What's new

The Ultimate is 20 years old this weekend < 3

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Full press release from the park:

This weekend will see the 20th Anniversary of The Ultimate Rollercoaster at Lightwater Valley, Ripon.

Over a 20 year history, the coaster named by BBC Radio One listeners and launched by Frank Bruno MBE in July 1991, has completed over 200,000 laps of the 1.5 mile track, carrying an approximate 7,500,000 passengers.

During the anniversary weekend Lightwater Valley will be welcoming back competition winners from the launch competitions which ran in regional newspapers in 1991. The winners, who are now in their 30s, will be visiting the Park with their families to experience how Lightwater Valley has changed and ride the coaster again.

The ride was formerly known as The Ultimate Beast and is Lightwater Valley's signature ride. It cemented the Park in the history books when it opened as the World's Longest Rollercoaster and, occupying 44 acres of land, the ride is still the longest in Europe.

After initial designs were completed by Big County Motioneering and the Park's original owner Robert Staveley, construction began on the ride in early 1990 and took teams from British Rail and the Park 18 months to complete.

Mark Bainbridge, General Manager & Director, said:

“The Ultimate remains a huge achievement of engineering and imagination. Twenty years ago the vision of Robert Staveley to construct the longest rollercoaster in the world was a major investment for the park but, two decades on, the ride remains a massive draw for visitors and roller coaster enthusiasts from around the world.”

He added:
“Constructing the roller coaster was a challenge but the end result is an enduring ride which continues to bring people great enjoyment.”

Lightwater Valley Theme Park in Ripon, North Yorkshire is home to over 40 rides and attractions. After developing from a self picking strawberry farm, rides were introduced in 1987 making it into a modern day theme park. Lightwater Valley Theme Park re-opened to visitors on 9 April 2011.

I love t'Ultimate and I hope they do have a 21st Birthday party for it next year as has been suggested.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_1f1vlAKRI[/youtube]

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^In the same way that 'humans' celebrate the 21st birthday. It's a bit like the 18th birthday, although I'm not sure it has too much relevance in the UK any more.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, The Ultimate has been buggering up riders for ages now, it's not like it needs a legal age limit to reach or anything ;)

Mackem Lad

Mega Poster

^Haha, excellent!

We really do need a 'like' button on the forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T0M

Hyper Poster
If it's done 200,000 laps, it really is a miracle of engineering how they've mainted it in working order considering its aggression.

I'd love to know the results of inspections and how much repair work is needed each season.

spicy

Giga Poster

Strange how in 20 years they haven't added anything of real note since The Ultimate. Looking at those pictures of it opening in 1991 you would think that Lightwater was a park that was about to become a really big park up there with the UKs best in the future.

T0M

Hyper Poster
marc said:
I remember when this was on Blue Peter, they were there when the ride opened lol.

Back when Blue Peter used to be decent and cover the opening of new rides! I feel sorry for the kids that watch it today.