What's new

Top Thrill a league above Kingda Ka?

Which one is better?

• Neither - Both are just a one-trick pony.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Kingda Ka - Taller + Faster = Better

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Top Thrill Dragster - First = Best

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster
I've been on both Kingda Ka and Storm Runner, and I prefer Kingda Ka. and I rode both of them in the front row! don't get me wrong, Kingda Ka is still a good ride. I rank it in my top ten that I've ridden. I just wish the launch was a bit smoother, but it didn't bother me that much.

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
TTD has lap bars, KDK has OSTR's, which eliminate the whole "feel like your going to die" thought. Plus TTD has a better paint scheme.

bmac

Giga Poster
Oh I forgot another pro from my first post in this thread. Kingda Ka has the "holy **** I'm going to splat on the parking lot" feeling.

Not like that makes me vote for Kingda Ka over TTD anyways.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
I've never ridden TTD but I seen videos and pictures and read about it and noticed that TTD gets more attention in terms of maintenance than Kingda ka. Kingda Ka is lacking of maintenance. The weeds are overgrown, the entrance is crap, and the trains are really dirty. It closes for about 4 hours every day. I guess people prefer the ride that is much more prone to rollbacks than Kingda ka. :wink:

Hutch

Strata Poster
I don't really get why we're still having this discussion tbh. TTD > KK. There you go.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Re: Kingda Ka vs Top Thrill Dragster

TTD

Based on what I've heard, it's not that hard of a decision. Oh, and taller + faster isn't necessarily a better thing.

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster

I love how people can actually watch the launch of Top Thrill Dragster. If you want to see the launch for KK, you have to wait in line. Cedar Point has the right idea. And lapbars at 120 mph? <3

MouseAT

Hyper Poster

It's got to be Dragster. I've yet to ride Dragster, but I really want to. Kingda Ka's launch was just underwhelming, and it's way too rattly. Height and speed are overrated. I'd rather ride Stealth than Kingda Ka any day.

bmac

Giga Poster

I hate them both because their only selling points are speed and height, but if Great Adventure tossed the idea of replacing Kingda Ka with TTD I'd accept it in a heartbeat.

AirtimeFreak

Mega Poster

TTD has always looked like the one to me. I haven't been on either so i wont vote, but 10 years ago when i saw videos of TTD i was speechless.

Also anyone know why there are OTTR's on most other accelerators? Stealth for example would be incredible with lapbars not OTTR's

CoburnJason54

Roller Poster
I feel the reason people choose Dragster over Kingda Ka is because Dragster has a much better/intense launch. I rode both in a span of two weeks, and I liked Kingda Ka better. Dragster doesn't feel as tall because it is surrounded by water, so it kind of takes away from the height if that makes sense. Kingda Ka you feel like you are much higher than when riding Dragster, even though it is only 36 feet taller. Also kingda ka you tend to stay up high longer, while dragster tries to give you that airtime over the top, shortening the view. Both drops are the same. The hill on Kingda Ka lets you feel speed for a bit longer than Dragster does, once you are at the bottom of the tower you begin to brake, but you don't break until the hill is almost done. The hill has about as much airtime as Millennium Force (barely any). The good points of dragster is that it has better theming, looks better at night, and you have better viewing of it, but that is soon to change with Kingda Ka next year now that rolling thunder is gone. I don't really see why people complain about the restraints, not really a big deal on these rides. So it is usually up to preference. If you want better theming and better launch, go with Dragster, if you like more height and speed, Kingda Ka is your ride. I think people like Dragster because of that more intense launch, and it is slightly smoother. Both are absolutely incredible rides though.

D1993

Hyper Poster
Dragster usually flies over the tower because there are no holding brakes up at the top, like there are on KK.
It provides some pretty delicious airtime at 420 feet, but you don't really get a chance to catch the view, whereas on KK you do, therefore being the reason as to why you feel like its much taller because you have time to clearly soak in how high you are, in comparison.
But I've also ridden dragster during its first ride of the day and test rides (when I worked there), and first thing in the morning its going slow over the tower. I had a few rides that nearly stalled, and I tell you, it seems just as high.
I don't think KK exactly feels either faster or taller. I've always compared in my mind KK's launch to a shuttle rocket taking off, because it shakes and rumbles quite a bit!
It's always fun to compare the two and while both are great ...........
Lets be real here, obviously TTD is the winner.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
After riding Kingda Ka I can say I loved both but Dragster is for sure a league above Ka. TTD is much smoother which is the main reason why TTD beats out KK. Ka is a little rough but I still find it amazing as I have them back to back in my top 10. Like I said love em both but Dragster is the better ride.