What's new

The Weather

marc

CF Legend
I hope you got a low energy one that's kind to the environment as the last thing you want to do it cause global warming :)

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
ECG said:
Jordanovichy said:
How is it even possible to get around when it's like that? Your location is 'The Big Apple' but I am assuming you are outside New York? I know New York gets snow, often a lot, but that much? Wouldn't the whole city grind to a halt?
I live in the suburbs about five miles from Manhattan and NYC gets a lot of snow (although not usually continuously like this year) on a regular basis, so the city is always prepared for it. Even when we've gotten 30+ inches in a single day it's been a bit difficult to get around, but nothing ever grinds to a halt because of a snow storm. The only storm that has ever really affected the city to that kind of extent has been Hurricane Sandy.

I am rather impressed :p 5 inches of snow is enough to literally close London, all the airports shut, buses stop, even the underground closes! Schools turn kids away.

I suppose the simple fact is we aren't ready for it. I took this photo January 2013, the last time I had a snow day and you can see how little snow there was.

29588_3944043850990_128230114_n.jpg

The roads were clear! Don't get me wrong, the snow day was great but it wasn't really needed.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
This week at work has been far too busy. Fighting a losing battle with faulty traffic lights, roads flooded everywhere. I don't think I've ever worked so hard in my life.

On a personal note, I've not been affected by any flooding in my town although there is a large puddle outside my home so i have to time my movements carefully to avoid be splashed.

Genuine sympathy for anybody who has been flooded. It must be horrible.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
My area hasn't been affected. Went for a walk around some of the local villages though last weekend and they've had it pretty bad.

ebeqymud.jpg

u5ehasen.jpg

a4yhytez.jpg

mepyjeny.jpg

edy5y4a6.jpg

marc

CF Legend
We are lucky was well seeing we can see the sea. No flooding yet but then again they cleaned out out drains after the flood months ago.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Spent another couple of hours shoveling snow again today since we got two more inches overnight. We're expecting another 3 inches tomorrow and then more snow on Tuesday, so I'm getting quite the workout so far this year just trying to keep the driveway clear. It's already snowed two or more inches seven times this year for a total of nearly 53 inches. If it keeps going like this we'll easily reach the six foot mark before spring rolls around.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Probably the best place to put this.

Southern and eastern England has seen 'very high levels' of pollution the last couple of days Thanks to a load of dust travelling North from the Sahara and pollution from the near continent. This has lead to a multitude of headlines as if the world was ending. We've been told we mustn't go out into he air because it is so dangerous. Today's front pages delivered shocking headlines, For example a punter on the river cam yesterday was spotted with a face mask but today it has got a lot worse. The Prime Minister, David Cameron has cancelled his morning run.

I read a tweet earlier that summed it up. Paris has also seen high pollution levels so yesterday banned all cars in the centre and made public transport free. What does the British government do? Tell you not to go cycling incase you breathe something bad in. A school in London was even shut yesterday.

You may be reading this thinking what's my problem? If it's bad for your health it's all good advice but the thing is, unless you have chronic asthma or breathing problems the chances are you'll be fine. Cities in Asia for example suffer from serious smog. We need to stop hyping everything up.

Smithy

Strata Poster
I work in an underground car park 9 hours a day the **** is a little sand and dust going to do to me lul

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
To be fair, the smog has been disgusting here today. You could see it hanging over London like a thick, gross cloud. Been coughing and spluttering all day.

nealbie

CF Legend
Mysterious Sue said:
To be fair, the smog has been disgusting here today. You could see it hanging over London like a thick, gross cloud. Been coughing and spluttering all day.

Really, it was lovely in central today, I don't get what all the fuss is about.

marc

CF Legend
It's been bad at work, so bad that you cannot see the ground infront of you. We thought it was fog as it just arrived but then read the news. This was on Tuesday and Wednesday.

It's made me Ill, really faint sick and dizzy so much so I spent the whole day in bed today.

nealbie

CF Legend
Yeah, it must be, central and Chessington were fine on Wednesday, didn't notice much from the docks on Tuesday, no smog or anything.

Maybe London's own pollution is acting as a blocker! :lol:

marc

CF Legend
I'm shocked it never got to you Neal as I work in purfleet which is just down the road from you. It seemed to come over from Kent. It probably just got the Kent and Dartford area, it lasted an hour and was bloody horrid. Was around 9am on Tuesday.

nealbie

CF Legend
I'm surprised too then. Was nice and sunny whilst walking along the dock to my lecture. Might have hit my part whilst I was in the lecture though, because the evening papers were making a fuss, but I just passed it off as typical sensationalist journalism.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's overcast in Hastings with no chance if creds.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I've seen on the news here in the UK that parts of north east America are seeing a 'historic' blizzard. Do any CFers have pictures to share? I'd love to see them. The only ones posted on BBC are like this

_80540960_hi025607674.jpg

To me that doesn't look like a great deal :p wondering what it is really like.