What's new

The TV we watch...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's utterly barmy. I loved it, but it's lost that gritty realism of the first series (well, as far as you could take that) and just gone mental. It's like the difference between Nolan's and Burton's Batman films. It's going more Burton... Only mega violent.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Ben

CF Legend
I think I'll enjoy the second series more than I did the first - I liked the first but it's a bit, not Batman?

I'm watching Hannibal through again to start the third season - easily the best 'crime' show in ten years, it's utterly ****. Can't wait to watch the season two finale again <3

Also watching Scandal season 4 for something lighter and because Olivia Pope gives me life.

peep

CF Legend
Hmm, I need to catch up with the first episode of Gotham, I'm liking the sound of it. The first series was a bit of a mess but really gained pace in the second half.

I've been watching How to get away with Murder, which is fab. About half way through season one so far and it's just got a bit weird, hoping it gets back on track.

Also binged through the whole of Broklyn nine nine season 2 recently and it's phenomenal. I laughed so much I cried on several occasions.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

davidm

Strata Poster
Just finished binge-watching S2 of The Knick (thanks Sky OnDemand) - all directed by Steven Soderbergh and just outstanding well-made TV.

Clive Owen acting his socks off and tons of great supporting characters - excellent stuff all round.

Hutch

Strata Poster
I've recently binge watched through both Avatar the Last Airbender and Legend of Korra.

I grew up watching Avatar as a kid and loved it, and I decided to rewatch it and it's actually really good and I'm starting to appreciate it even more.

I didn't watch Korra when it first came out (except for one episode), so it was nice to continue on with the saga. I wasn't feeling it at first (first half of season 1 isn't great imo) but it gets much much better as the series goes on. It has spectacular action and a more mature storyline than Avatar. Add that to top-notch animation and soundtrack, it's really something special (just like the original).

Sandman

Giga Poster
Got round to watching the new Louis Theroux documentary on BBC 'Louis Theroux: Drinking to Oblivion'. It's an hour long documentary whereby Louis follows the staff and some regular patients at King's College Hospital in London. What I love about Louis' work is it doesn't hide behind tactical editing, dramatic musical scores or a pre-established bias. This, like the rest of his work, is all laid bare and very much 'fly on the wall' in style. A very interesting take on what could be just another scaremongering alcohol programme. This feels more respectful to both the topic and subjects of Louis' interviews and meets. Decent stuff, now I look forward to finally getting a release date for his Scientology documentary film.

jj23w

Hyper Poster
So decided to try out Daredevil and OMG it's actually really good. Started off really slow in the first few episodes then got really good and then the 2 episodes when everything was connecting together made the ending rather obvious the final fight between KingPin and Daredevil was amazing can't wait to watch Season 2.

Watched an episode of Jessica Jones earlier and from that alone I easily found my favourite MCU TV series.

peep

CF Legend
I didn't think the new Top Gear was too bad. I had to skip the interview section as Jesse Eisenburg was just awkward. Chris Evans needs to take a chill pill and he (as well as Matt) need to learn how to do a better voiceover. I still think there's potential for it to be good and it just might take a few weeks for them to fully get into the groove of things. These things don't happen overnight. I bet if you were to watch an ep of earlier Top Gear after the now famous trio formed they weren't very good.

I stopped watching the show properly a few years back anyway as I got bored seeing the same thing every week and as time went on I was finding their humour less appealing. So the show did need a mix up and I'm sure as time goes on it'll improve. Will I tune in next week? Maybe?

I recently binged through the second season of iZombie. OMG this show is too good, I absolutely love it and it doesn't always take the story route you expect which is nice. I want Season 3 now!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Top Gear was all WOOOOOH. Yeah!!!! Big applause. Same scripts, different presenter.

Apart from the obnoxious over enthusiasm, it wasn't totally awful. The problem was that they couldn't break the mould or it would be slated for being too different and by being too similar it's failing because they're not the original team.

If felt pushed and false, which the series was already, only at least you felt the original trio where enjoying themselves and having fun doing it.

Chemistry between Matt and Chris was zilch.

After Chris Evans tweeted about how popular it was THAT WAS A FACT. I won't be watching any more because he is a twat.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Smithy

Strata Poster
Yeah MLB was great imo, really got the show, will help it do well in America and in the segments away from the studio Evans was fine, it was his studio work I cringed at as he just seems too self aware and lame when trying to be funny, and his voiceovers were just trying too hard, constantlyt shouting.

I enjoyed it though, it was no worse than Top Gear had been in it's last few series with the other three.

Be keen to see what they do with Eddie Jordan next week, think it'll be two or three more shows before I settle on it.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Just finished the second series of Empire. Not a patch on the first series for the most part. Meh, I'll still keep watching it though.

I'm a few episodes in with series two of Gotham as well. Liking it well enough so far.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
furie said:
Top Gear was all WOOOOOH. Yeah!!!! Big applause. Same scripts, different presenter.

Christ, Chris Evans was obnoxious as hell. The first episode felt really scripted with no fluency when it came to dialogue. They relied a lot on getting audience opinion by making them cheer more than they needed which was annoying since Jeremy, James, and Richard gave their own unfiltered opinions before. Matt LeBlanc was fine but needs to break from the scripted demeanour. It just felt awkward having new presenters present changes to the show such as the derby course with no reasonably priced car. I really tried my best to find positive aspects about it but I was a chore to do so.

I came across a series known as Doc Martin on Netflix. Really charming and funny show. Highly recommended if you are currently in a "Show Hole".

mouse

Giga Poster
Overall I didn't think Top Gear was too bad, but it could've been improved if it began with a segment involving Chris Evans being thrown into a well. I found Matt Le Blanc to be quite funny and entertaining, he seemed more natural but then he is an actor. Chris Evans was just utterly cringeworthy, a big mistake. I think he was trying to be edgy and Clarkson-y, but he just came across as an overexcited child that's been allowed to try his dads beer for the first time. Also I don't like his voice.

I thought the segment with Sabine Schmitz was good and she was brilliant, so reckless and and entertaining. There should be more segments involving her and her driving instead of stuff involving Chris Evans. Or even just replace Evan's segments with some footage of a rock, it would be far more entertaining.

jayjay

Giga Poster
The new series of Taskmaster is starting on Dave (first episode already available online). For those who missed series 1, Taskmaster is a comedy game show in which Greg Davies plays the Taskmaster, setting challenges for the (comedian) contestants. Challenges are usually silly ("Move this styrofoam boulder as far away from here as possible in an hour", "Make a meal with ingredients starting with all 26 letters of the alphabet") but the real comedy comes from the solutions, where the contestants use lateral thinking and creativity (but usually pedantry) to come up with ways to solve the problem. Greg was made for his role, as the hard-to-please, sarcastic adjudicator. Among the stars of series 2 are Richard Osman and Jon Richardson.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Almost done with the new series of Orange is the New Black. I've got two episodes left, but frankly I've been bored s**tless so far.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Good start to the new season of BattleBots last week, should be a good season. They've doubled the size of the tournament from last year and seemed to have upped the amount of weapon diversity. Looks like we have a good season down the road ahead of us.

Rachel

Coaster MILF
I thoroughly recommend Stranger Things which has recently been released on Netflix.
Only half way through the first season but it's so good!

nadroJ

CF Legend
^Agreed. Think Goonies meets Twink Peaks meets X-Files. It's **** cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk