What's new

Thorpe Park | Derren Brown's Ghost Train | VR Attraction

jj23w

Hyper Poster
Re: Thorpe Park construction?

Would like it to look like shambala but more intense and better.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

The idea of a Hyper at Thorpe has been discussed here several times, and every time a big "but..." arises: Heathrow Airport. OK, Thorpe has Stealth, but surely they would be under some height restrictions?

Not that it matters much, in the end. If Helix at Liseberg proved anything, it's that launches aren't just gimmicks: they are excellent ways to get a train up to speed without tall lift hills. I'd love to see a Helix-ish multi launcher at Thorpe. It would be less dominant in the skyline (which is a huge plus in a country so plagued with NIMBY-ism as the UK), yet still deliver great speeds and wonderful airtime/inversions.

A Woodie would also be great, of course. And I wouldn't say no to a Hyper either.

jj23w

Hyper Poster

I think it said in the development plans ages ago don't quote me but they can build a +150ft coaster round about 2016. My ideas for what the parks are gettin is quite funny I think Thorpe will be getting a B&M if not a woodie. Alton Towers are getting a B&M because smiler was is in its place. This one is a shocker that Blackpool pleasure beach will get the mack megacoaster.

Ethan

Strata Poster

Although a coaster close to the ground would be great, I would imagine Thorpe would want to take advantage of the full 164ft limit perhaps?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

^That depends, I guess. Of course, height is thrilling and highly marketable, but remember that in order to lift the top of a 50-metre coaster in place, you need a crane taller than 60 metres or so, with high lift capacity, and those don't come cheap. You also need 50 metres of supports, and footers capable of withstanding their weight. Building closer to the ground is a lot cheaper, and gives way less trouble with the neighbours.

Ethan

Strata Poster

^ Yeah, what you say about cost etc is all other reasons not to, but like you also said, it's easier to market!

To me a 160ft coaster will probably sound more exciting to a member of the public than a coaster that stays near the ground.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

^And where would that fit exactly? WHERE ALL THE FOUNTAINS ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

Alton Towers are getting a B&M because smiler was is in its place.

Any FACTUAL sources for that piece of b******t?

shawnoc

Mega Poster

If the next coaster at Thorpe Park is limited to 164ft I think they may go with the woodie option. They could market it as the Uk's tallest wooden roller coaster. A woodie would be my favoured option due to what impact it would have on the skyline from the dome. If they go for an out and back layout the wooden structure would look heat withe the trees around the back of Calyso Quay and Canada Creek. I can almost see the lift hill rising behind Stealth on the new island (connected treasure island) and the first drop twisting or dropping to the run towards Canada Creek with air time hills down this stretch into an at least 90 degree turnaround back towards the new island.
As for manufacturer I would love a traditional woodie GCI with I slain speed and airtime like White Lightning (awsome coaster). But I can see Thorpe Park going for an RMC looping coaster like Outlaw Run. A new coaster at Thorpe without inversions is almost in heard of these days.

shawnoc

Mega Poster

I think it was mentioned in their MTP, when they pitched the rough roller coaster layouts. I think it might have penciled for the coaster date of 2015 but that has been pushed back as it seems. Stealth was built at the ceiling height from the original plan and Thorpe stated that it would be signature ride for height, don't quote me on that.

Ethan

Strata Poster

elephant58 said:

Rude.

Actually it's quite a circulated rumour. Plus I'm pretty sure it's fact that The Smiler was moved forward ahead of schedule.

^ And yes I think you're right. I believe Stealth was only supposed to be about 111ft tall, however they were allowed to make it taller on the condition that they painted the tallest part white (to blend in), and if it was the tallest structure they build until 2018.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

Ethan said:
elephant58 said:

Rude.

Actually it's quite a circulated rumour. Plus I'm pretty sure it's fact that The Smiler was moved forward ahead of schedule.

^ And yes I think you're right. I believe Stealth was only supposed to be about 111ft tall, however they were allowed to make it taller on the condition that they painted the tallest part white (to blend in), and if it was the tallest structure they build until 2018.

Yeah, I've heard the rumour. Sorry I came across as rude, but like you've just stated, it's a rumour. To see someone adamant that the next Alton coaster WILL be a B&M is just, well, sorry, ignorant.

If you've read 'Tales from the Towers' (which is a fantastic book), you will know that Merlin's Chief Developer brought up the suggestion of an 11-looping coaster, for Alton's next project. This was changed to 14 inversions, after John Wardley discussed it further to the development team. It also says that it'd been in planning for many years, though not much information is given on this. :?

So, sorry to sound rude, but he was stating it as fact, when it isn't.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

elephant58 said:
Yeah, I've heard the rumour. Sorry I came across as rude, but like you've just stated, it's a rumour. To see someone adamant that the next Alton coaster WILL be a B&M is just, well, sorry, ignorant.

If you've read 'Tales from the Towers' (which is a fantastic book), you will know that Merlin's Chief Developer brought up the suggestion of an 11-looping coaster, for Alton's next project. This was changed to 14 inversions, after John Wardley discussed it further to the development team. It also says that it'd been in planning for many years, though not much information is given on this. :?

So, sorry to sound rude, but he was stating it as fact, when it isn't.

On the utube channel Theme Park Worldwide (can't link because I'm on my phone) there is a Q&A with Wardley where he says that The Smiler was originally gonna be a B&M stand up in Katanga Canyon which would dive into a hole like Oblivion. Maybe it will be AT's next coaster. It's an interesting video where Wardley also explains how Merlin only want coasters with unique selling points so he can't build a woodie.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

^Hmmm.....I've heard of the B&M stand-up being 'one of my favourite ideas', according to Wardley and he never actually said that SW7 was originally going to be that (thanks for the video, though :) ). He also claims he tried to bring up the woodie concept again for the 2013 coaster, but he was outvoted, again. :( A lot of the decision making comes down to Varney, I think, who Wardley blames for throwing out all of his woodie ideas. He also had a vertical launch plan for the 2010 coaster, as well.

However, I have never seen any evidence to support the 'SW7 was swapped for a B&M 4D, because B&M weren't ready'. Find me some clear-cut evidence that it actually happened and I'll happily apologise and accept I'm wrong. :)

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster

Quick thought, does anyone think we will hear anything about this project this year? Wasn't the smiler teased 2 years in advance? Also Swarm was teased relatively early too, if I remember correctly. Also here's an interesting fact, yesterday I saw somebody ask on Thorpe's Facebook wall, asking about the next project, and they said keep your eyes on this page. Obviously this is far from concrete conformation, but surely it would suggest some information, no matter how small is coming soon.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

^Only if it's actually going to happen and there not just clearing trees for the sake of it! Although, their Facebook response sounds promising, fingers crossed.....is it too late for this to open in 2015?

Ethan

Strata Poster

Umm I suppose it depends how fast they submit an application, and get approval. I don't see it being impossible?

elephant58

Hyper Poster

^I hope it isn't impossible. If it was any other park, I'd think it could happen, but Merlin like to market their rides over, like a couple of years.....