member

As you can see, the 2009 elections were an absolutely massive landslide, so much so that anyone now sitting in the council who isn't a Tory is almost completely irrelevant. How does this relate to Alton Towers you may ask? Well, the Tories are apparently well known in the planning community for being much more liberal on planning issues than Labour. This fits with Conservative values of small government, with a minimum interference in the free market. The party know that the theme park is a huge boost to the local economy and the economy in general, and would want to do the necessary minimum to stunt it's growth. Labour are more balanced towards comprimising the theme parks needs with the quality of life of local residents.

It was a TTF'er who mentioned something to me that gave me the idea to start this topic, Dave, who's training to become an architect. He said that when his council was Labour controlled they were really difficult about anything they submitted but when the Tories took over it became "much easier". Remember, the Big One was built under a Tory central government, and has definately provided an economic boost for Blackpool. So with a general election next year, with the Tories likely to win on a landslide, could a combination of central and local Tory government mean we finally see less strict plannign restrictions, and possibly some wood at the Towers?

What do you think?

jokerman

Giga Poster
Over time, possibly, but Alton wouldn't have seen this coming, and suddenly building noisy and big wouldn't fit in with their plans. I do think that the next time we see a "10 year plan" it may be more adventurous. Doing anything big in the short term would not be a good idea.