What's new

The Road to Denmark (and back)

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Hobbes said:
CookieCoasters said:
If your parents aren't keen on the idea a 'road trip' with driving everywhere than it may be harder to convince them. If you end up doing one though, the best thing for your first one is not to throw shed loads of theme parks into the mix, you should spend an equal time doing non-theme park things.
My dad and I do go to theme parks just ourselves a couple times a year, because we both really enjoy them. That trip I mentioned a few posts back with Cedar Point and Dorney was just my dad and I, but we also did a couple other things, such as going to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and hanging out in Pittsburgh for a while. My dad likes driving, so a road trip doesn't bother him.

The problem is I've got two younger brothers who really don't have the patience for any kind of long driving (unless its overnight and they can sleep), so a road trip isn't their idea of a good time. Plus theme parks aren't their favorite thing (one brother is too short, the other just doesn't last more than a few hours). So even though my dad and I could pull off a multi-park trip, it just isn't going to happen for me any time soon.

For now, I'll just have to keep reading this report, and dreaming about when I get a car so I can do these
things myself :p

Ahh I see. My siblings are both older than me and have left home (well kind of), so they don't have much affect on where me and my parents go on hols. Dreaming is never a bad thing :)

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
Awesome report I'm really enjoying this one. I really love reading reports from countries that arn't the USA. I love US reports but it's just something about seeing other reports from countries that arn't your own that I love. Nice Job!

Edward M

Strata Poster
Good report, Orkanen looks surprisingly good. My biggest complaint with my experience on a SLC Jr was that it had rough headbanging with the OTSRs. I guess they fixed that :D

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
After a long day at Farup Sommerland we drove back to Silkeborg and we got up early again the next morning to go to Djurs Sommerland. This only took us 45-60 minutes in the car.

Djurs Sommerland

IMG_1022_zpsf6a92b1a.jpg

After noticing entrances more and more this summer as i have photographed them, i noticed that Djurs was the only one that didn't have its name on the front. Tbh it wasn't much of an entrance and i think that is something they could put some thought into in the future.

We got there at about 9:40 and like Farup we were let in the park at 9:45, but made to wait a little further on until 10.

IMG_0949_zps69afdd02.jpg

As soon as the ropes were released we rushed over to Juvelen Djurs Sommerland's new 2013 coaster

IMG_0921_zpsdffbba07.jpg

Juvelen is an Intamin Motorbike coaster, but uses quadbikes for its theme. The station and part of the queue line is a big jungle style temple which is excellently themed interiorly and exteriorly.

IMG_0996_zps69d7a539.jpg

The first launch, although not intense gets more powerful further and further along the launch track. Between the first and second launch the coaster is good, but nothing amazing with a few nice twists and turns here and there. The second launch is faster and more powerful and sends you flying fast into a turn followed by a sequence of out of control twists that are feel rapid and thrilling. The ride then ends with two hills which really ruin its pacing.

Juvelen is an exceptionally good family coaster and not many family coaster can rival it, but where it falls short is the inconsistency of the pacing with some parts being great, some good and some dull. However the section after the second launch is insanely awesome. All in all it is a great addition to the park and is a must ride for all enthusiasts. Much better than the Vekoma Booster Bikes IMO. 8/10

IMG_0932_zpsf2b8b41e.jpg

After we went round for a second go on Juvelen, we went to ride Thor's Hammer which was roughly in the same area.

IMG_0935_zpsb44d9f0d.jpg

Eurgh!!!! Just look at that water :roll:

IMG_0946_zpsb637c8a6.jpg

Thor's hammer was one of the earliest gerstlauer bobsleds and has the same layout as G'sengte Sau at Tripsdrill. I am a big fan of these coasters, not only because some of them are really good, but for the fact Gerstlauer actually made a better version of a wild mouse, rather than just jumping on the bandwagon with manufacturers like Mack and Maurer.

I have to admit, Thor's Hammer was probably my least favourite of the ones i have been on. Even though it is the same as G'sengte Sau, i felt that just had a bit more umph :) . It was still a good ride though and definitely preferable to a wild mouse. 7/10

IMG_0939_zps91a0ddc9.jpg

IMG_0954_zps2941b97d.jpg

We then made our way into the originally named Piratland (yes i can spell, but that's how they spell it :) ).

IMG_0969_zpsfeb4fe62.jpg

Easily the most anticipated coaster of the whole trip was the Intamin Mega-lite Piraten.

IMG_0968_zps6fc83ca9.jpg

Piraten was my first Intamin Mega-lite and i was very excited to ride and compare it to the Intamin Mega coasters i had ridden as they are in my top band of coasters. The trains are short to provide a more flexible and better paced ride for all passengers.

The ride is basically just lots of great ejector airtime, which is absolutely no bad thing and is probably my favourite coaster feature. My favourite section of the ride was the middle section, when piraten speeds through 3 twisted airtime hills which give an awesome feeling of ejector and lateral forces. The whole ride amazing and is well worthy of being in my top 5 coasters.

The only thing that puts Piraten, ever so slightly below EGF and Goliath is the small matter of size. It just kind of lacks that amazing first drop and opening airtime hill. The first section is still really good, but no where near as crazy as its middle and final sections. However, if the whole layout was elevated higher and extended a bit, i would say that it would be better than the two i mentioned above. Despite this, i still loved Piraten and it was easily the best new coaster of my year (so far). 10/10

IMG_0922_zps46f16900.jpg

After our ride on Piraten, we saw the queue had got quite a lot larger, so we made our way over too Skatteon. This is the parks quite new Mack Water Coaster. As you can see the queue for this ride was pretty massive and way out of the entrance.

As we got to the actual entrance the ride decided to break down :( :roll: .

IMG_0980_zps06b370a4.jpg

In the end we decided to exit Piratland and went to have some lunch over near our next ride,

IMG_0926_zps8ae1365f.jpg

This log flume has the same layout as the one at Farup, except this time we were prepared for the abrupt stopping at the bottom of the drops. I'm a sucker for three drop log flumes, so i definitely liked this one. Good fun ride. 7/10

IMG_0927_zps43670029.jpg

As the queue was short (unlike everything else in the park), we had a second go, before heading to the rapids.

IMG_0928_zps7b2b7154.jpg

If i'm honest i'm starting to get sick of European rapids rides as a lot of them seem to do everything in their power to stop the actual rapids getting you wet. There are some excpetions, but this was just another 'meh' rapids. Though there is a little surprise at the end that amused me. 5/10

IMG_1012_zpsacd08ca5.jpg

It had started drizzle on and off now, but nothing too major. We made our way through the very nicely themed western area to what i think is the jungle area where Thor's Hammer and Juvelen are.

The queue for Thor was pretty big and tbh i couldn't be bothered to wait in it so we just left it. Juvelen also had a massive queue, but i was planning on having a last go on that at the very end of the day.

IMG_0955_zpsf5f40a0a.jpg

Thankfully Skatteon had opened and the queue was about half the length it was earlier, probably because of the dark clouds in the sky.

IMG_0960_zpsfa8c2a01.jpg

I have to say, i was impressed. The ride kind of combines the two sections of Poseidon and rolls them into one. The curved drop and incline section was executed much smoother than Poseidon and was much more enjoyable. Skatteon had a very good final drop with some nice airtime and then a camelback into the water. It was a really good ride and probably the best new water ride of the trip. 8/10

IMG_0967_zps4e994171.jpg

IMG_1025_zpsd6251e5c.jpg

Me and my Dad had another two rides on the awesome Piraten in the light rain which seemed to make the ride run faster.

IMG_0924_zps9b45cfa3.jpg

I then convinced my Mum to have a go on the Water Coaster which she loved thankfully :) .

IMG_0974_zpsa8457903.jpg

After a little while i realised i still had the topple tower to go on, which was probably the biggest flat ride at Djurs. The thing about these rides is that they look cool, but ride pretty dull. The cycle was short and uneventful, so all in all not very good. 5/10

IMG_0985_zps9647c6e9.jpg

It was now time for a last two rides on Piraten and thankfully this area had quietened significantly since this morning so the queue was 15 minutes max. I can't express how great the ride is. Definitely my favourite coaster in Scandinavia, although Helix could give it a run for its money when that opens next year.

IMG_0994_zps718a3f60.jpg

Finally, we went to have a last ride on Juvelen where we waited about 45 mins which isn't too bad for a new coaster on a busy day. We rode near the front this time, but i can't say there is much difference between the front and the back.

IMG_0995_zps0a78db43.jpg

Sorry the pictures of the ride aren't the best, but it is a hard ride to photograph.

IMG_1026_zps1c078b21.jpg

Unfortunately, it was now time to leave. :(

Right lets end with the Farup vs Djurs battle of the best Sommerland :)

On theming Djurs Sommerland wins, mainly for the excellent effort they put into theming Juvelen. I feel it did not have as nicer surroundings as Farup and wasn't as well landcaped, but was still good. I am partial to woodland parks though. I think Djurs had a better ride selection than Farup and was more efficient. For other little special things though Farup takes the cake. I do think Djurs Sommerland is a really good park and the fact it has Piraten is major plus, but i really loved Farup as a park and even though it is tough, i am going to have to say Farup just edges out Djurs. Both parks though win the award for friendliest and most cheerful staff.

Thank you for reading my Djurs Sommerland Report. Next up the original Legoland in Billund.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
I can't really be bothered to a long report at the moment, but as i haven't done one for quite a few days i'll do short-ish one now and will post some pictures later.

Legoland Billund

The Park: I have always disliked the legoland we have in the UK because it is extremely busy and pretty much all the rides are crap, but people said the Danish one was much better and that Polar X-Plorer was really good, so then we thought it was worth a visit. The park was busy, but not mentally busy like the Windsor one and we never waited more than 30 mins for a ride. This Legoland is nicer however, because it is really a kids park, the ride section is still is very lacking for what i like and lego theming always pisses me off :) . Overall it was alright, and pretty much what i expected.

Rides:

Polar X-Plorer: Overall a solid ride. The coaster section had two moments of good airtime and a relatively intense downward helix. The drop itself was good but the theming inside was crap. The last section was pointless and boring. The trains were awesome though.

Now for the big question, Is Polar much better than Thirteen? My answer is no. It is better, but not much better. The actual drop was better, but Thirteen has much better theming inside its drop section. The coaster section is a considerably better, but the final section on Thirteen is much less of a waste. 7/10

Ice Pilots School: For those of you who don't know, this is one of those robotic arm things which is the same thing used on the Forbidden Journey ride at IoA. I thought it was going to be quite good, but the quick transitions caused some nasty head banging. 5/10

X-Treme Racers: Easily one of the most boring mice. It is trimmed to death, so the laterals are pretty much non-existent. DULL!!!!!! 4/10

Viking River Splash: The drop was good on this rapids, but the rest was very dire. Didn't get very wet, which was annoying as it was petty hot. 5/10

The Dragon: I have little recollection of the one at Windsor, other than it wasn't a powered coaster like this one so i can't really compare. Not one of the better powered coasters as the coaster bit was very short. 4/10

I had another go on Polar X-Plorer, but apart from that we didn't do anything else as we only had a few hours to spend and my parents wanted some time to look at the legoland model building things. Tbh though i didn't really have the need to do anything else.

As i said, i will post some pictures soon.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Good Report.

Never been interested in Legolands, but X-Plorer caught my eye. Looks surprisingly decent.