What's new

Themeing

JTRCBOY97

Roller Poster
Im having a argument about what themeing is better out of the old horror themeing of nemesis at alton towers - or the volcano themeing of nemesis inferno at thorpe park? i still seem to think the fake blood and dragon theme at alton towers is way better! :?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Hmm, I can foresee a flaming, but as you're a fellow Hampshire resident, I will reply with respect. :p

Firstly, the Nemesis theme isn't a dragon. In a nutshell, during routine excavation work (why the ride is in a big hole) at Alton Towers, they unearthed a dormant monster (the station) which they pinned down with steel to contain it (the track). The ride is you escaping the monster.

Ultimately, the story of Nemesis is superior to Inferno's yarn. The actual physical theme of Inferno is better imo, but overall, Nemesis edges it for me because it covers the station & track design and the reason it's in a big hole. (It's actually in a big hole due to planning laws, but meh, it works!)

Also when writing out topics, please can you make the titles a little more descriptive. Thanks :D

I can't even compare the two.. Nemesis just looks amazing in every sense of the word. The pit, the theming, it's actually amazing. Inferno is a bit meh, I didn't see anything spectacular about it at all.

JTRCBOY97

Roller Poster
the only big bit on nfern ois the volcano where you queue and get on the ride and nothing else really where as nemesis has themeing around the whole track! :)

rickydoodle

Roller Poster
I love the original Nemesis theme - just because it was so damn different and original.

I think anything that starts 'something' is regarded to as the best. Even films that have great sequels - the original is usually considered 'the best' 99% of the time.

The volcano theme is great on inferno, but it can only look hap-hazard next to Nemesis. Where Nemesis has improved with age, Inferno grows more and more tired every season.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Personally, I find the original Nemesis theming a bit tacky - I think at some point they gave the contract to a local school and let their year 7's loose with bamboo canes and papier mache. Is it a giant mutant spider? Is it an alien? Is it a dragon? We don't know - it's just a monster. A papier mache monster in a pit. Someone also got a cracking deal in dodgy coloured red paint, because sometimes I think it looks more salmon pink than blood red.

But, that tackiness is what makes it special! The made-at-home look is for me, why the original is so unique - in a world of big shiny new machines that impress but have no character. Nemesis has a story, a soul, an actual THEME, and yes...a dodgy looking monster in a pit. :--D

Nemesis Inferno theme = a volcano. End of story (and even that Thorpe can't manage to get right - the moisture and red lights were hardly working at all this season :cry: )

T0M

Hyper Poster
^ Trust me, in the mid 90s it was far from tacky - although looking at your age, you should remember how effective and scary it was!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Tom Green said:
Is there a senior meet up on CF? :lol:

There was one planned, but Nic's arthritis was playing up, Sue hadn't put enough lemonade in her lager top and was nursing a killer hangover and I was in Tesco trying to steal a frozen chicken under my hat while distracting them by pointing at woman and telling them that "when I was young, men never wore their hair that long!"

We were going to try for next year, but too many funerals to go to...

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
furie said:
There was one planned, but Nic's arthritis was playing up, Sue hadn't put enough lemonade in her lager top and was nursing a killer hangover and I was in Tesco trying to steal a frozen chicken under my hat while distracting them by pointing at woman and telling them that "when I was young, men never wore their hair that long!"

We were going to try for next year, but too many funerals to go to...

OMG Furie you're amazing!!!

:--D

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'd take you up on the bet Tom, easy money for me ;)

Erm, anyway, aren't we supposed to be discussing and comparing the theming of [yawn] Nemesis and [yawn] Nemesis: Inferno?

Rather than Sue's Mysterious theming?

T0M

Hyper Poster
Martyn B said:
Tom Green said:
^ Trust me, in the mid 90s it was far from tacky

Yeah but you were around 10 years old, it was probably awe inspiring to someone that young.

Nah, I'd still be pretty awe inspired by it now if I saw it for the first time. You just get used to things after time. Anyone that visits the park 10+ times a season surely can't still expect anything about Alton Towers to still feel magical/special?

Martyn B

CF Legend
^ I think you missed my point. You were saying it was far from tacky in the mid 90's, but at the age of ten, you probably wouldn't notice something like that being tacky anyway.