What's new

Top 10(ish): 2024 Edition - page 124

Pear

Strata Poster
Depends on when you ride it. During the night ERT for Coaster Con the ride was absolutely hauling and running at least 5 seconds faster than it did during the day. I never grey out on this ride but for the first time ever I lost my vision. In the morning the ride definitely is not as good as I make it out to be but at night it comes to life and is absolutely insane!

I used to love Boulder Dash and have it as my number 1 as Lake Compounce was (and still is) my homepark, but seeing the ride slowly deteriorate over the years and the park's poor management continually make bad decisions the ride has lost a lot of its charm to me. It's still a top 5 wooden for me though!

Hutch

Strata Poster
Boulder Dash hasn't quite stood the test of time. Obviously the new section isn't as good as the original three hops but the rest of the ride just doesn't run as well as it used to. The airtime is still good, but whole thing has just gotten very rough. I used to be able to keep my hands up the entire time in the back row.

That being said it's still a great ride as it is now, but the change in quality was shocking. I'll always cherish those rides I got in 2013-15, if it was still like that it would still be Top 3 for me. Now, I don't think it's even in my Top 20.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
1. Helix
2. Taron
3. Wildfire
4. Karnan
5. Lost Gravity
6. Balder
7. Shock
8. Katun
9. Troy
10. Bandit

New entries as of GhosterForce. I know one will certainly raise a few eyebrows...

Bandit is kicked to the curb as ICON causes a slight reshuffle. Really enjoyed it. If football wasn't coming home I'd have time in the evenings to write a proper review.

1. Helix
2. Taron
3. Wildfire
4. Karnan
5. ICON
6. Lost Gravity
7. Balder
8. Shock
9. Katun
10. Troy

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Bandit is kicked to the curb as ICON causes a slight reshuffle. Really enjoyed it. If football wasn't coming home I'd have time in the evenings to write a proper review.

1. Helix
2. Taron
3. Wildfire
4. Karnan
5. ICON
6. Lost Gravity
7. Balder
8. Shock
9. Katun
10. Troy

Dude... you can't kick Bandit off. You just can't. Don't you remember how much we laughed on Bandit? The tears of joy from everyone involved? Come on mate, not Bandit. Please ditch Troy instead. Having Bandit in your top 10 is one of the things that makes you.... you! ;)

Imagineer Josh

Mega Poster
To everyone a couple pages back asking about EGF's trims, I rode it several times, and I think I noticed the trims, maybe once? It was running without throughout the entire day, and just became one of the most endearing and fun coasters I've ridden in a long time.

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
Yeah Boulder Dash isn't that good lmao
And that's where you're wrong.... brilliant ride. During the day it's probably my number 2 or 3, but at night it's a different beast, and for that reason it takes my number one spot overall. The airtime is great throughout the entire layout, the laterals are vicious, the roughness is just enough to make it more intense without detracting from the ride experience, the pacing is nearly perfect, and the terrain interaction puts it on another level. Just a purely fun ride worth every ounce of credit that it gets. Unfortunately it seems to be very underappreciated with certain communities, but I strongly stand by my opinion that it is in the top tier of roller coasters worldwide.

Snoo

The Legend
And that's where you're wrong.... brilliant ride. During the day it's probably my number 2 or 3, but at night it's a different beast, and for that reason it takes my number one spot overall. The airtime is great throughout the entire layout, the laterals are vicious, the roughness is just enough to make it more intense without detracting from the ride experience, the pacing is nearly perfect, and the terrain interaction puts it on another level. Just a purely fun ride worth every ounce of credit that it gets. Unfortunately it seems to be very underappreciated with certain communities, but I strongly stand by my opinion that it is in the top tier of roller coasters worldwide.
To be honest, I can see where he's coming from. I did ride the coaster a few years back but that was before the retracking of the element that made the ride the best in the world at the time. Taking that away can change things.

That being said, I totally disagree with your latter statement. Boulder Dash was universally loved around CoasterForce from 2007 until RMC started to dominate around 2013. A lot of members would have it in their Top 10 or #1 in some cases (I still claim to be the first CFer to have it at #1.. :p). But the ride has not aged well, which is not a good thing when bigger and better things come along.

Of course, personally, it's still #3. Not trying to dig as I still have it in high regard having rode it 2 years ago, but it's not the best for sure, and I can see and agree as to why others may feel the same.

Pear

Strata Poster
It's also at my homepark which means I get tired of it very quickly and easily.

I honestly wouldn't be too angry if it ends up getting RMC'd.

Snoo

The Legend
It's also at my homepark which means I get tired of it very quickly and easily.

I honestly wouldn't be too angry if it ends up getting RMC'd.
I mean.. getting tired of something shouldn't diminish how good it is. I've ridden MF some 500+ times and I still think its a great ride. The ride not BEING good or getting worse should make it fall.

Imagineer Josh

Mega Poster
I haven't ridden it yet, but this is why I might not place Boulder Dash as high. (Just trying to keep the convo alive ;) ) If a coaster gives better rides at a different time of the day, then it doesn't make the cut as a "Best Ever" coaster. Rides for me like Expedition GeForce and Lightning Rod will perform like they always do no matter when I ride. I want to have a guaranteed good ride.

I understand that traditional woodies are mostly like that, that they'll ride better at night, but if Boulder Dash is so much better at night, then during the day it's probably not very good. Not consistent at all in that sense!

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
That being said, I totally disagree with your latter statement. Boulder Dash was universally loved around CoasterForce from 2007 until RMC started to dominate around 2013. A lot of members would have it in their Top 10 or #1 in some cases (I still claim to be the first CFer to have it at #1.. :p). But the ride has not aged well, which is not a good thing when bigger and better things come along.
I was not referring to the CF community as it is very well liked on here, however it seems that with the younger crowd on Instagram there appears to be very little respect for such a classic!
As for the aging, I have ridden it in 2013, 2016, and 2017. I have not noticed that it has aged poorly at all. The track-work that was done for the 2017 season was very beneficial, and the new airtime hill into the double up delivers some really awesome airtime. The triple up was great, but I honestly think that the retracking made an improvement. Hopefully when I get back on it in the coming weeks it will be just as good!

Snoo

The Legend
I was not referring to the CF community as it is very well liked on here, however it seems that with the younger crowd on Instagram there appears to be very little respect for such a classic!
As for the aging, I have ridden it in 2013, 2016, and 2017. I have not noticed that it has aged poorly at all. The track-work that was done for the 2017 season was very beneficial, and the new airtime hill into the double up delivers some really awesome airtime. The triple up was great, but I honestly think that the retracking made an improvement. Hopefully when I get back on it in the coming weeks it will be just as good!

Welcome to getting old. :p

Hutch

Strata Poster
but if Boulder Dash is so much better at night, then during the day it's probably not very good. Not consistent at all in that sense!
I haven't done Boulder Dash at night, I imagine it is much more exciting than daytime, but that's not really fair to assume it's "not very good" during the daytime. It's still a quality ride no matter what, even if it's no longer one of the best imo.

A difference in daytime/nightime can change the quality of the ride experience (Beast and Voyage are the obvious ones), but I can't really think of a ride that would actually be bad during the day yet good at night? Some might even say Beast, but I actually think it's still very fun in the daylight.

If a ride isn't good during the day, it's probably not good in the dark either.

Snoo

The Legend
I haven't done Boulder Dash at night, I imagine it is much more exciting than daytime, but that's not really fair to assume it's "not very good" during the daytime. It's still a quality ride no matter what, even if it's no longer one of the best imo.

A difference in daytime/nightime can change the quality of the ride experience (Beast and Voyage are the obvious ones), but I can't really think of a ride that would actually be bad during the day yet good at night? Some might even say Beast, but I actually think it's still very fun in the daylight.

If a ride isn't good during the day, it's probably not good in the dark either.

This isn't Beast we're talking about. Boulder Dash won my heart during the day then blew me away at night.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Boulder Dash won my heart during the day then blew me away at night.
giphy.gif

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
Boulder Dash hasn't quite stood the test of time. Obviously the new section isn't as good as the original three hops but the rest of the ride just doesn't run as well as it used to. The airtime is still good, but whole thing has just gotten very rough. I used to be able to keep my hands up the entire time in the back row.

That being said it's still a great ride as it is now, but the change in quality was shocking. I'll always cherish those rides I got in 2013-15, if it was still like that it would still be Top 3 for me. Now, I don't think it's even in my Top 20.
Huh? I got back on Boulder Dash on Saturday and it only further solidified it as my number one. Most of my rides have come in 2016-2018, but I did ride it in 2013. 2013 was before I had experienced very many roller coasters, so my memory of it has faded a lot, but my rides in 2018 have definitely shown that if anything, Boulder Dash has improved over the past three years. Also, really going to need to disagree with you about the reprofiled section. The revised hill going into the double up gives basically three seconds of flojector airtime. It is also hitting the brakes A LOT harder than previous years, so I take that as another sign of it running a bit faster (although the brake run may have been edited after the crash). The entire return trip though is giving one of the most relentless sections of airtime that I have ever experienced.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Huh? I got back on Boulder Dash on Saturday and it only further solidified it as my number one. Most of my rides have come in 2016-2018, but I did ride it in 2013. 2013 was before I had experienced very many roller coasters, so my memory of it has faded a lot, but my rides in 2018 have definitely shown that if anything, Boulder Dash has improved over the past three years. Also, really going to need to disagree with you about the reprofiled section. The revised hill going into the double up gives basically three seconds of flojector airtime. It is also hitting the brakes A LOT harder than previous years, so I take that as another sign of it running a bit faster (although the brake run may have been edited after the crash). The entire return trip though is giving one of the most relentless sections of airtime that I have ever experienced.
The new section is still quite good and has the airtime that you'd expect, but I preferred the quick intensity of the original three pops. It was a great finale to the ride. And aesthetically, the new wood sticks out like a sore thumb and messes up the consistent color/shade of wood.

I think it just all comes down to opinion. Some people who have ridden it recently still adore it, but it's not Top 10 material for me anymore.