What's new

Top 10(ish): 2024 Edition - page 124

davidm

Strata Poster
...I was giving someone else's opinion, not mine...
actually I think you said ;
...For example, one youtuber has called it "Europe's Cheetah Hunt," by which I think he means it's a fun family launch coaster, but it lacks the intensity to be considered much more and is greatly overrated by many
so you clearly have ownership of the "fun family (launch) coaster" comment (your interpretation of the Cheetah Hunt comparison - which is also easily interpreted as its the same type of coaster as Cheetah Hunt)
-
Believe it or not, I'm not trying to have a go at you here, I'm suggesting why people are having a go at you!

You have been consistently saying that you think it looks good and would probably like it, but what you haven't been doing is backing up any of your other assertions that "many find the coaster overrated" / "greatly overrated by many" and I think that is what is winding people up as its not an opinion that we've seen elsewhere? Cite some sources, show us that opinion and we'll go and laugh at them instead.

For the record, I don't think its the "best ride ever". I do think its in the top 1% of rides I've ridden though.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
actually I think you said ;

so you clearly have ownership of the "fun family (launch) coaster" comment (your interpretation of the Cheetah Hunt comparison - which is also easily interpreted as its the same type of coaster as Cheetah Hunt)
-
Believe it or not, I'm not trying to have a go at you here, I'm suggesting why people are having a go at you!

You have been consistently saying that you think it looks good and would probably like it, but what you haven't been doing is backing up any of your other assertions that "many find the coaster overrated" / "greatly overrated by many" and I think that is what is winding people up as its not an opinion that we've seen elsewhere? Cite some sources, show us that opinion and we'll go and laugh at them instead.

For the record, I don't think its the "best ride ever". I do think its in the top 1% of rides I've ridden though.
The Cheetah Hunt explanation was just an explanation of others' views of the ride. I have no "ownership" of that opinion, as I have never ridden Taron (and in fact, I'm kind of a closet fanboy dreaming of a riding it).

If someone wants to say this "family ride" criticism of Taron is ridiculous, as Edward M has done, have at it! A coaster forum is a place to express opinions, and I have no stake in this, so I welcome hearing all manner of opinions.

If someone wants to express surprise when they hear me say I've heard from many who find Taron overrated, asserting that "That's not at all my experience" or "I have never heard criticism of this ride," that's great. I have expressed my experience with public opinion, and they are saying it does not at all comport with their experience of public opinion. I am glad to get that response, as learning what others think of coasters is a big part of why I'm on this forum.

BUT if someone hears that I have heard many who find Taron overrated and tells me that this is "just wrong" or that it's "absolutely not a divisive coaster," then they are saying one of two things: 1. I am (for some reason) *lying* in saying I have heard this from dozens of people over the years (and your-- hopefully, tongue-in-cheek-- Trump tweet implies just that); or 2. They simply cannot accept the idea that someone else's experience of public opinion could differ from their own.

Reactions: CCF

davidm

Strata Poster
The Cheetah Hunt explanation was just an explanation of others' views of the ride. I have no "ownership" of that opinion, as I have never ridden Taron.
You are not getting it - you made the family coaster comment based on a Cheetah Hunt comparison - thats what you have ownership of.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
If Taron is such a divisive coaster, then name one coaster that isn't divisive? Honestly, Taron is one of the most universally loved coasters in Europe, along with the likes of Shambhala and Helix. Much more divisive coasters are Balder, Goliath or Silver Star.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
\Cite ome sources, show us that opinion and we'll go and laugh at them instead.

I hear you, but this is in some cases not easy to do, and in another case not something I wanted to do. Why not easy? Because the most common source has been word of mouth at meet-ups and random encounters at parks. On Monday I was at Dollywood and in the line for Lightning Rod I met a father and son who'd done coasters all over the world. I started asking about their favorites (Wildfire, apparently), and I asked about Taron, and they both shrugged and said they were underwhelmed. That's a response I've heard a lot since I started meeting people who've ridden it. Also, if you have the stomach to look at youtube comment sections, you'll see a sharply divided opinion on the ride -- and yes, opinions tend to get hyperbolic on youtube, but the "family coaster" thing is practically a meme. As for the most concrete name I can give you, I don't really want to invite ridiculing attention to him as he is a young youtube presenter/vlogger. But while I don't particularly share all his opinions, I do think he has a good sense of reason, a sharp mind, and a wide experience with coasters.

Last edited:

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
If Taron is such a divisive coaster, then name one coaster that isn't divisive? Honestly, Taron is one of the most universally loved coasters in Europe, along with the likes of Shambhala and Helix. Much more divisive coasters are Balder, Goliath or Silver Star.
This is a point I am ready to cede. In fact, when someone else mentioned X2 I couldn't help but think, well, yeah, now THAT is a *really* divisive coaster as many love it and many really hate it. Fair enough. I was only saying that in my experience Taron is a ride that you either get or you don't. I know many who love it (and I agree that it has been popular), but I know many who come away with a shrug wondering what the fuss is. But I'll readily agree that there are far more *polarizing* coasters out there.

Last edited:

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
You are not getting it - you made the family coaster comment based on a Cheetah Hunt comparison - thats what you have ownership of.
Nah, you're ascribing too much creativity to me. I was just elaborating on HIS opinion, trying to make the gist of it clear. I have no opinion on it, other than thinking the POVs look awesome.

davidm

Strata Poster
Yeah I must have just misinterpreted "one youtuber has called it "Europe's Cheetah Hunt," by which I think he means it's a fun family launch coaster"
Silly me.

nadroJ

CF Legend

But Thom, MANY people have said that it isn't forceful! MANY people can't be wrong!

It's not that we can't accept an opinion Mestnyi, if you've ridden it and don't find it forceful or whatever, fine, that's your opinion. But to say a is very divisive when it's not is wrong. Not an opinion - it's incorrect information.

You have no sources to back up your info and when pressed on it you, for some reason, protect this YouTuber's identity. Why? It'd help your argument if anything and help stop you looking like such a fool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
But Thom, MANY people have said that it isn't forceful! MANY people can't be wrong!

It's not that we can't accept an opinion Mestnyi, if you've ridden it and don't find it forceful or whatever, fine, that's your opinion. But to say a is very divisive when it's not is wrong. Not an opinion - it's incorrect information.

You have no sources to back up your info and when pressed on it you, for some reason, protect this YouTuber's identity. Why? It'd help your argument if anything and help stop you looking like such a fool.

I hear what you're saying in the second paragraph, and you can see my response to Thom to see me ceding the point.

As for my "looking like a fool," I may do that regularly, but not wanting to name a teenager when people have said they're ready to ridicule is not an example of my foolishness. But fair enough -- I think he can take it: it's Canada Coaster Fan, a fairly prolific youtuber.

davidm

Strata Poster
If he said it was a "fun family coaster" then he meant it.
If he says its "Europe's Cheetah Hunt" and you think that what he means is fun family coaster, then thats on you.

(but now we can perhaps find the video - so thanks. Its not like people put themselves up on youtube to not be seen now is it! ;) )

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
If he said it was a "fun family coaster" then he meant it.
If he says its "Europe's Cheetah Hunt" and you think that what he means is fun family coaster, then thats on you.
No, over the years he's made his views on Cheetah Hunt very clear. I was trying to convey the gist of what that comparison means coming from him.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Omg...IT'S STILL YOUR INTERPRETATION THEREFORE YOU'RE STILL LIABLE FOR THAT COMMENT.

Can't even.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Omg...IT'S STILL YOUR INTERPRETATION THEREFORE YOU'RE STILL LIABLE FOR THAT COMMENT.

Can't even.

It was crystal clear from the outset that I was conveying someone else's opinion. I even stated several times that I have not ridden the coaster and have no opinion, other than a positive hope to ride it. I am not sure whether the two of you are being deliberately obtuse on this micropoint, but I suspect that you simply cannot admit when you've screwed up, which is why this silly topic has been belabored for so long, even after I tried to offer several offramps.

I have seen this pack pitbull behavior a few times before on this forum and found it disappointing. It's clique-ish and offputting, and not particularly welcoming to newcomers.

davidm

Strata Poster
you simply cannot admit when you've screwed up
Oh the irony!
And playing the victim-card doesn't excuse you from making stupid statements and not being called out for them - this is a roller coaster enthusiast board, if you say something daft about a roller coaster that you know everyone is going to disagree with what do you expect! No-one is picking on you, we are just saying you said something daft.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Oh the irony!
And playing the victim-card doesn't excuse you from making stupid statements and not being called out for them - this is a roller coaster enthusiast board, if you say something daft about a roller coaster that you know everyone is going to disagree with what do you expect! No-one is picking on you, we are just saying you said something daft.
I have stated that I have heard many who find Taron overrated. As that is my experience, it is fact and not "something daft" at all. You are welcome to say that this is not at all your experience -- I've said so from the start -- but if stating my experience is "something daft," then that only says something about your ability to take in opposing views.

I don't think this drawn-out topic is benefiting anyone at this point. I've learned a little more about aspects of this forum; I'm sure you feel you have learned something about me.

My tendency in matters like this is to just forget it and move on. I have much to learn from others about coasters and that is why I'm here. I am sure I'll learn from you and Nadroj in the future.

davidm

Strata Poster
"Taron might just have the most starkly divided reception of any coaster" - thats one of things that I'm calling daft (which is what started all this debate), not that you watch daft-youtubers (although it is a bit daft to then try to "protect" them from us nasty coaster geeks - hint: we don't really care what some 12 year old youtuber says on the internet)

(disclaimer ; no idea how old said youtuber is!)