What's new

Top 10(ish): 2024 Edition - page 124

balrog

Mega Poster
It looks like my top 10 starts taking shape. it might be time to post it here.

1 - Shambhala : My first truly awesome coaster and first encounter with long airtime. Every single camelback is great, the first drop is truly incredible. Unfortunately, it is a bit too monotonous to hit perfection (Well, i still rode it 9 times in 2 days last April, so I would not call it boring).

1 - Taron : It took me 3 rides to learn how to really enjoy this far-from-perfect rollercoaster. The pacing lacks consistency, the airtimes are short and the first s-turn, hidden behind some theming, is to violent for an element you cannot expect and thus needs some re-rides to be properly enjoyed. But once you know it well, what a blast ! (and I rode it a total of 23 times during the past 2 days). I can't say it is better than Shambhala (so different, how to compare ?) , but it is definitely a great experience, with good intensity, a incredible theming, great speed and some really fun curves.

3 - Oz'Iris : Outside of the old Belgian Schwarzkopf shuttle, a Volare, and a long ton of old Vekoma clones, this was my first looper. And it was great. How enjoyable is this ride ! Exactly the kind of loopers you could ride all day long, it has diversity and is not to taxing on your body.

3 - Dragon Khan : Some transitions remind you this is a classic, an old-timer, but never hurt you or make you feel uncomfortable. Quite intense, but nor overly. Long, fun from the beginning to the end, with no low-point to remember.

3 - Black Mamba : This was way more intense than I expected. What a ride ! And what a zero-g roll !! Perfect interaction with the magnificent theming, serious g-forces all along, and the best use of rolls (twists ? corkscrews ? those two inversions at the end) I can think of.

6 - Heidi : I just really enjoyed this little woodie, nice speed and nice pops of airtime all the way. The GCI trains are unfortunate though, you enjoy things less when you are struggling to accomodate your legs.

7 - Red Force : This one falls short from greatness, and I am not talking about length. It starts as a ride that is just about speed, it is themed solely around speed, but as soon as it gets its speed, it converts it whole into height. Therefore, you cannot enjoy the speed, and because there is not a single quantum of momentum left at the top, you get no airtime. Plus, vertical drop/climb, and you can't create an ejector on a straight line, so it is forceless. The only forcefull time it that rotation during the climb. However, it is still a really fun ride, just not such a good coaster.

7 - Anubis : The launch is crazy an the top at gives a great airtime, and contrarily to red force, there is a layout after that ... just not a really interesting one - but nothing dislikeable though. The restraints are awful and only the first raw is good.

7 (or 9 ?) - Furius Baco : The launch is great, the feeling of speed during the whole layout is great. I really did not like the inversion however, and the restraints are utterly disgusting. Rode it front row, inner seat and did not mind the vibrations.

10 - Tonnerre de Zeus :
I had a lot of fun on this one, but absolutely no airtime, and some parts are quite rough.

I know, there is a lot of ties, but sometime I can't see no good reason deciding which is better than which.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
^ You're spot on about Taron! I feel the exact same way. Glad to see another Dragon Khan fan. It's so intense and fab <3 And you're right about the zero G roll on Black Mamba, my personal fave. Full of wonderful floater.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
1 - Taron : It took me 3 rides to learn how to really enjoy this far-from-perfect rollercoaster. The pacing lacks consistency, the airtimes are short and the first s-turn, hidden behind some theming, is to violent for an element you cannot expect and thus needs some re-rides to be properly enjoyed. But once you know it well, what a blast ! (and I rode it a total of 23 times during the past 2 days). I can't say it is better than Shambhala (so different, how to compare ?) , but it is definitely a great experience, with good intensity, a incredible theming, great speed and some really fun curves.

Really interesting take on the ride. Similar to mine, when I think about it, but unfortunately I couldn't fall in love with it quite as much as most people have seemed to. Maybe I need all those 23 rides that you had ;)

A few changes over the past couple of weeks... I had to take El Toro out of my top ten because I simply don't remember it well enough to compare it. I also added two coasters and rearranged a few!

1. Eejanaika
2. Storm Chaser
3. Wicked Cyclone
4. Wildfire
5. Voyage
6. Bizarro
6. Skyrush
7. Hades 360
8. Outlaw Run
9. Iron Rattler
10. Boardwalk Bullet

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
A few changes over the past couple of weeks... I had to take El Toro out of my top ten because I simply don't remember it well enough to compare it. I also added two coasters and rearranged a few!

1. Eejanaika
2. Storm Chaser
3. Wicked Cyclone
4. Wildfire
5. Voyage
6. Bizarro
6. Skyrush
7. Hades 360
8. Outlaw Run
9. Iron Rattler
10. Boardwalk Bullet
I don't often see Hades 360 above Outlaw Run and Iron Rattler, and that's an unusual number one! I love the variety of these lists.

Snoo

The Legend
I don't often see Hades 360 above Outlaw Run and Iron Rattler, and that's an unusual number one! I love the variety of these lists.
To be fair, X2 blew me away and in many circles, Eejanaika is a ramped up version of it. Hades, though, I have my doubts it would sneak that far up personally. To each their own of course.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
To be fair, X2 blew me away and in many circles, Eejanaika is a ramped up version of it. Hades, though, I have my doubts it would sneak that far up personally. To each their own of course.
Yeah, to be clear, I often express surprise in response to lists, but that shouldn't be confused with criticism. I genuinely like seeing the variety.

I just realized I had two coasters in my number 6 spot. That was unintentional :p

Umm, I guess to clarify why I put Hades there, I expected NOTHING and got almost everything I like in a coaster. Yes, it's rough as heck in some spots, and the operations are terrible, but the airtime is amazing and the tunnel! The tunnel! Before going there I had no idea there were two lengthy tunnels on it and I just came out of them laughing my head off. It has the traditional wooden coaster feel but also has good airtime and is quite relentless, kind of similar to Voyage in that way. Outlaw Run and Iron Rattler are amazing, but were simply a bit short.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
I just realized I had two coasters in my number 6 spot. That was unintentional :p

Umm, I guess to clarify why I put Hades there, I expected NOTHING and got almost everything I like in a coaster. Yes, it's rough as heck in some spots, and the operations are terrible, but the airtime is amazing and the tunnel! The tunnel! Before going there I had no idea there were two lengthy tunnels on it and I just came out of them laughing my head off. It has the traditional wooden coaster feel but also has good airtime and is quite relentless, kind of similar to Voyage in that way. Outlaw Run and Iron Rattler are amazing, but were simply a bit short.
Great description. The way you describe it is just the way it looks to me on POVs (I haven't ridden it), but most enthusiasts I know who've ridden it seem really down on this coaster.

Great description. The way you describe it is just the way it looks to me on POVs (I haven't ridden it), but most enthusiasts I know who've ridden it seem really down on this coaster.

I can certainly understand their perspective on that. It's nowhere near a perfect coaster, is quite rough (especially the track preceding the lift hill) and the operations are extremely frustrating which can ruin the experience. I had never watched a POV, and expected literally nothing because I had only heard bad things about it. It beats you up, but in a good way, I guess. As much as I love RMCs for how smooth and relentless they are, I very much appreciate the traditional wooden coaster experience despite a bit of roughness, as long as it doesn't get too painful. Hades had way more airtime than I ever expected it to have as well!

valleyfair!

Hyper Poster
Been able to hit some parks the last few days, and still got Canobie Lake tomorrow. Assuming nothing there even comes close to this list, here is the update:

1. Lightning Rod
2. El Toro
3. Wicked Cyclone
4. Goliath (SFGAm.)
5. Skyrush
6. Boulder Dash
7. Fury 325
8. Leviathan
9. Voyage
10. Maverick

Boulder Dash had been my #1 bucket list coaster for many years, so I'm glad to finally knock that off today!

Snoo

The Legend
Been able to hit some parks the last few days, and still got Canobie Lake tomorrow. Assuming nothing there even comes close to this list, here is the update:

1. Lightning Rod
2. El Toro
3. Wicked Cyclone
4. Goliath (SFGAm.)
5. Skyrush
6. Boulder Dash
7. Fury 325
8. Leviathan
9. Voyage
10. Maverick

Boulder Dash had been my #1 bucket list coaster for many years, so I'm glad to finally knock that off today!

Look at you getting on coasters and stuff! :D

Ben

CF Legend
Why do people still rate Toro xD

Riding it again yesterday it has gotten rougher and it has three good hills and nothing else.

I just don't see how it can stand up to today's standards - there's some vastly superior rides in that list! Ie all of them!

Anac0nda

Mega Poster
1. Helix - Liseberg. The layout, the music, the lights...
2. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park. Dat first drop, plus endless airtime throughout the rest of the layout as well.
3. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa Park. Beyond awesome theming and great speed in layout.
4. iSpeed - Mirabilandia. Intensity.
5. Junker - PowerPark
6. Flug Der Dämonen - Heide Park
7. Taron - Phantasialand
8. Wildfire - Kolmården
9. Dragon Khan - Port Aventura
10. Piraten - Djurs Sommerland

ThomVD

Giga Poster
^ Good to see another Junker fan. Seems to be just me, CookieCoaster and you so far :p I like your list in general. Many fab coasters, though I'm not sure if I'll rank Flug above Taron and Wildfire ;)

Edward M

Strata Poster
After Fuji Q and Eejanaika fell through :emoji_cry: , I decided to go ahead and post my new top list. Was hoping to have more coasters on here from this trip, but I'm alright with just this. The trip has been too great to regret something like that. It was all about the Disney anyway! New in bold.

1. Lightning Rod
  2. X2
  3. Voyage
  4. Outlaw Run
  5. Fury 325
  6. Millennium Force
  7. Kumba
  8. El Toro
  9. Shambhala
  10. Beast
  11. Goliath @ SFOG
  12. Storm Chaser
  13. Kawasemi
  14. Maverick
  15. Nitro
  16. Iron Rattler
  17. Top Thrill Dragster
  18. Mako
  19. Twisted Colossus
  20. Rampage, AA
  21. Dragon Khan
  22. Xcelerator
  23. Space Mountain A, Disney World
  24. Space Mountain O, Disney World
  25. Lightning Run
  26. Hyperspace Mt, Disneyland
  27. Manta
  28. Diamondback
  29. Goliath SFMM
  30. Montu
  31. Hulk
  32. Afterburn
  33. Superman Krypton
  34. Thunder Dolphin
  35. Scream!

Last edited:

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
My massive trip is done, so I can finally post on here. New creds in bold (spoiler alert- there's a lot of bold on this list).
1. El Toro
2. Outlaw Run
3. Iron Rattler
4. Wicked Cyclone
5. The Voyage
6. Skyrush
7. Fury 325

8. Maverick
9. Intimidator 305
10. Goliath GAm
11. New Texas Giant
12. Leviathan
13. Phantom's Revenge

14. Storm Chaser
15. Superman the Ride
16. Mystic Timbers

17. Millennium Force
18. Boulder Dash
19. Top Thrill Dragster
20. Behemoth
21. Diamondback
22. Apollo's Chariot
23. Storm Runner
24. Fahrenheit
25. Phoenix
26. Goliath La Ronde
27. Nitro

28. Thunderbird
29. Intimidator
30. Afterburn

31. Banshee
32. Goliath Over Georgia
33. Superman Ride of Steel SFA
34. Prowler
35. Lightning Run
36. Kingda Ka
37. The Legend
38. Superman Krypton Coaster
39. Griffon
40. Raging Bull

Considering I have no idea what you're talking about I'm gonna say no. However, it was also a cloudy and slightly chilly day, so they may have turned it off.

We had no idea it was a thing until we got about halfway down the first drop and seen a wall of water coming for us. We thought it was a scare tactic and that it wouldn't reach us, but... It did. We came off soaked.