What's new

THE WORLD CUP!!!

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
It's right around the corner & I thought I'd beat Dave to the punch. :p
JK, he's creating a World Cup fantasy football or some such topic (with prizes for the top three players), so this one will be the discussion topic.
Let's start off with the following:
Will the tournament be a success? Can South Africa pull it off? What are your predictions? Who do you think will win it all? Do the Yanks stand a chance on June 12th? Which team will win the Group-of-Death? Who has the easiest road to the final stages? Who will be the tournament MVP? Who will win the Golden Boot? Etc. etc.
Once the tournament kicks off we'll start discussing the games, plays, performances, controversies, etc.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
MVP?

Please, Player of the Tournament is the official name ;)

Erm yeah, England won't win... I'd like to be disproved but I really cannot see it happening considering how strong Spain are... I need to have a look at the final squad lists before I make my full prediction...

As long as the bloody cheating French don't win the thing I'm happy...

robbeal

Hyper Poster
Yeeaaahhhh the World Cup's nearly here!! I've got a week off work during the group stages too!

It should be a good one. Granted I can't see England succeeding or anything, I think we'll be quarter-finals at best again, but there's a lot of teams on an even keel this year. I don't think Brazil have got as strong a team as recent years. Spain are strong, but I still struggle to see them as anything but perennial bridesmaids. Italy could be a good bet. Portugal should show better than in recent years (excluding Euro04). I've always had a soft spot for Holland too, so my backing will be behind the Dutch, as well as England obviously. I might have to break out the Holland shirt!

Ben

CF Legend
I've only managed so far to make sure I'm away for one England match, the first, and I'm being made to hunt it out to watch ANYWAY, which is not good for me. Last time I was out the country for the entire thing and it was AMAZING. Admittedly, I'm a *little* bit more into Football now that I *COULD* watch at least the England matches and not want to die, but, it's when I look at the schedules and see blocks of weeks with three matches a day that I just want to die.

So, yeah, I can tolerate Football a lot more than I could before, but, I still can't see me getting into this. It's the same with Rugby, I just don't like internationals as much as club games, they're not as fab. So, I'll watch maybe a few England games, half just to perve on Lampard though, and that'll be it.

Summary : I'm very passive towards it this year.

CMonster

Giga Poster
Nike has a pretty epic ad for the world cup this year.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idLG6jh23yE[/youtube]

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Well, we had a whip-around at 6th form and I got drawn Honduras :p So come on Honduras :p If they do the worst out of all the teams, I still get £8...:D

England won't go all the way, so all hopes gone there...My money is on Spain this year around.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I don't give a toss about football, in fact I hate it.

I've put a bet on England to win because every bet I've placed this year has not come in :D

Hopefully England wont get past the group stages so those who don't enjoy football and love quiet pubs can have a longer, more peaceful summer.

If you enjoy football, good luck to whoever you're supporting.

jokerman

Giga Poster
Will the tournament be a success?
Yes, I can't see too much going wrong.

What are your predictions? Who do you think will win it all?
Group A winners - France, fairly obvious choice
Group A runners up - Uruguay. Tough one, but my gut tells me for some reason

Group B winners - Argentina, obvious
Group B runners up - Nigeria Again, tough. Nigeria, Greece and South Korea have all had succes in the last 10 years, bu I'm gonna plump for Nigeria, based on their most recent form.

Group C winners - England, you would have thought
Group C runners up - USA, since they now take football seriously

Group D winners - Germany, clearly
Group D runners up – Ghana, again based on the Cup of Nations performance

Group E winners – Netherlands, a team that I have always really liked for some reason
Group E runners up – Denmark. It’ll be tight between them and Cameroon, but I think they’ll edge it

Group F winners – Italy, seems obvious
Group F runners up – Paraguay. I’ll admit, I found this one the toughest to call, so I’ve taken a wild stab at it

Group G winners – Brazil. Not the strongest team they’ve ever had, but still formidable enough to come through
Group G runners up – Portugal. As much as I’d love to see Ivory Coast take it away from them, I think they’ll be able to do it.

Group H winners – Spain. Probably still the best team in the world at the moment
Group H runners up – Chile. The best of the rest.

So next round looks like:

France vs Nigeria
England vs Ghana
Germany vs USA
Argentina vs Uruguay
Netherlands vs Paraguay
Brazil vs Chile
Italy vs Denmark
Spain vs Portugal

Quarter Finals

Netherlands vs Brazil
France vs England
Germany vs Argentina
Italy vs Spain

Semi finals

Netherlands vs England
Germany vs Spain

Final

Netherlands vs Spain

Spain win.

I’m not sure about the Netherlands going so far, but I sort of would like them to do it. They’re a good team.

CMonster

Giga Poster
jokerman said:
Group C runners up - USA, since they now take football seriously.

We've always taken football seriously. We've just started taking soccer seriously, though. :wink:

Pierre

Strata Poster
^Boring.

Its that point of the year again when I've got caught up in the hype and I'm 100% confident we'll win it... I'm just ohping we get past the quarter finals. I can't believe Brazil have left out Ronaldinho AND Pato :\ Benzema for France was a bit of a shock too.

I think a lot of people are over-rating Spain but that could work for them because I think too many countries will show them too much respect.

Dave

CF Legend
Spain are still a major contender for winning the competition though! Aren't as over-rated as England who still look sloppy and bad in possession.

Holland has a good chance long as they keep tight and contain their total football ideology. I hope Australia do well again, did good in 2006. France should falter at the group stage as they really lacked anything, except a hand to get in the World Cup.

Lain

Giga Poster
I think England have the best chance they've had for 20 years. Spain are obvious favourites, and Brazil are always in the mix.

Brazil's squad doesn't seem as strong as it usually is though, and I'd love to see the Ivory Coast put in an excellent home continent performance, and see Brazil finish 2nd, resulting in a Spain/Brazil second round game.

Mmm.