What's new

Thorpe Park | Derren Brown's Ghost Train | VR Attraction

elephant58

Hyper Poster
Re: Thorpe Park construction?

cjbrandy said:
Smithy said:
What was the B+M that Wardley wanted, was it stand-up or floorless? Could be an outside shout if he couldn't get it built at Alton he may have some input into getting it into Thorpe instead?

I'd prefer a hyper but any B+M would do me tbh.

Wardley wanted a stand up in Katanga Canyon which is what The Smiler was originally going to be. He wanted a stand up because he doesn't think that B&M floorless coasters are very exciting.

On the video you directed me to, he only says that the stand-up idea was his FAVOURITE, NOT that it was 'what the Smiler was originally going to be'. There were numerous plans for different concepts - and they picked the Smiler.

Anyway, it would be nice if it turns out to be a B&M hyper, however.....if the ceiling height is currently 50m, what would the marketing gimmick be? There has to be one.....

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

elephant58 said:
cjbrandy said:
Smithy said:
What was the B+M that Wardley wanted, was it stand-up or floorless? Could be an outside shout if he couldn't get it built at Alton he may have some input into getting it into Thorpe instead?

I'd prefer a hyper but any B+M would do me tbh.

Wardley wanted a stand up in Katanga Canyon which is what The Smiler was originally going to be. He wanted a stand up because he doesn't think that B&M floorless coasters are very exciting.

On the video you directed me to, he only says that the stand-up idea was his FAVOURITE, NOT that it was 'what the Smiler was originally going to be'. There were numerous plans for different concepts - and they picked the Smiler.

Anyway, it would be nice if it turns out to be a B&M hyper, however.....if the ceiling height is currently 50m, what would the marketing gimmick be? There has to be one.....

They won't build a hyper until that limit is lifted. They absolutely have to build taller than The Big One to attract the media and make it the UKs tallest.

jj23w

Hyper Poster

That's why they chose to build it in 2016 because the height ceiling goes up. No way hose will they buy a second hand ride like mantis it won't sell like hot cakes.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

^I thought the ceiling height went up in 2018?

^^I hope Thorpe are able to appeal it. I know they probably can't, but just imagine one up to 80m.....

jj23w

Hyper Poster

I'm just basing this off something I saw on TPM a little while ago. They would most probably appeal with something like oh we are going to the top park of the ride white to fit in with the clouds what they originally did with stealth. But the thing is with it being on a reclaimed island it may have to be a certain height. I would love if it was done by B&M to have shambala colours.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

I've always thought that Leviathan colours would work well for Thorpe, with the aquatic theme. But grey supports though.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Ethan said:
tomahawk said:
Did you people really just suggest Thorpe get Mantis.

I'm done. Just...wow, I'm done.

Teasing people for making stupid comments? Ironic, coming from you.

But Thorpe Park would never buy Mantis. Plus it wouldn't really bring anything to the park!

Attempting to be witty and make a jab at me? Coming from you, I'm **** shocked.

In a real question, why does everything that goes to a Merlin park have to be marketed as unique, or first, or what have it? What's wrong with just a standard, non worlds first coaster? Why does everything have to be so exclusive. They market a family ride as the scariest ride ever built, pretty sure they could market a boomerang pretty **** well.

Can someone also explain why Brits are so petrified of wooden coasters? Obviously I'm referring to non enthusiasts. I know they've done surveys where people say they look unsafe, but surely a few dumb asses shouldn't be enough to not build a much cheaper, "unique" experience that doesn't really exist in that area.

jj23w

Hyper Poster

I know at IAAPA they have looking at intamin prefabs and hypers. The thing with Thorpe is they can only build wooden coasters on the main land because it would sink on the reclaimed land.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

tomahawk said:
Ethan said:
tomahawk said:
Did you people really just suggest Thorpe get Mantis.

I'm done. Just...wow, I'm done.

Teasing people for making stupid comments? Ironic, coming from you.

But Thorpe Park would never buy Mantis. Plus it wouldn't really bring anything to the park!

In a real question, why does everything that goes to a Merlin park have to be marketed as unique, or first, or what have it? What's wrong with just a standard, non worlds first coaster? Why does everything have to be so exclusive. They market a family ride as the scariest ride ever built, pretty sure they could market a boomerang pretty **** well.

Can someone also explain why Brits are so petrified of wooden coasters? Obviously I'm referring to non enthusiasts. I know they've done surveys where people say they look unsafe, but surely a few dumb asses shouldn't be enough to not build a much cheaper, "unique" experience that doesn't really exist in that area.

Cos Merlin like to attract the lowest common denominator and seemingly don't think that producing a park of quality gets the people in (see how they reacted to 2012 for Thorpe and blaming Swarm for some reason)...

I'm sure Joey and furie have had a good stab at answering the GP issue of wooden coasters recently, but it's mostly down to experiences with it... Given that the majority of GP will have only experienced the Blackpool coasters, which are old and rough, or the likes of Stampida and Gwazi which are both ****, it doesn't really come as a surprise that there is a distrust about wooden coasters (even with Megaphobia, though as it's in deepest darkest Wales, I doubt the majority have visited it)...

When you then compare that the US tend to use wooden materials a lot more as a basis for construction rather than a last resort, and you have an interesting social convention towards wooden coasters...

Of course, it would probably so easily change if one park built a GCI, but Merlin clearly aren't going to risk it because they're all business strategies and that bollocks, and none of the other parks can seemingly afford one...

Ethan

Strata Poster

tomahawk said:

Awh, it's so sweet when kids get angry over little comments. I mean, you are twelve right?

With Thorpe Park's new target market, I doubt we'll see a wooden coaster, plus the space they use up is far greater than steel coasters! Also I doubt it would suit the park's skyline.

I know everyone says all the GP hate woodies, but they really don't.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

8DMiiip.jpg

Something very similar to this would kick ass. Does anyone think one of these would make a better coaster for Thorpe than a B&M hyper?

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Ethan said:
tomahawk said:

Awh, it's so sweet when kids get angry over little comments. I mean, you are twelve right?

With Thorpe Park's new target market, I doubt we'll see a wooden coaster, plus the space they use up is far greater than steel coasters! Also I doubt it would suit the park's skyline.

I know everyone says all the GP hate woodies, but they really don't.

Your go to argument, "What, you're 12 right?" Go be a cun/t somewhere else. I'm tired of you trolling every time I post in something not in America.

Ethan

Strata Poster

Me go elsewhere? Honey I've been here longer than you.
You tease other CF members and try and make them feel small, and then when somebody picks up on it, you flip.

I'm not perfect but at least I know it. You seem to annoy most other people too, so sort out yourself before you call people "c*nts" and make yourself look more of a child than you already are.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Lecturing me about rubbing people the wrong way is hilarious. Thank you though, I'll be sure to tell everyone they are wonderful and their opinions are perfect and they all deserve a **** trophy for contributing to the world.

Ethan

Strata Poster

tomahawk said:
Lecturing me about rubbing people the wrong way is hilarious. Thank you though, I'll be sure to tell everyone they are wonderful and their opinions are perfect and they all deserve a **** trophy for contributing to the world.

Whatever you say, you're not perfect.

Maybe agreeing with people for a change will do you good, you don't have to bash members down with every post. Besides, if you're so perfect in your ways, you should be sensible on the forums, not calling members who have been here loner than you "c*nts".

Smithy

Strata Poster

Or, how about you don't act like a rude berk to people and then complain when people pick you up on it? It's not 'trolling', it's rightly calling you out for being rude to people. You come across as a right arse at times for no reason whatsoever and I'm sure you're not like that at all.

Nail hit right on the head earlier on with regards to Gp distrusting wooden rides, unfortunately Merlin makes money and world first rides make money as a usp.

Smithy

Strata Poster

jj23w said:
That's why they chose to build it in 2016 because the height ceiling goes up. No way hose will they buy a second hand ride like mantis it won't sell like hot cakes.

Does the height ceiling go up in 2016? You got a source for that as I've not heard that before?

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

I'd pick an intamin hyper over a B&M for the stronger airtime and forces but I feel like a B&M would be perfect for Thorpe Park. Who knows, only time will tell.

Ethan

Strata Poster

^^ I think it goes up in 2018? Either that or Thorpe Park just chose to plan the height of the second coaster at 164ft?

I read somewhere that Stealth could only be built on the condition nothing taller than it could be built in 10 years? I think :p

Smithy said:
Or, how about you don't act like a rude berk to people and then complain when people pick you up on it? It's not 'trolling', it's rightly calling you out for being rude to people. You come across as a right arse at times for no reason whatsoever and I'm sure you're not like that at all.

Not sure who this is aimed to, guessing it's not me because I haven't accused anyone of trolling!

jj23w

Hyper Poster

Smithy it's been talked about on TPM quite abit. Tom and other guy can you stop being immature please thankyou.