What's new

Thorpe Park | Derren Brown's Ghost Train | VR Attraction

Martyn B

CF Legend
Re: Thorpe Park construction?

Am I the only one that doesn't get this height restriction the park has?

The planes that fly over are thousands of feet in the air...

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

I'm sure I heard somewhere that the parks height restrictions have been pushed up to 300 something feet?

Ethan

Strata Poster

^ That's after 2018, isn't it? I'm not 100% sure...

I don't think the height restriction is purely for planes flying above, because like somebody mentioned just now, they're still very high up when they fly over the park. I assume it's just because although the locals get along well with the park, they don't want 400ft rides popping up every 10 years.

jj23w

Hyper Poster

It is saying on the development plans 2016 for over 150ft. I seem to remember ages ago B&M said that no one even well brought out park could afford a 4D so they finding ways technology wise to make it cheaper.

Henry

Roller Poster

What about something similar to Nitro at SFGAdv to go around the back of the park? Has it been ruled out that it isn't a relocated coaster like the SBNO Time Machine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

I honestly don't think Thorpe or Merlin would buy a second hand coaster with no selling point.
"Come ride are new coaster, it has less loops than colossus but it's still an ok ride".

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

^So true...also makes Colossus a little redundant as (what would be) a completely inferior looper...

Visited Thorpe on Monday...and I'm afraid I noticed no signs whatsoever of any construction. After purchasing more parks, Merlin appears to be breaking from the tradition of new coaster every 3 years, and instead, pushing back to a 4 year schedule (as has occurred with Gardaland).

The worrying aspect of this is ABL therefore, was supposed to be reimbursement for this.

Anyway, in other news:

-Slammer continues to be open regularly, without downtime! 2/2 this season - wasn't quite worth the 5 year wait to see it open and ride it, but still a solid, unique and fun ride. Maybe SFNE gave them a few parts?

-Both Colossus and Stealth were running just ONE train a piece....and therefore, wait times were posted at 60+ minutes for the duration of the day. At around 5, Stealth was posted at an 85 minute wait, with Colossus situated at 95....obscene. To be fair, apparently, they were experiencing problems with one of the trains (as was mentioned in a sign), but surely they should have 3 trains anyway? Either way, if the problems persist, maybe new trains are on the way?

-My visit really stressed the need for a flagship ride. Having ridden all the coasters, I can't honestly say any single ride there makes me want to return to reride (Ok, maybe Stealth just since it's so short). The rides are good, but there's nothing excellent.

A big part of me wants Thorpe to become more 'American', and deliver a few more 'insane' coaster/flat ride experiences that would really appeal to the public, or at least catch their eyes (see Stealth's reception!). These are just pipe dreams, but a starflyer, a Falcon's Fury-esque drop tower, or even a B&M hyper would be the talk of the chavs and have such a unique appeal. Oh sorry, Merlin doesn't do flat rides does it....

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team

The island behind Swarm has looked like a construction site since 2012, I doubt these recent observations mean much. I don't expect Thorpe to reveal any plans until at least next year.

Whilst we wait, my money's on their new coaster being a B+M hyper. If you look across all the Merlin parks, the majority of their recent coasters have been B+M's : Raptor, Swarm, Krake, Shambala, Flug Der Daemonen, and Gardaland's 2015 Dive Machine. The only exception to Merlin's B+M bulk buy was The Smiler, which proved to be quite the problematic coaster in it's opening year.

The only B+M coaster types that UK Merlin park's don't have are:
- Stand up
- Floorless
- Hyper.

A Floorless would be too similar in layout to Colossus. Stand Up would not have a selling point due to Shockwave at Drayton Manor.

A hyper would be a new ride type for the UK Merlin parks, and if they build it tall enough, they can have the 'UK's Tallest coaster' selling point too. It makes a lot of sense. They have the space, and less height restrictions on their builds.

You could argue that it would also suit their new 'family friendly' vibe as it wouldn't have inversions.

An RMC would be amazing, but Merlin clearly have a strong relationship with B+M and a reluctant approach towards wood.

Smithy

Strata Poster

What was the B+M that Wardley wanted, was it stand-up or floorless? Could be an outside shout if he couldn't get it built at Alton he may have some input into getting it into Thorpe instead?

I'd prefer a hyper but any B+M would do me tbh.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

Smithy said:
What was the B+M that Wardley wanted, was it stand-up or floorless? Could be an outside shout if he couldn't get it built at Alton he may have some input into getting it into Thorpe instead?

I'd prefer a hyper but any B+M would do me tbh.

Wardley wanted a stand up in Katanga Canyon which is what The Smiler was originally going to be. He wanted a stand up because he doesn't think that B&M floorless coasters are very exciting.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

Mantis removal? Wardley wants a stand up?

Half Life 3 confirmed.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

GuyWithAStick said:
Mantis removal? Wardley wants a stand up?

Half Life 3 confirmed.

?

What are you talking about?

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

^ I mean, maybe Thorpe will get Mantis. Unlikely, but possible.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

GuyWithAStick said:
^ I mean, maybe Thorpe will get Mantis. Unlikely, but possible.

Oh right, sorry. If Thorpe were to get Mantis (extremely unlikely), I would want them to convert it to a floorless coaster because rider comfort > intensity. I've read that the reason Mantis is unpleasant for many is because the positive G forces drain the blood to the lower leg.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Wardley word is LAW!

Did you people really just suggest Thorpe get Mantis.

I'm done. Just...wow, I'm done.

Ethan

Strata Poster

tomahawk said:

Teasing people for making stupid comments? Ironic, coming from you.

But Thorpe Park would never buy Mantis. Plus it wouldn't really bring anything to the park!

Smithy

Strata Poster

tomahawk said:
Wardley word is LAW!

Both people who mentioned it used the word unlikely.

Shall I use it in a sentence for you?

It's unlikely that Tomahawk's next post will be worthwhile.

See? Simple!

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

Smithy said:
tomahawk said:
Wardley word is LAW!

Both people who mentioned it used the word unlikely.

Shall I use it in a sentence for you?

It's unlikely that Tomahawk's next post will be worthwhile.

See? Simple!

Lol

Me and Guywithastick aren't stupid and we know that the odds of Mantis going to Thorpe are practically zero. Like Ethan said, it wouldn't bring anything to the park and it's not very marketable at all. IMO, I can never see Merlin getting second hand rides and coasters unless they are from another Merlin park.