What's new

The Weather

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
The weather is something us Brits just cannot stop talking about it and what with the god-awful weather, as far as I can tell, the world has been seeing recently I thought we should have a topic where we post the best pics of the weather we find or even take and to discuss the weather.

The US has seen epic winter storm after epic winter storm, I believe there's another one about to pounce on the eastern seaboard?

The UK has just seen its wettest January on record and London suburbs have flooded as well as much of the south west of the country since before Christmas. It's also sparked a political row but never mind about that. Today Wales saw 108mph winds.

Here are some pics from me:

_72932564_298ce08c-a6ff-4128-83b0-5a32330df482.jpg

Taken in Staines-upon-Thames, very close to Thorpe Park

article-2557440-1B6BB16600000578-491_964x640.jpg

Southsea, home to a couple of creds, being battered by the waves.

article-2557440-1B6C133900000578-544_964x864.jpg

Winds brought a branch down off this tree destroying the truck's carriage. The driver was not hurt.

article-2557440-1B6C72E600000578-870_964x604.jpg

At Manchester Airport, strong gusts made for a bumpy landing of this plane.

article-2557440-1B6AF2DC00000578-947_964x641.jpg

This picture taken in Somerset speaks for itself for how deep the water is.

Roads have been closed. Bridges have been closed. The Thames Barrier which is supposed to prevent central London from flooding has seen a fifth of its closings EVER since its opening in 1982 in the last 2 months.

nealbie

CF Legend
You should have seen some of the planes landing at London City Airport across the dock. They find it difficult at the best of times. <3

I love weather me. The best British analysis of the weather will always be at Copse corner at Silverstone though. Basically it was quite windy and then an old northern lady sat infront of us let it be known to the grandstand that it was "breezy as ****". xD

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
The last couple of days have been really cold here: 5º yesterday. This is in a country that doesn't bother with indoor heating.

I blame NASA.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Seems like I've been shoveling snow every other day for weeks now and tonight/tomorrow we're supposed to get another foot or more. :roll:

Here's a photo from out of my living room window that I took a couple of weeks ago. It's much deeper now, but I'll wait to post another after tomorrow's storm.

1496123_10151927207766336_376789227_o.jpg

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I love snow, this, so far, is the first year I can remember we haven't had any, it's just been a very mild, wet and windy winter.

Found this picture online
article-2557440-1B6E303600000578-13_964x519.jpg

The image shows a plaque on a wall on a building in Worcester. It says 'On the 12th of February 1795 the FLOOD rose to the lower edge of this plaque'. I find it ironic that on this one day exactly 219 years ago the largest flood to hit the area struck and then today, exactly 219 days later it happens again, but much worse.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
We had really odd weather yesterday - started off with heavy pi$$y rain, then at about 9:30 had a snow bliazzard until about 12.

Then sunshine for the whole afternoon!

nealbie

CF Legend
Jordanovichy said:
I love snow, this, so far, is the first year I can remember we haven't had any, it's just been a very mild, wet and windy winter.

Found this picture online
article-2557440-1B6E303600000578-13_964x519.jpg

The image shows a plaque on a wall on a building in Worcester. It says 'On the 12th of February 1795 the FLOOD rose to the lower edge of this plaque'. I find it ironic that on this one day exactly 219 years ago the largest flood to hit the area struck and then today, exactly 219 days later it happens again, but much worse.

It's amusing, but it's NOT ironic. Jesus.

Pierre

Strata Poster
It's not that grim up north :) bit of wind and rain but you know, good drainage and being the proper hard bastards we are, we just get on with it.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Yeah, I don't think the flooding is bad up north, that is generally confined to the south and south-west.

Quite a bit of snow has fallen in places in 'the north' though, hasn't it? :p

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
THat's because all of the people in the South are heavier than the fewer people in the North, so it dips the country down at that end. It's why Northerners and Scots eat so unhealthily, it's to try and balance the country out again and save you Southerners from drowning.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Oh right! It all makes so much more sense now!

This is a picture of the Somerset floods during the floods (top) and before the floods (below), it's a weird order but that's just the way I found it!

BgRu4n_CUAAvC-U.jpg

Pierre

Strata Poster
^ Well... yeah, partially. It was always well documented that 'global warming' would also result in other seasons throughout the year being more 'extreme' in their own entities.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
Pierre said:
^ Well... yeah, partially. It was always well documented that 'global warming' would also result in other seasons throughout the year being more 'extreme' in their own entities.

I was being partly facetious.

I believe that the world, which has been around for billions of years, is cycling through weather patterns. Looking at history, as science can show, stuff like this happens every so often. Things change.

Nothing regarding "global warming", in terms of the human impact on the planet, has been well documented. I guess, I should let a man who is a lot smarter than I sum it up:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB0aFPXr4n4[/youtube]

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
ECG said:
Seems like I've been shoveling snow every other day for weeks now and tonight/tomorrow we're supposed to get another foot or more. :roll:

Here's a photo from out of my living room window that I took a couple of weeks ago. It's much deeper now, but I'll wait to post another after tomorrow's storm.

1496123_10151927207766336_376789227_o.jpg
Got another foot of snow today with more on the way tonight. Here's what the view from my living room windows looks like now. I'd say we've gotten about 4 feet over the past three weeks, so the bush on the left in the photo above is completely buried in the snow now. Wonder if we can hit the six foot mark before it all starts to melt?

1656304_10151972223536336_1250493940_n.jpg

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I've been looking forward to this pic all day. I lead a very dull life ;)

But wow. How is it even possible to get around when it's like that? Your location is 'The Big Apple' but I am assuming you are outside New York? I know New York gets snow, often a lot, but that much? Wouldn't the whole city grind to a halt?

lauren

Roller Poster
Wow, I hope that system isn't coming up farther north. We have a ton of snow sitting around, but really no new snowfall during the past few days

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Jordanovichy said:
How is it even possible to get around when it's like that? Your location is 'The Big Apple' but I am assuming you are outside New York? I know New York gets snow, often a lot, but that much? Wouldn't the whole city grind to a halt?
I live in the suburbs about five miles from Manhattan and NYC gets a lot of snow (although not usually continuously like this year) on a regular basis, so the city is always prepared for it. Even when we've gotten 30+ inches in a single day it's been a bit difficult to get around, but nothing ever grinds to a halt because of a snow storm. The only storm that has ever really affected the city to that kind of extent has been Hurricane Sandy.

marc

CF Legend
That's meant to be coming here next week!

It's so wet out though I do not think it will settle, our main problem will be the ice.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I actually had to go out and buy a heater yesterday. This is NOT why I (practically) moved to South East Asia.

Stupid gay marriage.