What's new

Thorpe Park | Snoozebox hotel

Nic

Strata Poster
Yeah, looking at it, that £64 is for 2 days in the park with one night's hotel. That's a big "from" though. I bet that's a week day in their quietest part of the year based on about 100 people sharing the room.

This interested me:
- Evening entertainment with gigs, comedy, dvds & more
- Relax in Bar 360 - open til late - recover from your adrenaline-packed day
- Outside chill zone for a mini-party of your own
That's fine in peak times, but I can't imagine there being a lot going on when it's quiet. Oh, it also looks like breakfast is included, which I'm guessing is also in Bar 360.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I really like the name 'The Crash Pad', it's witty, it makes sense, it fits Thorpe's 'theme', yes, I love it.

I wouldn't say no to staying there if it's that cheap ;]

Chaz7

Roller Poster
Nic said:
This interested me:
That's fine in peak times, but I can't imagine there being a lot going on when it's quiet. Oh, it also looks like breakfast is included, which I'm guessing is also in Bar 360.

We need to remember that this temp' accommodation is going there to see whether or not a hotel is justified- so investors can see the popularity. So for the time being its pointless building another restaurant (complete with heating, kitchen, drink licence etc.) when 360 is down the path. When/if the hotel gets permission and is built then we'll see an Alton Towers Hotel style restaurant built within the walls.

Entertainment wise- during off peak times would be an issue BUT they do it at ATH and to justify construction of a new hotel (including an entertainment budget) I guess Thorpe Park should run entertainment the whole year, to show they can do it.

Martyn B

CF Legend
We need to remember that this temp' accommodation is going there to see whether or not a hotel is justified- so investors can see the popularity.

Surely Merlin will be using their own money, as apposed to attracting investors?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Wasn't the Chessington Hotel provided by Holiday Inn or something?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I'm intrigued. Skeptical, but intrigued.

Thorpe's audience is a dangerous one. If you look at parks around the world, and it's family parks that are the most successful. Parks like Thorpe don't do that well, they certainly aren't destination parks in the sense that people from worldwide or even nationwide flock to them. They rely on locals, and that means constant development to entice revisiting.

To add a hotel makes a statement - we are a destination. In Thorpe's case, as Nic has touched on, a hotel makes sense if there's a point to staying over. If the park opened late, had a decent bar, perhaps even a club? Would it potentially entice even those who do not live that far away to stay over, much alike it does us lot with GhosterForce? But other than this, I cannot see who would want, or need, to stay in the hotel.

I'd like to see Thorpe really develop into a park that is truly unique, a park which offers entertainment geared at the thrill-seeker audience after the park closes. But they won't. Even Alton, with it's proper resort hotels, has nothing to do after the park closes.

Bar 360 is actually a dump. It needs a lot of work. It's main problem is that the staff are clearly not trained properly as bar and restaurant staff. I bet they are the same staff who work in the rest of the park's catering. They almost always forget to bring out knifes and forks, they are slow, disinterested. The place is grubby and doesn't have a very nice bar/pub/restaurant atmosphere. It is just like you're at a crappy theme park. It NEEDS to change if they want to have the Dome open late for hotel stayers... I like the concept of the Dome being open late, though. They just need to change a few key things.

Nic

Strata Poster
Chaz7 said:
We need to remember that this temp' accommodation is going there to see whether or not a hotel is justified- so investors can see the popularity. So for the time being its pointless building another restaurant (complete with heating, kitchen, drink licence etc.) when 360 is down the path. When/if the hotel gets permission and is built then we'll see an Alton Towers Hotel style restaurant built within the walls
I wasn't suggesting otherwise, so if that's what you're implying, I'm not entirely sure where you've got that from? I completely agree that it makes sense to use the existing catering facilities for the Snoozebox.

To pick up from what Joey was saying, in terms of "who will stay here" surely they're counting on a huge chunk of their custom being hen/stag/birthday weekends? You already see a large number of these groups around the park, quite a lot of whom will probably be staying in low-cost accommodation somewhere for the weekend anyway. The trouble is, those sort of groups want to spend all day in the park, then ALL night on the town getting pissed cheaply before heading to a tacky club. There's no way that sort of audience are going to want to spend their weekend's main night out sat in the dome. Even if the entertainments were enough to entice them in, the drink prices will be high enough to put them off. If there was a decent town close enough then maybe, but I can't see Staines being enough of a pull, and I'm guessing transport would be too much of a faff to spend the night in Central London. Unless they're counting on clueless people who don't know London to think that it would be close enough to pop into central? Hmmm, possibly?

I'm still struggling to see how this can compete with a day's park entry using bogof vouchers, a night's accommodation in a town centre travelodge, and a night of cheap booze in Wetherspoons/Lloyds etc?

marc

CF Legend
You can get a room for 2 for less than that, but if it included breakfast then it's not to bad. £62 a person.

Nic

Strata Poster
For argument's sake, if you did BOGOF entry for two days for 4 people, that'd be £180. Add to that breakfast for 4 in 360, I don't know how much, but let's say £10 a head (including a drink)? £40. That leaves the accommodation costing a total of £36 - £9 per person. Doesn't sound quite so dreadful when you put it like that.

marc

CF Legend
Only problem with staying there is that there is nothing to do at night. No where to get food no shops nothing.

Nic

Strata Poster
marc said:
Only problem with staying there is that there is nothing to do at night. No where to get food no shops nothing.

On Thorpe's website, in fact, earlier on this page even...

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^That's a "from..." price though, isn't it? Those prices will be mid-week in September or another equally quiet period.

It will be interesting to see how much they charge for a weekend in August. I can see them perhaps keeping the prices the same, but on a room-only basis.

rich210uk

Mega Poster
One of our main gripes with Thorpe Park is SOME of the other guests. Go to TP during the weekend or peak times and your be greeted by guests, spitting, queue jumping, fighting, climbing out of moving rides and generally being disrespectful to property and other guests. I can’t see these Crash Pads lasting 5 minutes if the sort of people staying in them are the same people as mentioned above. They’re going to be destroyed and to add to that if they are cleaned and prepared by the staff which serve you in the food outlets and shops then it’s only going to worse. I’m definitely not tarring everyone with the same brush but some just do not care! Although by the sounds of it, the trouble makers will be priced out of it!

Lofty

CF Legend
Yeah, the people you're naming mostly live around the local areas and will be too busy drinking White Lightning in a local park on the nighttime and roughing it in a bramble bush before they book a room for the night...

Martyn B

CF Legend
Work is underway for "The Crash Pad"

154111_10151386096255867_408592305_n.jpg

558968_10151292701665867_611617743_n.png