What's new

Parc Asterix | Tonnerre 2 Zeus | Tonnerre de Zeus renovation | 2022

Clrun4

Roller Poster
^ As it was voted f the best wooden coasters of Europe bu European Theme Park Awards in 1999, 2000 and 200, and same in the Mitch Hawker's Wooden Roller Coaster Poll, It is fair to say it has been really good at some point.

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
^ As it was voted f the best wooden coasters of Europe bu European Theme Park Awards in 1999, 2000 and 200, and same in the Mitch Hawker's Wooden Roller Coaster Poll, It is fair to say it has been really good at some point.

It was like Megaphobia which around 1996-2000 was amazing (from personal experience), CCI's just don't age well - and I can see TDZ prob has same issue!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
When did we do that CF Live to Asterix... was it 2017? I thought it was running pretty well then to be honest. Not the best, but by no means the worst. A simple retracking I think would be fine, no need for a full-on RMC conversion here.
Having said that, if RMC did get their hands on it, I'd be over there like a shot!

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
As it was voted f the best wooden coasters of Europe bu European Theme Park Awards in 1999, 2000 and 200, and same in the Mitch Hawker's Wooden Roller Coaster Poll, It is fair to say it has been really good at some point.
What was the competition in those days though? I don't think Europe's woodie game is particularly exceptional even now, so a poll isn't really the inspiration I'm looking for.
I'd rather hear some fond memories from people who loved it. Which moments on the ride have lost their mojo.

Clrun4

Roller Poster
What was the competition in those days though? I don't think Europe's woodie game is particularly exceptional even now, so a poll isn't really the inspiration I'm looking for.
I'd rather hear some fond memories from people who loved it. Which moments on the ride have lost their mojo.

You may have a point here.

As for my personnel experience, I can't remember exactly the frist time I rode Zeus, but il might be between 2005 and 2010, so when the ride was only 10 years old approximatively, and it was fab ! It has just huge airtimes and a great sense of speed, while also giving some stong lateral G's. And even if you were a bit shaken on this, it was on the good side. I mean, there was some rattle, as you would expect from a classic woodie.

It was very enjoyable at the time.

Last time I rode it was in August. The first bit was great, the retracked one. But as it is only the first drop and the that follows, the major part of the ride was painful. Maybe the fact to be drenched by the rain on the course didn't help, but it was too rough to be pleasant.

It's a shame because it's a long coaster, with a very decent drop, and full of airtimes and laterals, all you need for a good ol'woodie !

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
Would be very happy with CGI. When did you go on it, my memories are from 2015 and 2008.

2017 - I was quite looking forward to it due to the good reviews - those reviews being remembered more from the early 00's though

It just vibrated so badly all the way round, and some of the transitions were whiplash inducing! basically gave me an instant headache, so totally unrideable!

It has potential though...it was certainly fast, and full of head choppers - just soo uncomfortable.

Jcoasters

Mega Poster
I've never ridden it, but I think either GCI re tracking or RMC would be great options.

With their last major thrill coaster being added in 2012, I can see the delay to the Intamin being an immediate call to various manufactures to get something going. They know that adding both rides would majorly boost the park from what it already is, and Zeus is already built so there's no need to file an ecological permit. If RMC or GCI can get that short of a turnaround, it seems like a great business move.

Loulou30

Roller Poster
The Tonnerre de Zeus retracking is progressing!

a7XLZ.png

3Lexj.png

nN5m1.png

nN5m1.png

Matt N

CF Legend
I'm surprised they're still progressing with this, given that it seems like the sort of thing that CDA could easily cut due to COVID!

What are they doing, out of interest? Is it just a simple retrack, or are they adding or modifying elements in the future?

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
I'm surprised they're still progressing with this, given that it seems like the sort of thing that CDA could easily cut due to COVID!

What are they doing, out of interest? Is it just a simple retrack, or are they adding or modifying elements in the future?
Reading the CDA financial statements, they have everything planned out nicely, and suffered mainly on their ski resorts.
They also noted that all plans for development in the theme parks will continue, as pretty much all of them are bound to contracts and therefore those budgets were already calculated

Loulou30

Roller Poster
[QUOTE = "Matt N, message: 1084656, membre: 37675"]
Que font-ils, par intérêt? S'agit-il simplement d'un simple retour en arrière, ou ajoutent-ils ou modifient-ils des éléments à l'avenir?
[/CITATION]
Ils n'ajoutent pas de nouveaux éléments qu'ils reculent suivant la disposition actuelle ;)

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Que font-ils, par intérêt? S'agit-il simplement d'un simple retour en arrière, ou ajoutent-ils ou modifient-ils des éléments à l'avenir?
[/CITATION]
Ils n'ajoutent pas de nouveaux éléments qu'ils reculent suivant la disposition actuelle ;)
This is an English speaking forum. :)

Also, I can't see the pictures that you posted.

Rupert

Mega Poster
Really glad it’s being retracked - I had high hopes for it given its reputation but found it was on the too-rough side for me. Looking forward to trying again when the 2021 coaster is open!

Us3rmane

Mega Poster
There's some rumours about a full Gravity Group retrack for 2021 (in replacement of the blitz which got delayed) with new trains and some chagements on the layout the main modification might be the complete overhaul/removing of the helix on the left side of the lift hill

Matt N

CF Legend
Reading the CDA financial statements, they have everything planned out nicely, and suffered mainly on their ski resorts.
They also noted that all plans for development in the theme parks will continue, as pretty much all of them are bound to contracts and therefore those budgets were already calculated
[/CITATION]
There's some rumours about a full Gravity Group retrack for 2021 (in replacement of the blitz which got delayed) with new trains and some chagements on the layout the main modification might be the complete overhaul/removing of the helix on the left side of the lift hill
Bienvenue à Coasterforce et mecri pour les photos!

@Matt N / @CrashCoaster he says it's following the original course, just a retrack.

I'm glad to see this, it could genuinely be one of the very best woodies in Europe with a little TLC.
Ah right. Thanks for the clarification, guys!