Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top 10(ish): 2017 Edition - page 40

Discussion in 'General Discussions & Opinions' started by Snoo, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Ben

Ben Best SM Team Member 2016 CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Skyrush
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    But it's gotten all rough now? It's literally three hills and doesn't stack up to anything that's being built now?

Do not get the Toro thing, and it was even worse last week. Had to actually force myself to ride it a second time.

2. TMCoasters

TMCoasters Active Member

Best Coaster:
    Maverick
    Best Park:
    Lake Compounce
    Coaster Count:
    Agreed completely. I found the turnaround and last transitions to be very rough. Still obviously a great coaster but extremely overrated.

Ben likes this.
  3. Coaster Hipster

Coaster Hipster Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Expedition GeForce
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Rode El Toro last summer and did not find it that rattly. Sure it was a little shakey during the turnaround after the double huge camelbacks, but that's it. Maybe I was outrageously lucky?

Toro might be just three hills, but the airtime is quite fab on each of those, and there's not many big ejector humps that compare to that in Europe. (EGF and maybe Goliath are the only ones that come to mind)

4. MestnyiGeroi

MestnyiGeroi Active Member

Best Coaster:
    Twisted Colossus
    Best Park:
    Cedar Point
    That was a hell of a trip. Jealous.

5. Ben

Best Coaster:
    Skyrush
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Colossos is literally the better version of El Toro ;)

And Balder.

El Toro is fine when it's in a straight line, but when it turns it goes rough.

6. Bat Fastard

Bat Fastard Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    El Toro
    Best Park:
    Cedar Point
    Coaster Count:
    Trip report coming very soon ;)
    I can agree it was a bit shaky on the turns, most notably during the turnaround...

7. DelPiero

DelPiero Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Ha! Not a chance. The helix of wobble on Colossos is the problem, and the best seat is the front where the airtime is all floater. You must be going weak in your old age if you prefer floater to ejector. Toro has miles more ejector and really isn't any rougher than a wood-wormed Colossos, even the turnarounds are similarly rough.

Balder was pretty gash when I rode at Bjorn This Way a few years ago and didn't bother with a re-ride, that speaks volumes from someone who loves whoring good rides.

Generally we share pretty much the same onion, but you're way off base here.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017 at 9:42 AM
  8. Mysterious Sue

Mysterious Sue Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Phoenix
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Nah, I prefer Balder to Colossos. Yes it's a bit clinical but it has way more spots of airtime all the way through and they are all strong and some happen inside tunnels :D
    Colossos has the drop and then doesn't really do a great deal - can't compare it with El Toro though as I got spited :(

I find that Balder has good and bad days. But when it's good (like on the Live last year) it's really damn good.

9. ThomVD

ThomVD Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Helix
    Best Park:
    Gröna Lund
    Coaster Count:
    Last year Balder was running really well. I've never cared much for it but last year after rain in the dark it was great! So much fun and good airtime on every hill. Haven't done any other pre-fabs to compare though, but I do think El Toro looks better. Not sure about Colossos yet.

10. CookieCoasters

CookieCoasters Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Intimidator 305
    Best Park:
    Europa Park
    Coaster Count:
    I definitely found Colossos rougher than El Toro. That helix is just terrible! And the airtime on Toro is much more extreme, which is the main reason that I love it a lot more. I'll admit though that pre-fabs don't deal at all well with roughness unlike more traditional woodies, so I can understand that if Toro has gotten rougher why some people wouldn't love it.

Balder is quite different: smooth and full of airtime all around its course, rather than just in isolated sections. However it's not extreme in any way by today's standards, just purely fun.

11. Snoo

Snoo Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    El Toro must have REALLY gone down hill since I last rode it nearly a decade ago. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint but I've found those coasters I've been catching up with as of late have been going in that direction. Of course, it is at a Six Flags park.. not a complete surprise.

12. Bat Fastard

Best Coaster:
    El Toro
    Best Park:
    Cedar Point
    Coaster Count:
    El Toro most overrated coaster ever? Nah, that title belongs to Fury 325. Also I got spited out of Lightning Rod this trip, which is what I expected to be my new #1.... :emoji_zipper_mouth:ing sucks seeing it closed.

13. DelPiero

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    [​IMG]

Ben, Snoo, Hixee and 1 other person like this.
  14. Snoo

Snoo Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    While overrated is appropriate if you feel it was hyped up higher then it should have been, it's such a crap term to use IMO as it gives the impression you hated it. Of course, using your words (not directed at you Bat Fastard.. even though you did do this.. but I'm just ranting) to explain your position past that word is apparently a very tough enterprise.

15. LiveForTheLaunch

LiveForTheLaunch Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Eejanaika
    Best Park:
    DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    ^ Snoo, I actually disagree with that very much so. There are a few coasters in and around my top ten that I think are overrated. Boulder Dash is amazing, but overrated. SFGAm's Goliath is overrated, but still in my top fifteen. I think overrated sometimes gets confused with your opinion not coinciding with the masses, though. Chances are, if most people like it and you don't then it's not overrated, if that makes sense. But yeah just because you think something is overrated doesn't mean it can't be in your top ten or whatever.

Bat Fastard likes this.
  16. Bat Fastard

Best Coaster:
    El Toro
    Best Park:
    Cedar Point
    Coaster Count:
    Don't get me wrong, it's a great coaster and I loved it. Best in the world like many make it out to be though? Not a chance.

17. Ben

Best Coaster:
    Skyrush
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    You think El Toro is the best though, soooooo.

18. Bat Fastard

Best Coaster:
    El Toro
    Best Park:
    Cedar Point
    Coaster Count:
    Alright, touché ;)

19. DelPiero

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    And you think Skyrush is, when it's clearly not soooo... ;)

Bat Fastard likes this.
  20. Snoo

Snoo Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    Well if you think something is overrated, that IS your opinion, regardless of how others feel. And in general, if you do feel something is overrated, that is typically because of the fact that many others feel differently. As I stated, there is nothing wrong with that but there are not only better terms to use (as overrated implies a negative stigma while other words do not) but there are ways grammatically to convey your opinion of a ride, which does not coincide with popular opinion, that allows for more active discussion and a more accurate rating of a ride.

My point is all about how you convey your opinion more then simply having your opinion in the first place (apologies if that wasn't clear). Heck, we all remember Skyrush back in 2012. I was one of the lone rangers who was not immediately "This is my favorite" but I tried to shy away from 'overrated' as much as possible when conversing with the rest of the group regarding the ride for the rest of the trip and afterwards.