What's new

Top Thrill a league above Kingda Ka?

Which one is better?

• Neither - Both are just a one-trick pony.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Kingda Ka - Taller + Faster = Better

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Top Thrill Dragster - First = Best

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters

Blizzrock

Roller Poster
Something I've always wondered:

A few years ago I made my pilgrimage to Cedar Point, and got to ride the Top Thrill Dragster. Short, but probably the most incredibly thrilling ride I've ever been on. It ranks pretty high for me on my favorite coasters list, and from what I've seen on this board, I'm not alone.

However, I notice that Kingda Ka (a ride that I have yet to experience), never seems to get much love. Considering it's taller and faster, and appears to be basically the same thing otherwise, why doesn't it get the same warm reception?

-Blizz

bmac

Giga Poster
pros:
-airtime hill

cons:
-obnoxious OTSRs
-rough as sin launch
-semi uncomfortable trains, compared to TTDs open "racing bucket" seats

Been on both and I can attest that TTD edges out KK, but I don't hold it in as high regard as others for reasons well beyond what this topic is supposed to be about.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
I've ridden KK more recently, so therefore it is better. Honestly though, other than the restraints, the ride experience seemed basically the exact same to me. I have them ranked right next to each other in my top 25, and the next time I go to Cedar Point & ride TTD, they will probably flip-flop.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
bmac said:
rough as sin launch
That was my biggest issue with it. Ka rattles around like mad, and just feels uncomfortable.

The launch just felt lacklustre as well - somehow, it just didn't seem to have the same punch that the smaller accelerators do.

It's a great experience, but a poor ride in my opinion. It's worth riding for the experience, but given the choice I'd rather ride Stealth any day, as it's smoother and has a launch that in my mind feels more like an accelerator should.

I've not yet had the opportunity to ride Dragster, but I'm hoping one day I'll get over to the USA again and visit Cedar Point. It sounds like Top Thrill Dragster is the big accelerator coaster done right. All of the pros of being huge, without any of the drawbacks.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Snoo said:
My only correction would be:
TTD >> KK

Don't get me wrong, KK is a kick-ass coaster. It's certainly intimidating and it is a beast, but (and it's a huge but) compared with TTD it's terrible. TTD has a better launch, better restraints, better theme, better trains, better ride quality, better everything. It's seriously so much better.

The vertical spiral down that 420ft drop with only a lapbar is amazing. Couple that with the view, the launch, the quality and the theme and you've got your answer.

Snoo

The Legend
I woulda said all that.. but if you look in my sig, it makes it easier to understand. :p

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
If you're not first, you're last.

TTD was the first roller coaster to break the 400 ft. mark. And as it was with Gemini (first to break 100 ft.), Magnum XL-200 (first to break 200 ft.), and Millennium Force (first to break 300 ft.) - there is an absurd media and public frenzy that follows in the excitement of the new record.

KK was viewed as a repeat - a unimaginative attempt to claim the tallest and fastest record. Though KK still retains the tallest roller coaster in the world title, it still stands that Dragster was simply first.

A good example of this is SFMM's Revolution vs. CP's Corkscrew. Revolution is famous for having the first modern vertical loop. Corkscrew opened 6 days after Revolution with the most inversions title (3 inversions), yet Revolution has gone down in history as more noteworthy. It is all a matter of being first.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
It's difficult to compare as I only went on KK once, in the front seat, and in the front seat, I Loved it - the acceleration was completely different to any other launch coaster, creating a cheek-flapping which was cool!

Although I've heard it's pretty awful in the rest of the train.

TTD was pretty damn smooth throughout!

Nick P

Mega Poster
Ya'll are forgetting about my lonely Storm Runner.<3 I'd assume its launch is right behind stealth. Short and very quick acceleration. The launch on TTD is long and slow compared to others, but the speed is absolutely breathtaking. KK on the other hand...I'm not sure. I've never been on it so I can't really say anything. I'm guessing its crap compared to TTD, just like what you guys have been saying. Believe it or not, I'm not such a big Six Flags fan anyways. SFA </3.

(I'm being a bit bias here.)

Oh, one more thing. Lets say SR had lap bars. Would this necessarily be... possible/doable/safe? I'm flying of of my seat on the heart line, but since I'm only 5'6", my shoulders never touch the otsr part of the restraint. Just the lap bar section. Assuming many other inverting coaster use lap bars, I'd think it would be possible. Just want some clarification. (Sorry for the off topic.)

Who remembers those amazing tail sections of the TTD trains? <3 Just goes to show how sweet TTD's theming is. They should of kept them on...we want more rollbacks. :p

Intricks

Strata Poster
Considering the new clone going in at brazil is using lap restraints, I guess the answer would be yes!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Nick P said:
Ya'll are forgetting about my lonely Storm Runner.<3 I'd assume its launch is right behind stealth. Short and very quick acceleration. The launch on TTD is long and slow compared to others, but the speed is absolutely breathtaking. KK on the other hand...I'm not sure. I've never been on it so I can't really say anything. I'm guessing its crap compared to TTD, just like what you guys have been saying. Believe it or not, I'm not such a big Six Flags fan anyways. SFA </3.
I would call TTD's launch anything but long and slow.

I imagine you are referring to the acceleration of the launch - with Storm Runner averaging 75 mph in 2 seconds while TTD averages 60 mph in 2 seconds. In real life each accelerator coasters launch doesn't break down to linear increments of increased speed every second (which is to say, TTD does not accelerate at 30 mph every second, reaching 120 mph in 4 seconds). Acceleration is depicted exponentially, meaning the rate at which speed increases also increases.

All of this is to say that while the average accelerations plays to Storm Runner's favor, TTD is still going a hell of a lot faster than Storm Runner. Storm Runner's top speed of 75 mph is only 62.5% of TTD's 120 mph. As a rider, I think I notice the top speed more than the the rate of acceleration, and will choose TTD over Storm Runner any day.

Nick P said:
Oh, one more thing. Lets say SR had lap bars. Would this necessarily be... possible/doable/safe? I'm flying of of my seat on the heart line, but since I'm only 5'6", my shoulders never touch the otsr part of the restraint. Just the lap bar section. Assuming many other inverting coaster use lap bars, I'd think it would be possible. Just want some clarification. (Sorry for the off topic.)
Because Storm Runner has the most ridiculous inversions out there, you would want the OTSRs.

Nick P said:
Who remembers those amazing tail sections of the TTD trains? <3 Just goes to show how sweet TTD's theming is. They should of kept them on...we want more rollbacks. :p
They did keep it on... until one of the faux tires fell off. :wink:

The removal of the decorations opened up 2 more seats on each train, which helped with capacity. But it is true - the rear spoiler looked fantastic.

Jason Voorhees

Hyper Poster
Hyde244 said:
And as it was with Gemini (first to break 100 ft.), .

Wrong. Great American Scream Machine at Six Flags Over Georgia was the first over 100 feet. It was 105 feet tall, and opened in March 1973. :)

bentcookie

Mega Poster
Jason Voorhees said:
Hyde244 said:
And as it was with Gemini (first to break 100 ft.), .

Wrong. Great American Scream Machine at Six Flags Over Georgia was the first over 100 feet. It was 105 feet tall, and opened in March 1973. :)

^ Wrong. It opened in April. :wink:

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
There were several coasters over 100 feet tall before Gemini: Revolution at Six Flags Magic Mountain is 113 feet tall & opened a month before Gemini (May 1978); Shock Wave at Six Flags Over Texas opened in April 1978 & is 116 feet tall; Screamin' Eagle at Six Flags St. Louis (110 feet) opened in 1976; the Demon coasters at Six Flags Great America/California's Great America (103/102 feet) also opened in 1976 & Montana Rusa at La Feria Chapultepec Magico in Mexico City (110 feet) opened in 1964.
Of course there were the early record setting "giant" woodies that are long gone: Lake Placid Bobsled at Palisades Amusement Park in Cliffside Park, New Jersey (125 feet) opened in 1937; Giant Racer at Saltair Park in Utah (110 feet) opened in 1932 & the first 100 foot tall coaster was Cyclone at Revere Beach in Massachusetts that opened in 1925.
However, none of these coasters - including the Great American Scream Machine at Six Flags Over Georgia - have a drop over 100 feet (GASM is 105 feet tall with a 89 foot drop), which Gemini does have (125 feet tall with a 118 foot drop). Still Gemini wasn't the first to have a 100+ foot drop. That distinction goes to Loch Ness Monster at Busch Gardens Williamsburg (130 feet tall with a 114 foot drop) which opened June 6, 1978 - eleven days before Gemini.
So it all depends on how you look at it, but Gemini wasn't the first either way. However, it was the first dueling/racing coaster over 100 feet.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Of course there were the early record setting "giant" woodies that are long gone: Lake Placid Bobsled at Palisades Amusement Park in Cliffside Park, New Jersey (125 feet) opened in 1937; Giant Racer at Saltair Park in Utah (110 feet) opened in 1932 & the first 100 foot tall coaster was Cyclone at Revere Beach in Massachusetts that opened in 1925.
Fun fact - Jerry attended all of the opening day events for these coasters. :lol: ;)

The two big things about Dragster that give it the edge for me are the lap bars and the location. Ka is essentially a parking lot coaster and you don't get to see much from any midway or part of the queue, which doesn't help too much to build up the tension like with Dragster. I know you can't see the entire launch run from the queue with Dragster but overall it has a much better atmosphere. The lapbars are self-explanatory though, with the feeling of freedom being insane on the way down.

Ka is still a good coaster though and I don't think it deserves the slander it gets. It's not THAT rough. Okay, it rattles, but it's still not a BAD coaster.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
LiveForTheLaunch said:
Ka is still a good coaster though and I don't think it deserves the slander it gets. It's not THAT rough. Okay, it rattles, but it's still not a BAD coaster.
Sorry, but it definitely deserves every bit of criticism it gets. Considering how smooth TTD is after all these years, there's no excuse for Ka to be as ROUGH as it is. It doesn't just rattle a little like it did a few years ago. I've ridden it every year since it opened & in fact, it just gets worse as the years go by. For the last couple of years you had to ride in one of the first two cars not to get rattled to death & now the front car is the only one that's still fairly smooth. So yeah, it's still a good coaster, but only in the front two rows (ride in the second row if you don't want to wait for the front, but I recommend waiting for the front if you haven't ridden Ka before).
As far as TTD, what can I say that hasn't been said? The setting, the atmosphere, the adrenaline rush, the lapbars <3 & it doesn't matter where you sit because it's smooth throughout the entire train. I can't imagine it ever leaving my top ten, yet Kingda Ka isn't even in my top 50.