What's new

The Scottish Referendum

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I was shocked to see no topic for this!

So what do we think is going to happen? What do you want to happen?

Personally I'm not all that bothered, but if they do get independence it'd be cool to see how things change so I'm probably leaning towards that way. To be honest though, despite the race supposedly narrowing I can't really see it happening when it comes down to it.

Are there any Scottish CFers voting?

marc

CF Legend
Smithy said:
Sooner Alex Salmond is off my tv the better, either way.

Feel the same way tbh the guy is an idiot.

I think they will vote no tbh if they have any sense they will. The yes people are just not giving all the facts. A lot of the yes people believe everything it black and white and believe everything the yes people are telling them and saying the no people are lying.

If there was all this oil they would have got it years ago. Near enough every business has said costs will go up. They probably won't be allowed in the eu.

If they vote yes good luck to them I just hope they don't come running back.

Just want it over so the pound gets back to normal.

Smithy

Strata Poster
See, I would love in 15 years time for the oil to dry up and it to fall apart so I could laugh in the faces of the vitriolic abusive mongs within the Yes campaign who've abused and assaulted the democratic right to protest without fear of reprisal of anyone who so much as dare speak publically in favour of no. And Salmond.

But unfortunately the people who'd suffer would be those who probably didn't even vote for it.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
If I was scottish, I'd be miffed about how we're expected to make such a big decision with so little information there was on how it would happen - what are the sort of timescales and milestones during the changeover? What's going to happen with everything we share at the moment - eg trains? the NHS? currency and other financial details? - noone knows!

marc

CF Legend
Nope no ones knows and they don't seem to care tbh.

Many just want away from being run by London only they see not being run totally from London.

Let them get on with it, I would rather the UK be run by ukip than that idiot they have up there.

Snoo

The Legend
I wonder what the responses would have been in 1776 when the US declared "I'M OUT THIS BITCH!" :D

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
The funny part is Australia and the U.S. have both voiced support of keeping Scotland within the UK; two countries that have broken away from the UK. :lol:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I don't want them to go. Not because I particularly want the Scottish to stay (I'm happy for them to stay or go - it's up to them.

However, I don't see why anyone else should get the good fortune of getting away from the millionaire twats in London demanding austerity from everyone but themselves and laying down blame culture to distract people from realising that the country is being **** over to help the rich get richer while the poor and vulnerable get the blame, hate and **** end of the stick.

So I want them to stay because I don't have any choice.

To counter what Jordan and Marc are saying. In 15 years, when the trains are dead, the NHS is a paid for service we can't afford and we're all under the control of the far right from Britain First who can't spell, but can beat the crap out of anyone who disagrees with them - I suspect that Scotland Independent may be laughing at us ;)

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
furie said:
I don't want them to go. Not because I particularly want the Scottish to stay (I'm happy for them to stay or go - it's up to them.

However, I don't see why anyone else should get the good fortune of getting away from the millionaire twats in London demanding austerity from everyone but themselves and laying down blame culture to distract people from realising that the country is being **** over to help the rich get richer while the poor and vulnerable get the blame, hate and **** end of the stick.

So I want them to stay because I don't have any choice.

To counter what Jordan and Marc are saying. In 15 years, when the trains are dead, the NHS is a paid for service we can't afford and we're all under the control of the far right from Britain First who can't spell, but can beat the crap out of anyone who disagrees with them - I suspect that Scotland Independent may be laughing at us ;)
In seriousness, is that what you actually believe or is this exageration for comedic effect?

Pierre

Strata Poster
^ In fairness, this image has been doing the rounds on Facebook amongst my Northern friends...

10698411_10152797988185555_6430363524492226741_n.jpg

marc

CF Legend
Tbh if they vote yes then I think it's only right that we all vote to split from London and have states like the USA where tax codes and vat amounts can be set.

I just want them to vote no so it will shut some of the bigots up that I've had to put up with for ages on twitter lol.

There was a poll ages ago which showed if England voted in this then Scotland would win the yes vote. About 70% of people voted yes that they should leave.

It's interesting as many see them as a drain on out resources yet they see us as a drain on theirs.

It just scares me that they think they can stay with the back of England and they have all this oil, oil that costs loads to drill and then refine. Bp and shell would be more than happy to shut the drilling down as the profit is so low.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Joey said:
In seriousness, is that what you actually believe or is this exageration for comedic effect?

It's an exaggeration, but there's a degree of core belief in there.

On the whole, people who enter government are privileged individuals who have very little to lose, but lots to gain. They're supported by people and businesses who also have lots to gain from knowing people who make laws in government.

Most governments play the blame game to distract the populous from realising that most people earn very little while those connected earn huge amounts.

Labour started to blame immigrants (or rather, they allowed the media to and then rode the crest of the wave) about 10-12 years back. Coming here stealing our jobs; taking our benefits; living the high life while the good old hard working Brit suffers from heavy tax and underemployment.

It created an undercurrent of unrest, distrust and hate. The whole Iraq and Afghanistan thing also helped to unsettle things and to allow the media and government to create an atmosphere of "our good old boys are protecting YOU from THEM!"

This government has jumped on that by creating a feeling of distrust and hatred towards "benefit cheats", "dole loafers" and "the sickness holidayer".

Forget the bankers and energy companies giving out millions in bonuses. Ignore the friends of government ministers closing down local services and increasing profits at the expense of normal people (look at the way the NHS is being changed to private firms, and the schools are being sold off to private enterprises under the guise of "academies" - the grounds the schools stand on given away).

The problem is somebody unable to walk further than the car from the front door claiming £40 a week because they can't stack shelves at Asda. Blame the lack of jobs on the Polish, then blame everyone who doesn't work for bringing down the economy due to scrounging. Hell, blame the gays for getting married and ruining the weather ;)

It's all about making people look the wrong way, and that allows the UKIPs and Britain Firsts of the world to float into power. Blame THEM and WE look for a solution, usually one that has a mob mentality and that will solve the issue aggressively.

Obviously I don't take it THAT seriously and it's much broader than that. It's also the way that democracy works - it's not about hard work; it's about being in the right place, at the right time, knowing the right people with the right school tie ;)

And that's why the Scots want to be free, and who can blame them? While I think sense will prevail, the country will go further right over the coming years and we'll find our world shrinking as we look to the wrong people to blame.

Then it will be:

- sense. The country will recover economically and people will stop playing the blame game and everyone will chill out.
- state control tightening. Civil liberties will be lost, borders will become as tight as China's, etc.
- upheaval - rioting and violence as we saw in the 80's as the populace realises it's been duped and poked with the **** stick.

Current government is heading for "sense" due to the austerity measures working. I don't agree with the approach, but they do work.

If the economy bumps and we hit another recession though, we'll have one of the other two, depending on which way the spin is happening.

It's all a gamble for Scotland and I can understand why some people don't want to remain a part of Britain, but it's such a risk. However, why not take the risk - nothing good ever happened by sitting and letting things just happen around you. Seize the moment and you can grab a prize. If you fall? Somebody will always be there to pick you up :)

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
They're supported by people and businesses who also have lots to gain from knowing people who make laws in government.
So why isn't Tesco open 24h on a Sunday? :p

Lmao.

On a serious note I cannot understand why no one can ever see with politics that if it's not something it's something else, re: the blame game.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I will be very very shocked if they gain independence. It seems to me the 'yes' voters are of the same ilk as the bigots who voted UKIP, which scares me in a way considering how the recent European votes went, but I'd like to think the Scots have more sense than that.

I'm in agreement with Dan on this one, obviously I don't know how it's being reported/explained in Scotland but from where we're standing pretty much NOTHING has been explained, anything important has been shouted down by morons quoting Braveheart and all of the facts have slipped through the gaps, and that is scary.

marc

CF Legend
Agree with you Jordan. Seems like the yes people are just picking on the no people.

At work today a women from a Scottish store was in. We said yes or no, she said no. She said there is no way that idiot could run scotland and this whole two years has been wasted, plus the money spent. She has a 17 year old son who she thought would vote yes, he is also no as he feels scotland in 20 years time will be broke and there will be less jobs.

I think it will be close but not as close as people think.