What's new

Topic of debate: Free The Nipple Campaign

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
One of my favorite things in life is listening and acknowledging peoples opinions on certain and often controversial subjects. I find that it allows me to open my mind and see things from other peoples point of view, something that i may have not done prior to hearing an opinion. I am considering starting a few topics based on controversial subjects that often get brought up on discussed on various social media platforms.

So anyway, this first topic is going to be based on the Free the Nipple campaign. What are your thoughts?

My opinion:

From my understanding the main argument and driving point is the desexualisation of breasts. I personally believe this is something that is necessary in todays society as the double standards between a man walking around topless and a woman walking around topless are staggering. However i see many people saying that until men have self control and dont regard breasts as sexual objects this can never happen. This often leads to misandry and the suggestion that if a man see's a woman topless its an instant boner and he will automatically feel inclined to rape her. I feel a lot of women place the blame on men in this situation and to an extent, rightly so. However in today's society men simply dont see breasts unless its in sexual intercourse with a partner. Im sure if it were normal for women to walk around topless then they would slowly be desexualised but in times where millions of women are having breast implants and other women would downright refuse because they dont feel comfortable showing off their body i feel like they are becoming their own worst enemy. I genuinely believe that the divide in opinion between women is whats causing an issue in the campaign not men. Its down to the freedom of choice which is openly praised in current society and third wave feminism yet its the freedom of choice of women who want to sexualise their bodies to earn money or to gain a partner or even just attention that have negative connotations on the movement.

Anyway my point is, i often feel like men are used as a scapegoat for misandrists. I think a lot overlook the issues they have between them and look to immediately blame men. My opinion may well be wrong but by speaking as a hetrosexual male its just the points that i pick up when reading articles and comments.

I would love for people to chip in their opinions so please feel free, im not here to argue just to learn!

Smithy

Strata Poster
I think it's a bit silly really.

Men's torso's are viewed as sexual objects just as much as women's are, hence Diet Coke/Pepsi whatever using a topless bloke in their adverts, if anything on TV at least there's far more of a sexualised focus on men selling products to women than women selling products to men; it's in the print media that there's a huge swing the other way.

Eh, I don't care really, to be honest. The number of women who take issue with breasts being sexualised is going to be massively dwarfed by the number who'll wear a push up bra and a low cut top.

Each to their own, I just hope either side doesn't start telling the other they're wrong as usually happens in instances like this.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
Don't know much about this campaign so I'm not really gonna add anything to the thread, but I don't understand any need to censorship titties. The end.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I don't want to get too bogged down on this issue, I have close friends that might get offended by something I say taken out of context.

Smithy said:
Men's torso's are viewed as sexual objects just as much as women's are, hence Diet Coke/Pepsi whatever using a topless bloke in their adverts, if anything on TV at least there's far more of a sexualised focus on men selling products to women than women selling products to men; it's in the print media that there's a huge swing the other way.

I agree with what Smithy says here to an extent, yeah blokes are shown in adverts you mentioned, as well as body spray, and perfumes 'por homme' with sweaty man with over the top abs and six packs, enough to make a straight man drool...maybe I'm not helping things with that comment...

On the other hand a male torso has never been as 'sexual' in terms of the way it is viewed as a female's, that sounds shallower than I mean it to be. I know the whole point of this discussion is to discuss whether 'the nipple should be freed', but the thing is men have a different mindset to women, you walk down a street and see builders wolf whistle at women because they're wearing a short skirt or makeup, it's disgusting, vile and incredibly sexist, but do you ever see women working somewhere and wolf whistle at men wearing shorts or even walking topless? No.

I can't help but worry that if certain individuals feel the need to wolf whistle at a woman for wearing a skirt, then what on earth would happen if they were walking topless, ok so men don't tend to walk topless just about town...apart from Skegness but I still think that today's society cannot be accepting of it no matter what my opinion.

For what it's worth, my opinion is that if men can do it, why shouldn't women? But I would worry that it the dirty bastards in society could ruin it for everyone. It's a balancing act, great topic though Chris. I hope my comments won't offend anyone, I've tried to be as conservative as possible.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Jordanovichy said:
I know the whole point of this discussion is to discuss whether 'the nipple should be freed', but the thing is men have a different mindset to women, you walk down a street and see builders wolf whistle at women because they're wearing a short skirt or makeup, it's disgusting, vile and incredibly sexist, but do you ever see women working somewhere and wolf whistle at men wearing shorts or even walking topless? No.

Completely agree Jordan, this yobbish Neanderthal like behaviour is something that's become embarrassing for all involved. Which leads me to question the idea of catcalling (with exception to wolf whistling) I know its disgusting and disrespectful but does it actually happen that often? If any females from the UK could say if catcalling is as common and as constant as made out? I see various 'social experiments' filmed in the US and catcalling seems the norm out there, almost like a constant barrage, its awful. I get that the validity behind these experiments can be questioned as they often show only what they want you to see and what they think will go viral but it still seems such a common occurrence. I'm not sure if I am being oblivious but I don't ever pick up on it happening anywhere near as much on the streets of the UK (excluding wolf whistling). That is unless the homeless man asking for change is a cat caller in disguise.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Jordanovichy said:
I can't help but worry that if certain individuals feel the need to wolf whistle at a woman for wearing a skirt, then what on earth would happen if they were walking topless,
This is all bravado and pathetic "lad banter" culture. A group of brickies are likely to be macho in the same way a group of women on a hen do are likely to be a cackle-fest and audibly eye-up men....albeit in a less subtle way. And if you think that women together don't ogle men in the same way that blokes do, you have a lot to learn!

As I've said countless times before, I'm somebody who rarely gets offended or is ever offended on somebody else's behalf. If a woman wants to walk down the street with her nipples out, let her do it. If a bloke wants to walk around topless or tackle out, let him do it. If a man wants to wolf whistle at a woman, so what? If a woman phwoars at a man, meh, don't care. Same applies to those who are attracted to the same sex. It doesn't bother me. I think we spent far too much time treading on egg shells around other people. Anybody who says that they don't judge somebody on their attractiveness, or their sexual bits on display, is a liar; it's how you express your desire that is likely to offend.

Having said that, I believe there is a decency line and it can be crossed. I won't be offended but I'm sure there will be somebody who is and their opinion must also be respected. It boils down to society, culture and to some extent, religion.